Hotels near Tampa port

LadyVolFan

We are sailing out of Tampa in January. We have never sailed from this port so I am a bit anxious. Could someone please recommend a moderatley priced hotel near the port area? We are driving down the day before we sail out. We would like to stay in a place close to restaurants and shopping. Thanks in advance :D

moderate price and close are going to be working against each other in this port as the piers are downtown

the places close that I know are the Marriott and the Emb' Suites . . . the cruise terminal is close to the convention center so you know what that means for hotel costs ...

I remember someone posting about a lower cost place close ... but my Google search does not pop one up

'value' rooms might be found around the airport, and your drive on sail day is only 10 - 15 minutes . . .

We are sailing out of Tampa in January. We have never sailed from this port so I am a bit anxious. Could someone please recommend a moderatley priced hotel near the port area? We are driving down the day before we sail out. We would like to stay in a place close to restaurants and shopping. Thanks in advance :D

I booked Hampton Inn Tampa/Rocky Point. It's only about 7 miles from the port, has shuttle service and allows you to park your car there for duration of the cruise.

Bev

I guess there are many choices especially if you are driving and you will have a car to go where you need to ( store, restaurant ).

I have a reservation at the La Quinta by the airport, the price was reasonable, the reviews seem to be ok ( and it was recommended by a local poster), next door is Ihop, across the street is the Internationa Mall with lots of restaurants and many stores.

They offer shuttle to the port ( I think at 10 dol pp) or the taxis run about 25 dol per taxi.

If you look at their web site, they offer a free parking which might be a benefit for you.

They also offer a free breakfast.

Just in case if you are: military, senior, AAA, AARP - they offer a discount.

Besides the Hampton Inn mentioned above, there are several hotels in the Rocky Point area that offer cruise packages including parking and shuttles - we like the Chase Suites.

http://www.stay123.com and http://www.parksleepfly.com are two sources for finding hotels offering cruise parking deals.

I booked La Quinta Tampa Bay Airport for one night pre-cruise in Nov. They offer free shuttle from the airport to the hotel.

I was quoted $10pp for a shuttle to the cruise port the next morning. I will be traveling solo, so the $10 shuttle service is much cheaper than a taxi.

Their military rate also applies to serving and retired Canadian military (ID required). That rate is slightly better than AAA/CAA.

• 2 weeks later...

The Howard Johnson Plaza Downtown Tampa is the only budget-class hotel that I can think of in that area. It is right in with the others just minus some of the bells and whistles. For a quick pre-cruise stay, it would be fine.

Here is their link: http://www.howardjohnsonplazatampa.com/

Also, here is a site that you can compare rates for other downtown Tampa hotels. The Residence Inn is very nice and may offer decent rates.

http://www.downtowntampahotels.com

FYI - stay away from the Fairgrounds area hotels. It's just my personal opinion, but the area is kind of run-down and it just gives me the creeps.

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr