Otway sound tour... morning or afternoon best?

vmom

We are taking the Princess excursion to Otway sound to see the penguins there.

This is tender port.

There are three times offered: 7:00, 7:30 or 1:30

Any recommendations on tour time?

My initial thoughts were that since there are two tours in the morning it will be more crowded and if we take the later excursion, hopefully there will be fewer people at the Otway area viewing the penguins. Thoughts on this?

I thought more people likely go in the morning since they can then explore the town in the afternoon. Perhaps that is the reason there are more excursions offered in the morning?

On the other hand, if we did the afternoon excursion, we would have to tender into town on our own to explore the town, then take the tender back onto the ship to join the ship excursion at 1:30. That would mean doing the tender twice....once in the morning to explore the town, then again in the afternoon to join the excursion.

Would the weather be much different in the afternoon vs morning?

I would really appreciate any input or suggestions.

Thanks

I would suggest one of the morning tours. To me, I would feel rushed during an afternoon tour as you need to be back to the ship in time. It is a long bus ride and some of the roads are not very good. As you said, you can always spend time in town in the afternoon.

There were several busses there at the same time when I was there and it didn't seem too crowded. The groups tend to spread out after a few minutes.

This was one of my highlights during my world cruise this year. I had to keep reminding myself to stop taking pictures and just enjoy the views.

Have a great time.

Don

On excursions that involve tendering, on some ships the ship sponsored excursions meet on the ship and tender off together.

I would just advise the tour boss that I will hook up with them on shore. Makes no sense to return to the ship :eek:

We are taking the Princess excursion to Otway sound to see the penguins there.

This is tender port.

There are three times offered: 7:00, 7:30 or 1:30

Any recommendations on tour time?

My initial thoughts were that since there are two tours in the morning it will be more crowded and if we take the later excursion, hopefully there will be fewer people at the Otway area viewing the penguins. Thoughts on this?

I thought more people likely go in the morning since they can then explore the town in the afternoon. Perhaps that is the reason there are more excursions offered in the morning?

On the other hand, if we did the afternoon excursion, we would have to tender into town on our own to explore the town, then take the tender back onto the ship to join the ship excursion at 1:30. That would mean doing the tender twice....once in the morning to explore the town, then again in the afternoon to join the excursion.

Would the weather be much different in the afternoon vs morning?

I would really appreciate any input or suggestions.

Thanks

I've done this both ways. In the end it will depend how many ships are in port.

It will be colder in the morning but I would still do the morning tour. That way you can return to the ship, have lunch and go into the town which will give you more time to maximize your day since most places in town will not be open at say 7:30 AM.

Keith