Passport expiry date

....I would just cop the fee and renew the passport. Only saving a couple of months validity if you don't renew but will you be able to relax the whole trip hoping all will be ok? A 10 year passport works out at $24.40 a year per person so saving 6 months is a saving of $12.20.

Agree 100%. Unless you are never going to have use for the passport again, I don't understand taking a risk for money you would have to spend anyway.

Make sure you use the official site or it may cost you more than the $14.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/:D

Good advice. My mate paid something like US$120 thru a 3rd party - the ESTA was good, but it was money he didn't need to spend.

Also, whilst the website will say you don't need to print a copy of the ESTA, my advice would be to do so & carry it with you. Things go wrong & DW's ESTA did not show up on US Immigration computer & we had a delay entering US - we looked like missing our train at one point. Strange thing was both DW and mine were done at same time in a single transaction & mine was fine :confused:

Good advice. My mate paid something like US$120 thru a 3rd party - the ESTA was good, but it was money he didn't need to spend.

Also, whilst the website will say you don't need to print a copy of the ESTA, my advice would be to do so & carry it with you. Things go wrong & DW's ESTA did not show up on US Immigration computer & we had a delay entering US - we looked like missing our train at one point. Strange thing was both DW and mine were done at same time in a single transaction & mine was fine :confused:

I would give the same advice for visa's or entry permits or any government type documentation for any country even Australia. Always go through the official channels, it is cheaper, easier and safer. Always bring copies of the docs and the receipts as well just in case.:D

Renew your passports before you leave. My2 cents' worth.... I had a valid passport (6 years) and ESTA (9 months) on my last trip to Canada and US in 2012. Flew Sydney to Vancouver and was picked up at the airport by US friend from Seattle. At the border crossing, zealous customs official wasn't happy with our paperwork, held us up for an hour and a half, then said we had to pay another $6 'fee' before we were allowed into the US. It was an intimidating experience to say the least.

Renew your passports before you leave. My2 cents' worth.... I had a valid passport (6 years) and ESTA (9 months) on my last trip to Canada and US in 2012. Flew Sydney to Vancouver and was picked up at the airport by US friend from Seattle. At the border crossing, zealous customs official wasn't happy with our paperwork, held us up for an hour and a half, then said we had to pay another $6 'fee' before we were allowed into the US. It was an intimidating experience to say the least.

Very strange and a bit scary.:(

Came into force 12 January 2009, initially free. They started charging in September 2010.

We travelled to the US in July 2009 and needed it then, cannot remember if it was free or not but it was easy to do.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

We travelled to the US in July 2009 and needed it then, cannot remember if it was free or not but it was easy to do.:D

The only reason I remember it is because I got mine in August 2010 to beat the new charge. Didn't travel until the following June though. It was valid for 2 years from first entry into the U.S.

All cool as far as Jetstar is concerned for anyone using them.They don't have concrete rules apparently. Their policy basically makes it the responsibility of the passenger to ensure passports meet the validity requirements (in this case covering up to the extent of the visit for Aussies going to the US under the 6 month club rule). The only thing they stipulate is that passengers must have received visa waiver authorisation under ESTA or "they may not be able to carry you"?. This is a little obscure as you are not required to carry written verification of this authorization to enter the US. It is electronically recorded in their customs/immigration system. I will carry a copy of my authorization anyways, but there is definitely no mention of passport validity denying a passenger a flight. Hope that helps for Jetstar users even if it is a little off topic on a cruise forum...

Re ESTA paper copy- although your ESTA is logged on the USA Immigration data base so no need for copy on arrival it is likely you will be asked for a copy by the airline before they will even check you in.

With my last 2 trips Qantas and United both asked to see a copy at check in, Qantas from Melb United from Syd so you are wise in printing out copies:)

The airline staff have no passport Visa to sight at check in so they usually need to sight your ESTA. If a carrier brings an alien to USA even if its only in transit they must have a visa or ESTA if not they are sent packing "The Exact Same Way They came" and even if transits have a visa for a much closer country like Canada they have to go back from where they first boarded, this is done without a single explanation or argument either way and at the airlines cost;)

Some travellers to USA have no idea about ESTA and just as many cant even get one as they are very strict with the questions lol, they purchase a return flight before their ESTA and by the time they find out about ESTA its usually too late! you can get a Visa if you are denied ESTA but many leave it too late to apply for a Visa. Many people every week never get past airport check in.

Goodness, your name isn't Ronnie is it?:D

Lol:D same accent :D

This would not happen nowadays with the new chipped passports but years ago a name was a name and a red flag to a bull as far as the airport Feds were concerned!

The last instance July 1996 a suited official threw my passport at me because he was so disappointed. I wrote an official complaint but never got any return. True story! It was really bad!

Now I dont even bother renewing my British passport.

Lol:D same accent :D

This would not happen nowadays with the new chipped passports but years ago a name was a name and a red flag to a bull as far as the airport Feds were concerned!

The last instance July 1996 a suited official threw my passport at me because he was so disappointed. I wrote an official complaint but never got any return. True story! It was really bad!

Now I dont even bother renewing my British passport.

Probably a wise choice considering, I would think that certain names would still have alerts in place.:D