Calling all you light packers...

dkc1973

How did you get through security with wine?....or were you able to buy it in the terminal after?

We drove to the port and actually boarded the ship with 12 bottles of wine - we had 4 left when we reached Barcelona - we did acquire one bottle Portugal. By the time we flew home - all wine was gone!

I'm going on my fourth cruise and it'll be my

I read about people taking everything in a 24" bag and I look at my 24" bag--

How do you (they) do it?! Can anyone share their one suitcase packing list for a seven day?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I honestly think it's all about the way you pack. Roll..do not fold...things very tightly, and tuck things inside of OTHER things. Stick to a color THEME with your clothing, and pack separates and shoes that will go together. Having one outfit for both travel days (you can hand wash it during your cruise) is a help. Travel size everything. You need to anyway if you're flying to your port.

I literally write down Day 1, 2, 3, etc. outfits so I don't take an extra anything.

And remember that you are also allowed a carry-on that stashes under your airplane seat. I put all of my make-up, flat iron, charging cords, etc., in that bag. Also, ALL LIQUIDS go in that bag so the TSA people have no reason to unzip my 24" bag that I have taken such care to pack. Pack everything, then stuff your sox, undies, etc., into those nook and crannie spaces in corners and sides.

Hope this helped. I detest checking luggage. And it could sure put a damper on a cruise if it didn't make it onto the ship with you. Being able to just roll onto the ship is the only way to go.

Here's another thought... Decide which size suitcase you will be comfortable handling, then put whatever you absolutely must have into that case. Then , if there is room left, put any other items you feel are necessary in.

Mines is a Rockland duffel bag with wheels. I put 14 dresses, 2 heavy cardigan sweaters, 3 pairs of shoes, 2 bathing suits, about 18 pairs of undies and 2 bras. Mind you, I'm size 16 / XL / 1X in women's clothes with size 10 footwear. And I still have room in that bag!![emoji3]

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Edited by maywell

I would add to look up packing tips on You Tube. There are lots of great videos on efficient, lightweight packing.

I usually use a combination of rolling and folding and some down right scrunching if it is a crinkle type dress or top, (got to love those!) I even pack my sun hat in my carryon by rolling the bottom layer of clothes to fill in the gaps on either side of the extendable handle mechanism that makes the bottom lumpy; and then roll, fold and pack other clothing leaving a "hole" the size of the crown of the hat. Stuff the crown of your hat with crushable clothing (preferably a top, but underwear works too) and then place the hat upside down in the "hole". The brim should be flat with the top layer of clothing.

I usually stash socks and underwear in the outside pockets as long as it doesn't bulge out the suitcase so much that it is no longer compliant with the size regulations. A bit of shifting towards the sides of the outer pockets usually solves the over stuffed bag. As well, don't unzip the suitcase extension as it will most likely make your suitcase noncompliant. If you over indulge with souvenir shopping, then this leaves you with a bit more packing room for the trip home and it doesn't matter as much if you have to check it for home bound portion. If your bag doesn't make home when you do, it isn't as much of a problem.

I also take a pashmina type shawl for evenings in the dining room, or out on the windy deck. They pack flat and can be worn so many ways that they earn their keep.

If you decide to take along the extension cord, there is nothing to say that it has to remain coiled up. It will take up less room if you stretch it out along the perimeter of the suitcase. It works for belts too.

For meds / first aid kit, I try to buy only blister packs which I then take out of the packaging, cut out the dosage info and then keep them together with an elastic band. All the meds goes into a ziploc bag along with a couple of band aids and some moleskin for blisters on sore feet.

We travel for at least a week without having to launder with just carry on, but your situation may be different with the cpap equipment.

Do a trial run as it really is worth it.

Signed,

A Reformed Overpacker

I can go just about anywhere, for any length of time, with just a soft-side carry-on and a packpack.

I don't take any electronics so I don't need power cord, chargers, etc. I take 3 pairs of shoes - one pair of black pumps with 2.5 heels, sneakers and flip-flops, one Speedo one-piece swimsuit that dries fast and just enough toiletries for my trip. I make my natural fiber clothes do double duty and do self-laundry if available. I don't roll and don't use any packing devices and my clothes have few wrinkles because they are not being compressed by too much stuff.

For me, part of the joy of traveling is doing without so much of what so many consider the must-have items of life.

Edited by Bookish Angel