Judder on Aurora

silver surfer 2010

Has anyone noticed that as she goes above about 18 knots she seems to develop a judder in the propulsion?

We were on board in September and at times it was quite noticeable - nothing to put you off but it was there.

David

We were on Aurora for 14 nights in July and I didn't notice any judder anywhere. On other ships I have noticed vibration in the most peculiar places, eg the Crows Nest on Oriana, but as I say, nothing on Aurora.

We were on Aurora for 14 nights in July and I didn't notice any judder anywhere. On other ships I have noticed vibration in the most peculiar places, eg the Crows Nest on Oriana, but as I say, nothing on Aurora.

One of the reasons I don't like the Oriana was a very uncomfortable vibration in the Crow's Nest. I could also feel it in bed at night and found it disturbed my sleep.:(

Any craft that relies on a screw (traditional propeller or Azipod) will 'cavitate' the faster it rotates - some vessels more than others due to screw/hull design. Cavitation is the effect of creating bubbles in the propelled water where the screws are. The feeling is akin to being in a spa with bubbles all round your body ! It's generally more noticeable in calmer conditions - the choppier the sea surface, the more this condition is masked, to people onboard, by general pitch/yaw of the vessel.

Any craft that relies on a screw (traditional propeller or Azipod) will 'cavitate' the faster it rotates - some vessels more than others due to screw/hull design. Cavitation is the effect of creating bubbles in the propelled water where the screws are. The feeling is akin to being in a spa with bubbles all round your body ! It's generally more noticeable in calmer conditions - the choppier the sea surface, the more this condition is masked, to people onboard, by general pitch/yaw of the vessel.

I wonder if that's what we experienced on the Oriana. We were going quite slowly most of the time and generally in calm conditions.

All ships have vibrations and their own peculiarities as to how they move through the water which will vary with sea conditions and speed. I have travelled on Aurora several times for quite lengthy periods and have never noticed any particularly severe vibrations or for that matter judder certainly not anything out of the normal for a ship.