luggage locks

weluvthesun

Even Rick Steves, world traveler, author of dozens of city and country guide books, host of weekly radio and TV shows, admits that he doesn't lock his luggage. And since he is a professional traveler, he uses his luggage much more than any of us do.

No locks. Just zip ties. And never had a problem, either.

Edited by swsfrail

So what happens if your case is unlocked, things are taken and you need to make an insurance claim?

Sandy in Spain

If your insurance company actually thinks that a flimsy lock on luggage will keep the thieves out, you are dealing with the wrong company. What is their name? Back Alley Insurance Co.? Under The Table Insurance Liquidators? Now You See Us, Now You Don't, Inc. ?

I'm curious...if you ("you" meaning everybody here) were forced to check your valuables, say $5000+ worth, would you still not put a lock on your luggage?

You have no other options, you cannot mail anything, you HAVE to check your valuables.

Edited by Sinewave4x4

I'm curious...if you ("you" meaning everybody here) were forced to check your valuables, say $5000+ worth, would you still not put a lock on your luggage?

You have no other options, you cannot mail anything, you HAVE to check your valuables.

Oooo, I love riddles! Here's mine!

If you were forced to check your spare pacemaker, your backup prosthetic leg, your extra pair of dentures, your case of plus sized adult diapers, and your seeing eye cockatoo, because your carry-on is full of smuggled booze and illegal diet pills, would you still not put a lock on your luggage?

You have no other options, you cannot buy this stuff where you are going, you HAVE to check your goodies.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Why so hostile? It's only a thought experiment. :confused:

Why so devoid of humor? I was only having a little bit of fun with the endless possibilities that people can come up with to justify having a lock? :confused:

As for your "thought experiment", you have narrowed down the possibilities so much that the situation is nearly illogical. What about putting your valuables in your carry on luggage? In your scenario, are you not allowed to have one carry on bag? What about leaving those valuable at home rather than bringing them on vacation with you? Or, if they are items of jewelry that you can't be seen out in public without, fit them into a secret pouch that you can carry under your clothing. Or,...... And the "or" possibilities go on and on.

I don't bring anything on vacation that I can't bear to lose (excluding hubby, of course :rolleyes:). Anything that I feel I could never replace (medications? money?) is in a bag that is either on me or at my feet. It's unrealistic to even imagine that one would be required to check everything, but even so, all the jewelry I own, put together, isn't worth $5000, and if it were of any monetary value and I had to bring it with me, it would be on my person...

We rarely lock our bags; however, I do think about "what about someone putting something in our bags" when we're returning from overseas. We were on a direct flight from Lima and were asked if our bags had been out of our sight prior to checking in.....no, but once they're turned in at a foreign airport, who knows? When arriving back in the US, we could have some "splainin" to do. :eek: Can't worry about everything tho. Carry our valuable documents, meds, etc. Nothing valuable in the suitcases.

We rarely lock our bags; however, I do think about "what about someone putting something in our bags" when we're returning from overseas. We were on a direct flight from Lima and were asked if our bags had been out of our sight prior to checking in.....no, but once they're turned in at a foreign airport, who knows? When arriving back in the US, we could have some "splainin" to do. :eek: Can't worry about everything tho. Carry our valuable documents, meds, etc. Nothing valuable in the suitcases.

I don't think this is rampant but it is something I am concerned about. I not only don't want people looking in my bag I also don't want someone adding something to it. Here are a few articles about drug smugglers using unsuspecting travelers as their mules.

The sad thing about this first article is he lost his job and had to get $100,000 bond. If you don't know you are responsible for the contents of your luggage. As you read and watch the video he claims he locked his luggage but when he retrieved his bag the lock was missing and the bag had a ribbon on it that he said he didn't put on. If he would have check his bag and alerted authorities beforehand he may have saved himself a lot of grief.

The lesson for me is know when someone enters your luggage. If you look at my post 32 I describe how I use 2 zip ties to tell if someone has been in my bag.

The other 2 articles describe the practice.

Shak

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/11/17/framed-at-the-airport-queens-man-gets-shock-of-his-life-at-jfk/

http://www.thefix.com/content/lax-bag-handlers-sentenced-airport-drug-smuggling-ring

http://dialogo-americas.com/en_GB/articles/rmisa/features/regional_news/2014/01/21/narcotrafico-aeropuertos

Usually, I use split-ring key rings to "secure" my zippers on my luggage. It's more to keep the zipper toggles together. I buy some that have the colorful webbing attached to them to add a measure of uniqueness to my bags.

I also have some Privaseal zip ties - they are individually numbered so it's pretty easy to know if someone has visited my bags. I used to get them from Magellan's site (sigh), but they are available on the Security Snobs website now.

Usually, I use split-ring key rings to "secure" my zippers on my luggage. It's more to keep the zipper toggles together. I buy some that have the colorful webbing attached to them to add a measure of uniqueness to my bags.

I also have some Privaseal zip ties - they are individually numbered so it's pretty easy to know if someone has visited my bags. I used to get them from Magellan's site (sigh), but they are available on the Security Snobs website now.

I am going to assume that the zip ties are secured to your luggage handle or d-ring. If not someone can enter your bag through the zippers with a sharp object can cover their tracks by running the zippers back and forth.

This video of a product will give an idea how I use two zip ties. One looped around the handle and one looped through the zipper pulls. You don't have to tighten the zip ties all the way. Once you put the through the lock of tie they will have to be cut off.

Shak

Hi everyone. Can you tell me if we should or should not lock our luggage prior to bringing it to the ship for embarkation? Thanks in advance.

The cruise lines advise you to lock your luggage. I do.