Ocean princess venice to rome

Bimmer09

A quiet square behind our hotel. The Police have little boxes on some streets like this one. A mini-office. If you are lost ask a Policeman.

15539189029_b29e2b8189_b.jpg[/url]

Time to head back towards the Pantheon as we were meeting for breakfast at 9.

15539202049_f86599a21d_b.jpg

The cafes were now set up so I sat at one and had an espresso. The head waiter told me he worked in a great restaurant in Campo di Fiori called Siciliano and said I should stop by and dine there tonight. I filed the info away as we hadn't made a plan for tonight's dinner. We hadn't even had breakfast yet.

15105705753_010604ab6f_b.jpg

Carol was sitting out on our terrace with her Kindle (top left of hotel)

15726652522_85e412347d_b.jpg

Lori, as it happened we watched a TV show called House Hunters International last night- couple from Phoenix (Ed and Gracie Conner) buying a condo on the beach in Puerto Penasco. Neither of us had heard of that location until just now.

Seemed like serendipity. It looks like a fine place and I can understand why you would buy there.

Norris

That is a timely coincidence! They have done a HHI twice that I know of. The first one they had a family looking at some of the condo's down the beach from us at least 3 miles, closer to Mayan Palace.

Here is an aerial shot of where our house is located. We are down the beach a bit but we sit on top of a hill with the estuary behind the house.

15583723219_4301cc6cdf_o.jpg

The newest water sport off the beach is water jet packs that run with wave runners. If you look close, you can see a friend of ours launching off the water. The picture was taken from our balcony.

15767637141_c34659254c_b.jpg

I think she needs to at least visit it once (or twice) again. This was a revelation to her as she hadn't been there in so long. She's ok with not returning to Venice again but Rome she has to. Two days was just scratching the surface. A week would really help.

Norris

I'm with Carol on that one. Venice, not so much, but more Rome!

Norris, what can I say? Rapturous. Your photos and video have transported me back. It was thrilling to see again the lovely Pantheon, which I think is my favourite building in Rome. And to see the dear del Senato and "my" window. And the same streets I just walked eleven short months ago (well, it feels short!). *sigh*

I'd like everything you and Carol had for dinner! Except the artichoke.

I smiled when you said the nice weather had brought people out. It was chilly the two nights I was there (well, it was December, after all) and the streets and the square were just as crowded as for you in September. I saw a House Hunter's International (big fan of HH here!) episode in which the Italian agent pointed out to the Americans looking for an American-sized apartment that Italian people lived their lives out in cafes and in the squares and didn't need a big place to hang out at home. I love that philosophy. Just as long as I have a big closet for my shoes . . .

Those ruins, Largo di Argentina, include, some say, the theatre where Julius C. was assassinated. And cats -- lots and lots of cats. I had photos in my review. Even a few of the cats.

You are going to love galleries Borghese and I can hardly wait to see your pictures. (Of course you have already been there by now)

Somehow I missed the video of your evening and dinner. Really enjoyed seeing those familiar surroundings.

BTW when we were there the first time we stayed at suites Belcarria del Popolo, not too far from the Spanish Steps.

We took the subway a few times but we mostly just walked for miles and miles every day. Just so enjoyed immersing ourselves in that wonderful city. You transported me right back there. Rome is a truly magical place.

The hotel provides breakfast for it's guests starting at 7.30 am on the ground floor. There are two rooms one of which houses the tables of buffet food and another narrow side room which is much quieter and that is where we sat as WE LIKE QUIET!! (sorry for shouting)

I would put up photos of the buffet but I didn't take any as it was a modest affair. It had enough of the things I like for breakfast- the deli meats-ham, salami, mortadella etc, some rustic bread and honey. There were eggs-the steam tray scrambled eggs which I usually avoid, probably put out for American guests who must have eggs in the morning. Fresh pastries and croissants . Fruit.

The important thing was a waitress brought us cappuccinos and mighty fine they were.

So not the Ocean Princess nor Bellagio buffet but something to ease one into the day.

Here's a man in the buffet.

15539921997_75a722444d_b.jpg

Our plan after breakfast was to walk to Castel Sant' Angelo which sits on the banks of the Tiber near the Vatican.

You know we like Opera right? Well you must have heard the name Puccini who was Italy's last great Opera composer. He wrote an opera called Tosca about an Opera singer (long story short) who kills the Chief of Police in Rome and before she can be captured (and thanked?) she dives head first off the ramparts of Castel Sant' Angelo into the Tiber to her death (curtain, applause). It's a barnburner of an opera with great songs, some torture and a good fatal stabbing to great music. It is set in Rome and we were visiting some of the places mentioned in it.

Norris

I would say that statement is the first one EVER to have me considering listening to an opera!

Cheers! (c ͡|Q ͜ʖ ͡o)-c[_]

LOL Lori !

All operas have to have a story- they are stage plays but sung not spoken.

Opera has been around since 1600, started in Italy. They are staged on a scale that play theaters can't achieve. It's better to see one than just hearing it, although once you like a certain opera you can listen to it in the car or at home and imagine what is going on. People are always dying (usually stabbed, shot or strangled or burned alive) but they get a chance to sing one last song.

The Met Opera House in New York does HD broadcasts to select movie theaters that have the satellite equipment as the shows are live. Those are popular.

The Met Theater in Manhattan holds 4,000 people and in some operas there can be as many as 280 people on stage during a scene. Animals such as horses and dogs appear on stage in some shows. It's larger than life and there is a 100 + orchestra banging away. The singers sing without microphones.

People sometimes ask me what is the best opera to start with and the answer is always the same- get a DVD of La Boheme (Puccini) with either Jose Carreras or Luciano Pavarotti. Put it on your TV, get some popcorn and a box of Kleenex.

The movies have subtitles in English (sung in Italian). You'll either love it or hate it. A good city library will have some Opera DVDs to borrow. Youtube has 1,000 s of opera clips.

If you like the first opera you see then there is a treasure chest opening up before you. If you don't well at least you gave it a shot. You have to like singing first of course!

Norris

The hotel staff had given us a handy map of Rome and Carol also had her trusty laminated fold-up one that she gets for major cities. We also had Google maps on our phones so we were covered. We were heading out for a walk to Castel Sant'Angelo on the bonny bonny banks of the Tiber.

We chose a route that would deep us on the quiet side streets away from crowds and bus routes.

First we had to pass through Piazza di Navona which was our first visit in daylight.

15540257320_6913be2d2d_b.jpg[/url]

15725112245_3a1b54e915_b.jpg

Exactly the kind of street I like to walk down

15539217799_e4fb91c217_b.jpg

Man sitting in street reading a newspaper with dogs

15725115475_a02a35b10e_b.jpg

Romans just like to be outdoors when the weather is this good. As Annie said city apartments (at least the ones we see on House Hunters International) can be very compact and if you don't have a balcony then take to the street with a folding stool. Go sit at a cafe and have a coffee, read your paper at leisure, talk to a stranger.

We walked at a relaxed pace as we had nowhere to be in a hurry, in contrast to the day before. Just soaking up the calm and beauty of a Rome side-street on a Sunday morning.

• Like 1

You are going to love galleries Borghese and I can hardly wait to see your pictures. (Of course you have already been there by now)

Somehow I missed the video of your evening and dinner. Really enjoyed seeing those familiar surroundings.

BTW when we were there the first time we stayed at suites Belcarria del Popolo, not too far from the Spanish Steps.

We took the subway a few times but we mostly just walked for miles and miles every day. Just so enjoyed immersing ourselves in that wonderful city. You transported me right back there. Rome is a truly magical place.

The Rome dinner video was post 618 on page 31.

Norris

A couple sharing a snack on the steps

15725117125_74f6690f59_b.jpg[/url]

A restaurant readied for lunch

15725116315_385efcb2e8_b.jpg

Even on a lightly-trafficked street this shop is looking it's best. Every shop I looked into was immaculate looking-well lit, clean and always colorful.

15539683018_c3af178cbe_b.jpg

15540264440_8e2593b534_b.jpg

After a 25 minute easy stroll we come to the river and Castel Sant' Angelo comes into view...

15723195921_7e524c02de_b.jpg

The castle is also known as Hadrian's Mausoleum. Built from 129 to 139 AD.

Hadrian died in 138 and his ashes were brought here upon completion. Now it's a museum and you can't have enough of those in Rome!

It was much busier than I had imagined. Carol saw some people way up on the top ramparts and wanted to go up there until I reminded her that (a) my helicopter was at the menders and (b) what goes up the stairs has to come down again. It has a great view of Rome from up there and will have to keep until another time when leg-transplants have been perfected.

We were happy to avoid a crowd.

15105177144_aae48d8b94_b.jpg

This last shot was the view from the shady tree-lined park right next door where there were benches to rest after our walk.

They were selling boat tours on the Tiber by Sant'Angelo bridge but we had no time. The River looks little used or exploited. If it were Berlin there would be dozens of boats taking tours. It's narrower than the Berlin rivers though (which has two rivers)

The Colosseum used to dump it's sewage and exotic animal/gladiator parts into the Tiber so maybe just as well stay off the river. Next time we will try the tour boat and see how far it goes into the city.

15701404576_edd90f75be_b.jpg[/url]

From Sant' Angelo you'll see this-St Peter's Basilica and the Pope is addressing a large crowd. Franco had offered to get us tickets for the seats but the word "crowd" doesn't appeal to us, nor are we religious.

15105738943_11a00038a9_b.jpg

15723198281_8000d96e4f_b.jpg

15105744983_1c9f19b9bb_b.jpg

15726678532_f05f0c2522_b.jpg

Somehow we resisted the urge to buy ice cream-possibly suffering from sunstroke or dementia. It will never happen again. If you see an ice cream van in Italy there is to be NO DEBATE.

15540273280_e7f9e61426_b.jpg

We decided, after a nice cooling bench-sit to walk back to the hotel the LONG way which is to say, along the riverbank and then cut over at Campo di Fiori. It was the way trodden by the least amount of people which is why it got my vote.

The river had a cooling breeze coming off it too which was nice.

• Like 1

LOL Lori !

All operas have to have a story- they are stage plays but sung not spoken.

Opera has been around since 1600, started in Italy. They are staged on a scale that play theaters can't achieve. It's better to see one than just hearing it, although once you like a certain opera you can listen to it in the car or at home and imagine what is going on. People are always dying (usually stabbed, shot or strangled or burned alive) but they get a chance to sing one last song.

The Met Opera House in New York does HD broadcasts to select movie theaters that have the satellite equipment as the shows are live. Those are popular.

The Met Theater in Manhattan holds 4,000 people and in some operas there can be as many as 280 people on stage during a scene. Animals such as horses and dogs appear on stage in some shows. It's larger than life and there is a 100 + orchestra banging away. The singers sing without microphones.

People sometimes ask me what is the best opera to start with and the answer is always the same- get a DVD of La Boheme (Puccini) with either Jose Carreras or Luciano Pavarotti. Put it on your TV, get some popcorn and a box of Kleenex.

The movies have subtitles in English (sung in Italian). You'll either love it or hate it. A good city library will have some Opera DVDs to borrow. Youtube has 1,000 s of opera clips.

If you like the first opera you see then there is a treasure chest opening up before you. If you don't well at least you gave it a shot. You have to like singing first of course!

Norris

Norris, I don't pretend to know much about opera, HOWEVER, 40 years ago when I was staioned with the Army in Vicenza, Italy, I saw Aida in the Verona coliseum (Verona's smaller verson of Rome's). I can't say enough how AWESOME that experience was. I know you and Carol may have future plans to return to Italy, and if there is any way you can fit in a performance in Verona, I don't think you will be disappointed. While you're at it - check out Vicenza (diamond capital!) It is home to one of the oldest indoor theaters in the world the "Teatro Olimpico". The permanent stage setting was built for a performance of Oedipus Rex in the 1500's. The theater itself was Andrea Palladio's final design. Sorry to butt in - but I see how you enjoy music and Italy - just thought of my experiences there when I was way to young to fully appreciate what I was seeing! It may, however, require a trip back to Venice! Only about 60km's away!

Norris, I don't pretend to know much about opera, HOWEVER, 40 years ago when I was staioned with the Army in Vicenza, Italy, I saw Aida in the Verona coliseum (Verona's smaller verson of Rome's). I can't say enough how AWESOME that experience was. I know you and Carol may have future plans to return to Italy, and if there is any way you can fit in a performance in Verona, I don't think you will be disappointed. While you're at it - check out Vicenza (diamond capital!) It is home to one of the oldest indoor theaters in the world the "Teatro Olimpico". The permanent stage setting was built for a performance of Oedipus Rex in the 1500's. The theater itself was Andrea Palladio's final design. Sorry to butt in - but I see how you enjoy music and Italy - just thought of my experiences there when I was way to young to fully appreciate what I was seeing! It may, however, require a trip back to Venice! Only about 60km's away!

Thanks but no need to apologize for "butting in" as you are welcome 24/7.

Yes we are familiar with Arena di Verona and the spectacular open air operas

they perform there- it is on our radar as is Italy's most famous house- la Scala, Milan. Some Italian theaters are in jeopardy or have just closed their doors.

The Italian economy is struggling and opera is very expensive to produce.

The music, the history, the language, the light, the hospitality and the food are all calling us back to Italy.

Norris

• Like 1

We were now back in the narrow streets lined with parked cars not going anywhere today. Quiet and less traveled streets which would lead us to Campo di Fiori. We were heading there as it led into Campo di Farnese which is where the Palazzo Farnese is. PF is where act II of Tosca is set (torture/stabbing etc)

This has to pass as a sidewalk on some narrow cobbled streets...

15726685052_7c912769ab_b.jpg[/url]

Restrooms and cold drinks were needed by the time we reached Campo di Fiori.

I asked at a couple of places if they just served drinks-no but that place over there does-so we went over there.

I noticed they had a German beer so even though I was in Rome I ordered a cold Warsteiner and Carol had her usual Aqua Frisante (sparkling water).

15725134835_37e18e7fc9_b.jpg

The square was very busy as the street market was in full swing (flowers, vegetables) and so after a drink and bathroom break we moved on to somewhere quieter. Campo di Farnese.

15726686442_1cecf9f04f_b.jpg

15105751683_40754fce46_b.jpg

Alas Palazzo Farnese isn't open to the public as it is now the French Embassy and is surrounded by a very high brick wall. Ho-hum.

We were by now still a long walk from the hotel so we decided to find a taxi and take the weight off our legs.

Soon the taxi dropped us off at the rank by the Pantheon.

15725103005_b42c8b375c_b.jpg[/url]

We had an hour to kill before we would have to set off for the Borghese Gallery.

We thought about a quick dip into the Pantheon but there were barriers up as a service was taking place. Later with that.

We went up to our room to recharge our batteries (including camera).

15701392206_df566c3764_b.jpg

15725111255_8d9c5ef7fc_b.jpg

I loved the views over the rooftops from our terrace

15539927797_d6b9f22ce4_b.jpg

Next up Borghese Gallery

We took a taxi from the Pantheon rank. Cost was 14E and the journey took us to new parts of Rome to a hilly area that was built in the 17th Century. Wide winding streets with beautiful houses and gardens and the location of several Embassies.

There would be no walking back home.

The gallery is set in a large white house built for Cardinal Scipione Borghese who was an avid art collector around 1610 A.D. It is graced by a formal English garden.

We had bought our tickets on line and they are timed tickets- i.e you can't come in and wander around for the rest of the day. They let a certain number of people in for two hours at a time as it's so popular among art lovers. The two hours includes the time it actually takes to get into the galleries.

I had to check my camera bag at the coat check and my camcorder had to remain with it. It was OK to take my camera (phew!) but no use of flash permitted.

Fair enough.

We took our place at the end of a long line waiting for the 2.30 visitors to be admitted.

We waited in this corridor. Photo taken after the tour.

15105268104_81d9def521_b.jpg[/url]

There's no way I can identify all that I saw in the 20 galleries we visited. Too many paintings and sculptures-not enough time and I had nothing to take notes on. They appear in the order I saw them. Some of the art is on the ceiling of course as you couldn't have a plain ceiling back in the day.

15540014287_15941315b8_b.jpg

15539299609_cd6f959967_b.jpg

15723275841_53a04e865c_b.jpg

15105244884_5daec3ef77_b.jpg

Those are great photos. I am loving this remembrance of my visit there in 2012.

Thanks again.

You are most welcome. Stunning images-the 3D aspect is astonishing. Such skill.

We (and I don't mean me) just don't decorate buildings the way they used to.

Not cost-effective or practical I know.

2012?- I am sure you plan to go back at some time in the future. There are a lot of great cities in the World but Rome needs a second-look.

Norris, more to come