Ocean princess venice to rome

Bimmer09

Norris --

I have been enthralled, from the beginning to the latest, with the coverage of your and Carol's trip. You revived such wonderful memories. Even after three trips to Rome, I would return in a heartbeat to visit places still on my "tick list". At least you did not make any faux pas as did I. :<) Embarrassing on my part but waved off by the gracious Italians. That, I will always remember.

The name of the church in Piazza Navona is St. Agnes in Agony. The interior is breathtaking.

I am looking forward to your final thoughts on this trip and eagerly look forward to your next one. I wish you fair winds and calm seas.

A very grateful reader, SilverBird

Thanks for the name of the church in Piazza Navona-will have to see the inside on our next visit.

I'm glad you have enjoyed following along, all this way, and that it has brought back memories for you.

Thanks for the kind comments!

Norris

Please take another trip soon.....

Well the next one is the Ruby January 24th to the Eastern Caribbean, so a much less exotic trip than the Ocean.

It's our annual "escape the Chicago winter cruise".

We have been on the Ruby before and this will be our first time to repeat a ship.

We haven't booked excursions yet.

No doubt a review will follow in February.

Thanks for following along on this one!

Norris

After another glorious sunset I took a nap and it was 9 pm before we were awake again. We weren't ready for another meal, following a big pizza each so we thought we'd stroll over to Piazza Navona and have some gelato at a restaurant there with outdoor tables.

Piazza della Rotunda was it's usual busy self as we left the hotel and began our march.

15540064247_de76635c22_b.jpg[/url]

The gelato mission was accomplished at great cost. The beer alone in the photo was 10E or $13 and two drinks/2 gelato cups cost @ $45. But we were on holiday and this was our last night. I think the place was Tre Scalini (?). Maybe Carol remembers the name.

15726790502_8934a0fb63_b.jpg

It was however a good spot to sit and watch the people in Piazzo Navona-such a busy hub for strollers, diners and buskers. The Police are there, watching too.

15539341659_abb7f8fde7_b.jpg

We have no equivalent to these Piazzas in Chicago: no wide squares ringed by restaurants where people congregate peacefully to enjoy the food and the night air. You don't really need to look for something to do at night in Rome when the weather is fine. You don't need to go see a movie, an Opera, a play. You are unlikely to stay in and watch a movie. Everything revolves around being outside eating dinner or dessert, moving perhaps from one restaurant to the next for each course. People are drinking yet no signs of drunkenness. Strangely you don't have to shoo beggars away. I didn't see any homeless people in our neighborhood.

There are two dazzling sights in the square. This is one of them. The Church of St Agnes in Agony-and we all wish her a speedy recovery.

15726795462_050f06dac4_b.jpg

The fountain, sculpted by Bernini, represents 4 rivers-The Hudson, the Mississ-no wait a minute. 4 rivers- the Danube (Europe), The Ganges (Asia), the Nile (Africa)

and the River Plate (America). Australia got snubbed!

So much going on!

15539804868_3b768fb895_b.jpg[/url]

15726793522_91508ff48c_b.jpg

15539346609_df406b711f_b.jpg

At some point we had to stop and look all around us at Piazza Navona, taking a hundred mental pictures and then turn away from it and head back to our hotel as the clock was ticking. Norris still had to do his packing!

Thank you Norris for sharing your journey with us. Italy has been on my bucket list for a while and you have made me even more determined to get there one day :-)

I have also spent a couple of wet Australian weekends catching up on your other adventures and appreciate the detail you include so that new cruisers like myself (Dawn Princess January 2015 to NZ) have an inkling what to expect and more importantly what to look forward to!

Happy cruising and I'm looking forward to reading about your next adventure in February :-)

Jodie

Thanks for taking us on your adventures with you, loved every moment.

When you return to Italy make sure you include Florence ,it too will impress you.

Pretty sure Australia hadn't been discovered when Bernini was doing his best work ! Ha!

I too can't wait to return to Italy , so much to see & experience , I'll keep dreaming !

Thank you Norris for sharing your journey with us. Italy has been on my bucket list for a while and you have made me even more determined to get there one day :-)

I have also spent a couple of wet Australian weekends catching up on your other adventures and appreciate the detail you include so that new cruisers like myself (Dawn Princess January 2015 to NZ) have an inkling what to expect and more importantly what to look forward to!

Happy cruising and I'm looking forward to reading about your next adventure in February :-)

Jodie

Jodie- your first CC post so welcome to the best resource for cruisers.

I am glad you looked at some of my other stuff and can find helpful info in them.

If I wasn't so lazy and forgetful about making notes as I go then there would be all the Patters, Menus, names of the crew including the ship's cat etc etc.

Personally I haven't ever seen the need to see a Patter before I get on the ship. I know there will be trivia, Bingo, lectures, shopping plugs for Diamonds I could care less about, some dance classes, teeth whitening, napkin folding, tea-cosy designing, Navigation by the stars and a myriad other things that I can wait to find out when on board and the Patter is in my mailbox.

Same with the menu- I eat almost anything, except egg whites and as long as the ship doesn't go vegetarian as I am walking up the gangway I'll be fine with whatever they decide to do with beef chicken lamb and potatoes. Any fish is welcome on my plate-there have been no big surprises on Princess when it comes time to eat my tucker.

But who knows-next cruise I might photograph menus and such. I have been on the Ruby before and took a lot of photos. Maybe this time I'll have more people in them. I will certainly attempt more night time shots which I got better at this time...we'll see. Each cruise so far has been a new adventure. This will be the first time on a repeat ship going to islands we have already set foot on.

Thanks for responding!

Norris

Thanks for taking us on your adventures with you, loved every moment.

When you return to Italy make sure you include Florence ,it too will impress you.

Pretty sure Australia hadn't been discovered when Bernini was doing his best work ! Ha!

I too can't wait to return to Italy , so much to see & experience , I'll keep dreaming !

Thank you!

We have all the Rick Steves shows on DVD and will look again at Florence.

Carol was there on her first visit to Italy but many years ago.

Last night we re-watched an Anthony Bourdain Layover in Rome and there were only a couple of districts he set foot in that we had visited so there is plenty of exploring that stunning city in our future. When I can't say but a cruise won't be involved. In the meantime we'll continue learning Italian.

Thanks for reading this from stem to stern. I'll go back and do that once it is done which will be soon.

Norris

I get an e mail a day from Oceania and surf their CC board too. Great itineraries and beautifully appointed ships. They are a great option.

Who knows what the future holds-but it's unlikely to be ships larger than Princess Grand Class for us.

Have you sailed Oceania?

Norris, thanking you for the kind remarks.

Yes, we sailed from Athens to Rome in 2011 on Marina and from Istanbul to Barcelona on Riviera this past May. Absolutely love Oceania. The food is wonderful, great crew and co-passengers, beautiful ships, no formal days, no photographers, no constant upselling, etc. I really think you and Carol would enjoy them (as, I think, you would Azamara - which I haven't sailed).

The Oceania boards can be a little quiet and sometimes I think some of the regulars can be quite harsh, but they are an enthusiastic group. Our experiences on the ships with other guests is almost 100% positive.

Yes, we sailed from Athens to Rome in 2011 on Marina and from Istanbul to Barcelona on Riviera this past May. Absolutely love Oceania. The food is wonderful, great crew and co-passengers, beautiful ships, no formal days, no photographers, no constant upselling, etc. I really think you and Carol would enjoy them (as, I think, you would Azamara - which I haven't sailed).

The Oceania boards can be a little quiet and sometimes I think some of the regulars can be quite harsh, but they are an enthusiastic group. Our experiences on the ships with other guests is almost 100% positive.

I've read some good photo journals by a man whose screen name is computer works (Ron who sails with his wife Angie) and the ships/food/cabins look great.

One turn-off is the daily emails where the cruises are always 50% off (2 for 1) and the regular price is a ridiculous number-like the prices in an airport or a Macy's non-sale price (a fantasy). The suites on Princess are great-especially the Ocean P-and I love the Grand Class with so many aft suites to choose from.

I haven't unsubscribed from the Oceania deluge as, like Azamara they do have some great itineraries and the ships are stellar.

Thanks for validating Oceania. That helps.

Norris

We left Piazza Navona, hopefully to return some distant day in the future when we will have a week to spend seeing more of what we missed.

Piazza della Rotunda won't be forgotten in a hurry

15701527116_0c722d916a_b.jpg[/url]

15540065517_9925f60888_b.jpg

Nor the Albergo del Senato

15540066267_49f5f63a61_b.jpg

We entered the hotel for the last time

15726800332_5e67082bf5_b.jpg 15726800332_5e67082bf5_b.jpg

15752925506_f13ae7c450_b.jpg

IT'S BEEN FUN !!

Loved your trip report. Now that you mentioned getting a taxi to and from the Borghese Museum I will plan on getting tickets before we leave. Thank you for a very interesting and fascinating review. I'll be looking to have one of those artichokes as I love them and have noted what restaurants you ate at.

Jackie

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Thanks again, Norris, for taking the time to share these wonderful memories with us. I was just checking through some of my travel diaries. We first visited Rome on our own on a land vacation in 2008 and, like you, fell in love with the city.

We did all the sites you visited and it was a wonderful trip down memory lane with you and Carol.

We were lucky enough in 2012 to spend 3 days precruise and 3 days post cruise in that beautiful and interesting city again.

I know you will really enjoy our planned longer visit. All the best to you both.

Loved your trip report. Now that you mentioned getting a taxi to and from the Borghese Museum I will plan on getting tickets before we leave. Thank you for a very interesting and fascinating review. I'll be looking to have one of those artichokes as I love them and have noted what restaurants you ate at.

Jackie

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Thanks Jackie. Before you get in a taxi to Borghese Gallery just ask for a quote.

I did (took 3 taxis in one day)That way there can be no shenanigans. Not that I particularly distrust Roman cab drivers but it pays not to be the Innocent Abroad

The artichokes were from Virginae restaurant which we would return to but there are so many to chose from in Rome. There was at least 5 in the square where we stayed. Carol was reading that it is common for locals to hit 3 or 4 in an evening stroll-one course in each as some restaurants would have specialities they were known for. I enjoyed every Italian meal we had in Venice, Rome and Positano and that was a very pleasant surprise to me as I have explained earlier.

I will do some kind of round-up on the whole trip. Hopefully today as it is snowing and I am home.

I have appreciated all the feedback. I like to know who I am sharing with.

Norris

Thanks again, Norris, for taking the time to share these wonderful memories with us. I was just checking through some of my travel diaries. We first visited Rome on our own on a land vacation in 2008 and, like you, fell in love with the city.

We did all the sites you visited and it was a wonderful trip down memory lane with you and Carol.

We were lucky enough in 2012 to spend 3 days precruise and 3 days post cruise in that beautiful and interesting city again.

I know you will really enjoy our planned longer visit. All the best to you both.

I am envious of all the time you have spent in Rome. Even though I have watched Rick Steves, enjoyed the HBO series Rome, have books written by Julius Caesar on my shelf, nothing really prepared me for how beautiful and interesting it is.

I was similarly smitten by Berlin although it has nothing like the history or contribution to society that the Roman Empire had and it all began in Rome the city.

I expected the city to be much more gritty and urban but I rode on beautiful tree-lined boulevards where suddenly around a bend I would come across a 2500 year old row of buildings. I loved the warrens of narrow cobbled streets particularly as they spoke of times when horses and carts determined the early streets and people lived close together behind a protective city wall.

Everyone was friendly and I was always waiting for the rude Italian waiter who hated Americans and I couldn't find one. I never had an uneasy moment day or night and I was on the streets alone in the dark in the early morning.

I can say that since we came back from the cruise ROME has been the main topic of conversation. By writing this epic we won't forget all the other marvels we saw before we got to Rome and now that I have a URL I can share this with all the people in my life who don't read CC.

I am glad you joined us on this narrative-that makes it all worthwhile.

Thanks for the kind wishes!

Norris

Will miss you and thanks so much....may pick your brain should our trip in sept actually comes to fruition...

Thanks for the kind words and pick away when the time comes!

Norris

Thank you so much for another very excellent and detailed review Norris. I've thoroughly enjoyed travelling along with you and Carol.

*sigh* I'll miss my daily fix very much.

Well, take a nice long rest as it will be 65 days before I set foot on the Ruby.

Thanks for following along!

Norris

Thanks for taking the time to share your trip with all of us. I always enjoy your reviews and your wit. We were on the Ocean Princess in French Polynesia back when she was the Tahitian, and enjoyed everything about the small ship experience. We also sailed the Emerald on a 12 Med cruise I. 2009, so many of your stops brought back some terrific memories for us. We hope to take a smaller ship the Med someday. Your review certainly whet our appetite for that. Thanks again! Can't wait for your next adventure.

Thanks for taking the time to share your trip with all of us. I always enjoy your reviews and your wit. We were on the Ocean Princess in French Polynesia back when she was the Tahitian, and enjoyed everything about the small ship experience. We also sailed the Emerald on a 12 Med cruise I. 2009, so many of your stops brought back some terrific memories for us. We hope to take a smaller ship the Med someday. Your review certainly whet our appetite for that. Thanks again! Can't wait for your next adventure.

Ruby Jan 24 is next adventure and beyond that I don't know if any more cruises in 2105. We have a Norway on the CB booked for Aug 2015 but if the Bayreuth festival offers us tickets again that cruise will get canceled.

Thanks for responding. The Ocean was a great experience and she will be missed.

Norris

Well, take a nice long rest as it will be 65 days before I set foot on the Ruby.

Thanks for following along!

Norris

LOL Norris, *snap*. As you board the Ruby on January 24th we will be boarding the Dawn Princess for a mini cruise to Tasmania. I'll be up in the smoking section toasting you with a cleansing ale at sailaway.

Thank you,Norris for your excellent account of your travels on the Ocean Princess and your stay in Rome.

The Ocean Princess looks like a lovely ship- so different from Princess ships that my DH and I have sailed on- the Crown, the Sapphire and the Caribbean Princess.

We would like to sail on a ship that is in the same class as the Ocean Princess-perhaps the smaller ships that sail in Alaska.

I have to agree with another poster that you must try to visit Florence if you have an opportunity to visit Italy again

I think that you and Carol would enjoy that lovely city and the countryside around it.

I am looking forward to your writings about the upcoming cruise on the Ruby.

Your travel accounts make very good reading!

Wishing you and Carol many good travel adventures!