Ocean princess venice to rome

Bimmer09

It's great that we have cameras that can get some quality shots without a flash. We found out fairly quickly that the trade off was you had to hold the camera very still for a longer period of time in order for them to come out clear. We ended up with dozens of photos that looked like we were running past! Good thing we carried spare batteries, that extra processing chewed them up!

Those tapestries were amazing. Allessia told us to pay attention to the eyes of Jesus on that tapestry you snapped a photo of. She said that they eyes followed you as you walk through the hallway. She was right!

We became a little distracted during the pass through the hall of tapestries. One tourist was being scolded for taking pictures with a flash. A flash going off was like a car accident. Everyone turns to look at where it came from. She was immediately surrounded by a couple of tour guides. She got the message quickly, but I think one of the guides had to turn off the flash on her camera because she didn't know her equipment!

15563840288_7e8519a400_c.jpg

I can't believe this thing actually spins!

15563860758_394bacae29_c.jpg

Close up of the Sarchophagus of St. Helena

15129898113_b72b5acfcc_c.jpg

"River Tiber" statue is actually a fountain of sorts.

15750824302_588645ea5a_c.jpg

Water apparently came out of the jug, but when I went to snap a photo, I discovered something hidden inside.

Some great photos there Spinner . Yes Massimo had us walk back to the tapestry and watch as the eyes followed us. Good (ancient) trick which I had only seen before on a religious figurine in a Catholic friend's house. T'was creepy!

There's too much to see in the Museum-well same as any big museum-and with a time limit of two hours the pace has to be brisker than one would like.

So, moving on.

I liked getting an occasional glimpse outside to remind me of the gorgeous weather awaiting.

15119420454_629cbd68e5_b.jpg[/url]

I love maps and always have and was very good at Geography in school. It amazes me how the ancients managed to get a handle on where everything was and roughly how big it was.

15119982663_d3b8c53a61_b.jpg

Now we came to religious paintings

15119984473_ed16dffd7b_b.jpg

15553931258_6d1b5a1708_b.jpg

15554200767_750992c1cf_b.jpg

During our time in the Museum there would be rooms barred by a Security Guard. At a couple of these Massimo said "oh there's art in here I want you to see" and went and spoke to the guard. Immediate laughter from the guard and he opened the barrier and we were in. Massimo has a way with words but as he was speaking rapid Italian sotte-voce I had no idea what the magic words were.

I imagine he is well known in the Museum and he was the sort of character it would be hard to forget-larger than life.

There was already another small tour group in some of them who had entered from a different way that wasn't barred. They had their own guide.

15740918802_74ed586e50_b.jpg[/url]

15715660356_e114ab20aa_b.jpg

When the art ends-the tour has us in the Sistine chapel, for we would be in a no-photo zone.

15739377225_1b36ccdb9f_b.jpg

The art has ended and now we are in the Sistine Chapel, packed in like sardines.

People who have already had their fill slowly filter out the other side but they are replaced by more coming in behind us. You whisper and point and gesticulate as you stare at the ceiling where the amazing art is. Security Guards repeatedly call for silence.

Massimo again worked his magic by going up to people sitting on the few benches and speaking to them. Then they would get up and he would motion to Carol to come take her new seat. What a guy and she was very grateful to have a seat from which to gaze upwards at the art that adorns the chapel and makes it rightly famous. Check Google Images to see what I couldn't photograph.

The best was yet to come though, for me.

And it's coming up next.....

Now Massimo led us to maybe the most impressive structure I have ever set foot in- not counting the alien spacecraft that we often find ourselves abducted in.

I'll try and let the photos speak for themselves

15739378595_50757baa8c_b.jpg[/url]

15119427374_18dcc1048c_b.jpg

15553938088_4b06e350fc_b.jpg

15553500319_09c38dc089_b.jpg

I'd like to mention one more favor Massimo did for me. As I understand it there are only two paths you are allowed to take through the Vatican Museum, a shorter one and a much longer one. I knew somehow (probably from Rick Steves) that the Raphael Rooms would not be included in our shorter tour. But I wanted very badly to see The School of Athens, which I had studied in college and which had personal resonance for me. I asked Massimo if we could squeeze it in. He was torn: so happy to have an actual interested customer but knowing how strict the traffic rules were. But bless him he pulled it off and whisked us into and out of the room with the help of a guard and against all the traffic so that we could resume our short tour towards the Sistine Chapel. It was amazing. Norris has a photo of it above. Carol the grateful

Edited by Deck Chair Queen
  • Like 1

The "Pieta" (Pity) statue is now behind glass following a damaging attack by some babbling moron some years ago.

15554205227_12acf8f3e3_b.jpg[/url]

Too many heads in the way... I looked to Massimo standing behind me and raised my eyebrows. He understood and went up to the crowd in front and whispered in the ear of each in turn...something about "dorme con le pesche" (sleep with the fishes) and one by one they moved aside...

15554562400_d816f42a3f_b.jpg

Norris, you had an exceptional guide for the Vatican. I've been several times, twice with a guide, and we have never been able to get that close to the Pieta without hoards of people in front of us. Loved your pictures. The fact that he was able to accommodate Carol's desire to see the Raphel rooms was also amazing. Our guide last October was not able to do that even though I also asked. Of course, we were part of a group of 8, so I'm sure it would be more difficult to accommodate a small group vs. a couple. Glad you had such a fabulous tour of the Vatican!

Norris, you had an exceptional guide for the Vatican. I've been several times, twice with a guide, and we have never been able to get that close to the Pieta without hoards of people in front of us. Loved your pictures. The fact that he was able to accommodate Carol's desire to see the Raphel rooms was also amazing. Our guide last October was not able to do that even though I also asked. Of course, we were part of a group of 8, so I'm sure it would be more difficult to accommodate a small group vs. a couple. Glad you had such a fabulous tour of the Vatican!

I would say he was EXCEPTIONAL even if I just based it on HIS enthusiasm which spilled over and infected me. I hadn't even thought "Vatican" when we planned the trip as I am a confirmed atheist ( if I have to have a title at all) but art is art and we were looking at some of the greatest painters to ever clean a brush.

But he was bouncing up and down, laughing and smiling with glee when he showed us Michaelangelo's work (in particular) and I loved his use of "Carol and Norris" when beginning a sentence and the eye contact. His consideration for our pace and in finding seating for Carol and the charm he exuded when convincing people to give up those seats-everyone got up with a smile. He had a word with many of the security staff as we walked by and they all laughed like he was their best buddy. We learned a lot from him-Carol especially, as I was often lagging behind taking photos. To say he was a one of a kind character is not going too far.

We lucked out with our witty, generous driver Franco and then Massimo was the icing on the cake.

I think we would visit the Vatican again (not on a "free" day, or a Saturday) and it would depend if Massimo was available to continue our education. I personally would love to have a drink with him and just have a few laughs.

Rome in Limo came through in a big way for us-but judging by the Tripadvisor reviews, no one is disappointed in them.

Great to hear from you again!

Norris

• Like 1

I'd like to mention one more favor Massimo did for me. As I understand it there are only two paths you are allowed to take through the Vatican Museum, a shorter one and a much longer one. I knew somehow (probably from Rick Steves) that the Raphael Rooms would not be included in our shorter tour. But I wanted very badly to see The School of Athens, which I had studied in college and which had personal resonance for me. I asked Massimo if we could squeeze it in. He was torn: so happy to have an actual interested customer but knowing how strict the traffic rules were. But bless him he pulled it off and whisked us into and out of the room with the help of a guard and against all the traffic so that we could resume our short tour towards the Sistine Chapel. It was amazing. Norris has a photo of it above. Carol the grateful

Carol, were those pics that Norris posted all Raphaels? Or was it the one in the guilded frame? Great that Massimo was so accommodating! I know if I wouldn't have been able to see the Caravaggio's I wanted to see, let alone all the Bernini I wanted to see I would have been disappointed. Even with all the other stunning pieces surrounding me.

As a very young child, I saw the Pieta at the 1964 World's Fair in New York. An impression that led me to my lifelong love of Italian art and history. How unfortunate that these treasures today have to be kept so far away from us due to lack of respect and appreciation that some have for beauty and creativity.

As a very young child, I saw the Pieta at the 1964 World's Fair in New York. An impression that led me to my lifelong love of Italian art and history. How unfortunate that these treasures today have to be kept so far away from us due to lack of respect and appreciation that some have for beauty and creativity.

Amen!

It's a Mad World. I mean no offense to the many Babbling Moron action groups around the country.

Norris

Carol, were those pics that Norris posted all Raphaels? Or was it the one in the guilded frame? Great that Massimo was so accommodating! I know if I wouldn't have been able to see the Caravaggio's I wanted to see, let alone all the Bernini I wanted to see I would have been disappointed. Even with all the other stunning pieces surrounding me.

The Raphael's started at the bottom of post 579 and that reminded me of the favor Massimo did for Carol, hence post 580. The one where there are Philosophers about to walk down the steps...

Hopefully Carol will read this and comment. She's in the West Wing of our home at the moment- the Tintoretto Wing as I call it . I'll have the butler call her...

BTW Spinner I don't know if you saw my reference to the Borghesi Gallery a while back....lots of photos from there in the future.

Also BTW- is Spinner your real name?

Norris who cast off the screen name around day one on CC

The Raphael's started at the bottom of post 579 and that reminded me of the favor Massimo did for Carol, hence post 580. The one where there are Philosophers about to walk down the steps...

Hopefully Carol will read this and comment. She's in the West Wing of our home at the moment- the Tintoretto Wing as I call it . I'll have the butler call her...

BTW Spinner I don't know if you saw my reference to the Borghesi Gallery a while back....lots of photos from there in the future.

Also BTW- is Spinner your real name?

Norris who cast off the screen name around day one on CC

Do you also have a Raphael wing? I'm sure with all your travels you've got to have a wing with just refrigerators. Rooms and rooms of refrigerators. There has GOT to be a place for all those magnets you buy!

I did see the reference to Borghese, and I think you had one or two pics from there earlier? I know I saw Appollo and Daphne somewhere along the line. We hit Borghese on Saturday after Popolo. My absolute favorite piece of Bernini's is Rape of Prosperina. I could have spent most of the afternoon staring at it. But to get to Borghese, we walked from Popolo, up at LEAST 75 steps up to the lower level of Pincio. Then up a hill, and up about 50 more steps to get to the top of Pincio. Then trek across Borghese Gardens to get to the gallery where we had pre-purchased tickets. One bad thing about using google maps, they don't tell you that it's uphill the whole way. Seems to be critical information missing.

Spinner is my just my handle. I am Lori Sexson, spouse of Steve. Daughter-in-law to Marv and Lenora. They were my traveling companions on this cruise. It was my in-law's second trip to Italy, first for Steve and I. This was I think the 7th cruise for M&L. They've taken an Alaska, Panama, Italy, Scandinavia, two Caribbean and this second to Italy.

Spinner the Raphaels begin after the one in the gilded frame. They are frescos commissioned for that room illustrating philosophy, literature, etc. The cool story about The School of Athens (confirmed by Massimo when I asked him) is that Raphael used likenesses of contemporary artists (and himself) as models for many of the philosophers and according to the tale when he got a peek at what Michelangelo was doing over in the chapel he included him too out of respect. I had a literature professor in college who believed that all literary criticism could be summed up by the gestures of the two central figures - Plato pointing up and Aristotle pointing straight ahead. So incredible to see it in person over forty years later!

• Like 1

Do you also have a Raphael wing? I'm sure with all your travels you've got to have a wing with just refrigerators. Rooms and rooms of refrigerators. There has GOT to be a place for all those magnets you buy!

I did see the reference to Borghese, and I think you had one or two pics from there earlier? I know I saw Appollo and Daphne somewhere along the line. We hit Borghese on Saturday after Popolo. My absolute favorite piece of Bernini's is Rape of Prosperina. I could have spent most of the afternoon staring at it. But to get to Borghese, we walked from Popolo, up at LEAST 75 steps up to the lower level of Pincio. Then up a hill, and up about 50 more steps to get to the top of Pincio. Then trek across Borghese Gardens to get to the gallery where we had pre-purchased tickets. One bad thing about using google maps, they don't tell you that it's uphill the whole way. Seems to be critical information missing.

Spinner is my just my handle. I am Lori Sexson, spouse of Steve. Daughter-in-law to Marv and Lenora. They were my traveling companions on this cruise. It was my in-law's second trip to Italy, first for Steve and I. This was I think the 7th cruise for M&L. They've taken an Alaska, Panama, Italy, Scandinavia, two Caribbean and this second to Italy.

Lori, for a first trip to Italy you certainly made the most of it and packed a lot in.

The photos are coming chronologically so I hadn't taken any Borghese pics yet nor did I know what awaited me. Borghese was Carol's idea as she had read the guide books and listened to Rick Steves. Most of my ideas revolved around sitting in sidewalk cafes, people-watching, as if I had a month to spend in Rome.

Carol's unofficial name is Guide Book Carol and she has quite the library (in the North Wing) She finds great places to visit and then I keep us to our schedule like a Swiss Railway. My favorite paintings are by JMW Turner and I head for the French Impressionists at the Art Institute of Chicago so Renaissance Art doesn't stop me in my tracks as those do but I know skill and appreciate and marvel at the Renaissance.

Your InLaws have already hit most of the places on our bucket list.

I see your cruises have been spread out and wonder if the frequency will increase or if you love your land vacations as much as we do?

Norris

Spinner the Raphaels begin after the one in the gilded frame. They are frescos commissioned for that room illustrating philosophy, literature, etc. The cool story about The School of Athens (confirmed by Massimo when I asked him) is that Raphael used likenesses of contemporary artists (and himself) as models for many of the philosophers and according to the tale when he got a peek at what Michelangelo was doing over in the chapel he included him too out of respect. I had a literature professor in college who believed that all literary criticism could be summed up by the gestures of the two central figures - Plato pointing up and Aristotle pointing straight ahead. So incredible to see it in person over forty years later!

I'm so glad you got to see them. That is a really cool story about Raphaels' School of Athens. I'm going to write that in my notebook. Allessia had told us the story about Jonah and the Whale in the Sistine Chapel. About how Michelangelo had no idea what a whale looked like, so he walked down to the pier where the fishermen sold their daily catches. He asked them to show him the biggest fish they had. So they showed him a Tarp, or a Trout my notes are fuzzy. And then the story of the cleric who Michelangelo had painted in The Last Judgement. He was upset because the artist had put donkey ears on him. The cleric demanded Michelangelo remove his likeness but the Pope didn't want to anger the artist, so the image stayed.

I think your lit professor was right! Interesting how such complex ideas can be shown gracefully and succinctly.

I'm still trying to absorb everything that I saw. I am not really sure when I was able to close my mouth. Stunned, humbled, and blown away.

• Like 1

Lori, for a first trip to Italy you certainly made the most of it and packed a lot in.

The photos are coming chronologically so I hadn't taken any Borghese pics yet nor did I know what awaited me. Borghese was Carol's idea as she had read the guide books and listened to Rick Steves. Most of my ideas revolved around sitting in sidewalk cafes, people-watching, as if I had a month to spend in Rome.

Carol's unofficial name is Guide Book Carol and she has quite the library (in the North Wing) She finds great places to visit and then I keep us to our schedule like a Swiss Railway. My favorite paintings are by JMW Turner and I head for the French Impressionists at the Art Institute of Chicago so Renaissance Art doesn't stop me in my tracks as those do but I know skill and appreciate and marvel at the Renaissance.

Your InLaws have already hit most of the places on our bucket list.

I see your cruises have been spread out and wonder if the frequency will increase or if you love your land vacations as much as we do?

Norris

My traveling companions put me in charge of what we would see. Technically this was MY trip. I had been nagging Steve to take me after his parents returned and I was able to see their photos. It was my job to plan where to go and what to see. I tried to put in things that M&L had not seen the first time around. But there were things that we didn't see. We didn't get to see the Pantheon, or the Spanish Steps. And I would have like to have included San Giovanni Laterano. Funny how you were across from the Pantheon.... we were across from the Opera House! There was a children's program on Sunday night. Faint melody floating around, seeped into our open window.

I would have been thanking and thanking Carol for insisting on Borghese. Crowds were low and wow factor was high!

We do love our land vacations. We have a house in Mexico that we go to often. It is in Puerto Penasco, and is just a four hour drive from Phoenix. But Steve is not yet retired, so we work within his schedule. Do you have any relatives in Colorado? We have a dear friend who is an Adair, who also has a house in Penasco.

My traveling companions put me in charge of what we would see. Technically this was MY trip. I had been nagging Steve to take me after his parents returned and I was able to see their photos. It was my job to plan where to go and what to see. I tried to put in things that M&L had not seen the first time around. But there were things that we didn't see. We didn't get to see the Pantheon, or the Spanish Steps. And I would have like to have included San Giovanni Laterano. Funny how you were across from the Pantheon.... we were across from the Opera House! There was a children's program on Sunday night. Faint melody floating around, seeped into our open window.

I would have been thanking and thanking Carol for insisting on Borghese. Crowds were low and wow factor was high!

We do love our land vacations. We have a house in Mexico that we go to often. It is in Puerto Penasco, and is just a four hour drive from Phoenix. But Steve is not yet retired, so we work within his schedule. Do you have any relatives in Colorado? We have a dear friend who is an Adair, who also has a house in Penasco.

Lori, I did thank Carol for the Borghese idea. It was a wonderful brief experience well worth the taxi ride through some beautiful and hilly parts of Rome. The taxi was 14E I think and took 25 mins or so on some nice wide streets. We liked the gardens there too. They had benches!

I had to hand over my camcorder at the coat check -don't know why cameras are allowed while camcorders not. Same in the Vatican.

Plenty of Pantheon coming up as we near the end of our RIL tour and get to our hotel room. We never made it to the Opera House. I imagine a future visit would hope to catch an Opera in Rome as we did in Venice.

No relatives in CO to the best of my knowledge. All are in the UK. We have driven through CO a couple of times (catching a steam train to New Mexico) and like what we see.

Norris

Allessia pointed out many of the ceilings and walls that looked 3D, but were actually flat. Three dimensional without the silly looking glasses!

Yes, the slope of the dome is real, but each square panel with it's medallion is flat.

15571701799_5926aeeffa_c.jpg

15571692209_34f6dc3ac2_z.jpg

15137569384_73a89f5696_z.jpg

The "tape" across this panel was the only real visual clue that the panel was actually flat.

15138132923_1810fc88f3_z.jpg

Am I the only person who feels the strong desire to moo like a cow as the crowds slog along the hallways?

Allessia pointed out many of the ceilings and walls that looked 3D, but were actually flat. Three dimensional without the silly looking glasses!

Yes, the slope of the dome is real, but each square panel with it's medallion is flat.

15571701799_5926aeeffa_c.jpg

15571692209_34f6dc3ac2_z.jpg

15137569384_73a89f5696_z.jpg

The "tape" across this panel was the only real visual clue that the panel was actually flat.

15138132923_1810fc88f3_z.jpg

Am I the only person who feels the strong desire to moo like a cow as the crowds slog along the hallways?

Stunning shots. Such artistry and care.Such pride in their work and no attempt to cut corners. Ever hire a 21st C painting contractor to paint a flat wall in your home?

Thank you!

Norris