Earthquake

Glaciers

I don't miss the earthquakes! Glad everyone is okay. I was in all the southern California earthquakes between 1960 and 1985.

Sometimes I worry about a tsunami caused by a massive landslide while on my upcoming Alaska cruise. I know that has happened before.

Every time I see your CC handle I think about 1964. I used to work with a bunch of Chenegans who were hesitant to talk about Good Friday.

Yes, that is where the handle comes from. I know of the tragic story of the village in 1964 and teach it in my class unit on the earthquake of 1964 (this year is the 50th anniversary of course). One of the state fast ferries is also called Chenega and she travels the waters of Prince William Sound.

There is an excellent book on the tragedy titled THE DAY THAT CRIES FOREVER. Barnes and Noble carries it in story.

I had the privilege to go by the original village site last summer on a small charter boat; of course, we respected the site and did not land but it is a very beautiful place.

Edited by Chenega