Cruising in 2 weeks -- safe? With the...

Legion103

I just get concerned with all the stuff going on in today's world.

If the Ebola stuff has gotten to you, then you need to know more about that disease. It is a virus that an infected person in the active phase of the illness has to transfer fluids into, and that is into, your body. If they do not vomit, bleed, or get feces into your mouth, or an open wound, they cannot infect you.

If you are worried about Norovirus, the last outbreak on any cruise ship was in April. Norovirus is common virus and is more frequently transferred in ones normal land based life.

If you are concerned by this summer's warning of chikungunya, it is not any more of an issue than EEE, or West Nile back home, imnho. Appropriate precaution with Deet and other prophylactic precautions will protect you. Another mosquito vectored virus in the tropical area of central America and the Caribbean is dengue fever. It is as prevalent, or even more so, and it is not being flagged currently by the CDC. Neither of these are likely to affect cruiser that avoid extended stays while unprotected.

I have not seen any reports that any cruiser has been infected by them while on their cruise. I may be wrong, but I would like to read any such report.

Edited by untailored bostonian

With the latest concerns about all these diseases out there...is it safe to cruise on the Breakaway in 2 weeks to FLORIDA AND BAHAMAS?

ALL cruise ships are probably way more sanitary than your kitchen.

They have very strict rules that they must follow and they have inspections very frequently.

When was the last time you had an inspection by the Board of Health?

They have them often.

We have been on 20 + cruises and we do use their hand sanitizer, but we are not fanatics about it.

We’ve never been sick on a cruise.

Unless you clean your bedroom daily, your cabin is cleaner than home.

If you are still nervous, you can ask your room steward to use a sanitizer daily.

I would leave a nice tip for this request.

My advise is to just be sensible & wash your hands often.

Judy

• 2 weeks later...

You are most certainly safer on an NCL cruise ship than on your daily commute to work. If you would like to stop worrying, I suggest you stop watching Fox News, who is trying to profit from making you scared.

Of all the things to worry about anymore.... here is my tidbit:

I'd love to know where you sleep, if there is a danger of being hit by a stray bullet:eek:

Not me, I live in a nice little town by some mountains more likely to shoot myself in a hunting accident then a stray bullet. LOL

Referring to news in places like Chicago.

Edited by darkprayer

With the latest concerns about all these diseases out there...is it safe to cruise on the Breakaway in 2 weeks to FLORIDA AND BAHAMAS?

You got a better chance of getting hit by a MTA bus on the way to the NY port than getting Ebola. Just remember to look both ways on a one-way or opposite of the street (there's always one person driving the wrong way in NYC at any given time, that could also mean excitement and maybe a police chase, but meh...)

Also, if you are worried about Lola ( as we call it here) ,NCL is not accepting passengers who have traveled to affected regions within 21 days. If the passengers are using passports for the cruise and not hiding them with their stamps showing said travel at home in a lead vault, then anyone that has travelled there AND is not using just a photo ID with a BC for ID won't be of worry ..unless there are healthcare workers from Dallas, NIH, Emory....

Wash your hands, stay away from runny noses and coughing people and enjoy your cruise!!

Practice safe everything.

Wash your hands...use your elbows to open doors.

Don't eat food that has touched table- all the same rules as when we didn't have Lola in the news.

You are most certainly safer on an NCL cruise ship than on your daily commute to work. If you would like to stop worrying, I suggest you stop watching Fox News, who is trying to profit from making you scared.

Because as we all know, CNN, ABC, NBC and CBS are commercial-free and have not mentioned Ebola once. Ever. Despite their continuous coverage and top-story billing on all their websites . Just Fox operates for profit.

All the others are public service broadcast outlets.

Insert multiple eye rolls HERE.

Because as we all know, CNN, ABC, NBC and CBS are commercial-free and have not mentioned Ebola once. Ever. Despite their continuous coverage and top-story billing on all their websites . Just Fox operates for profit.

All the others are public service broadcast outlets.

Insert multiple eye rolls HERE.

Clear this up for me...please....CNN, ABC, NBC and CBS are Commercial free?

What are those things I watch which are pitching cars, meds, diapers, etc.

during all TV shows on these channels?

(I don’t watch CNN, so can’t comment).

Just curious.

Judy

NO it is NOT safe.

It is not safe to drive-accidents
It is not safe to go to work-crazy shooting workers
It is not safe to go to the mall-crazy shooting nutsos
it is not safe to grocery shop-bacteria & bugs on items
it is not safe to be around family-who knows where they have been/what they have done/if they are psychotic

Lock your bedroom door. Crawl into bed. Pull the covers over your head. Stay their until you DIE of dehydration and/or malnutrition.