Calling all you light packers...

dkc1973

I'm going on my fourth cruise and it'll be my first seven day cruise. We head to NOLA on November 2nd and I'm beginning to gather up things. I always overpack and now having two extra days I'm fighting the urge to pack even more.

I read about people taking everything in a 24" bag and I look at my 24" bag-- Then my pile of chargers, makeup, shoes (only three pair), first aid items, meds, not even thinking of clothes.

How do you (they) do it?! Can anyone share their one suitcase packing list for a seven day?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

What is your itinerary? Which ship/cruise line are you sailing on?

Depending on your activities during your cruise, you may be able to wear some things more than once. Maybe you can mix and match some of your clothing. My wife often does this. For example, three pairs of slacks with 2 or three tops, with different accessories to give them a different look.

I'm sure others will soon chime in with ideas and suggestions. Happy cruising.

2 pairs of comfortable shoes or sandals, one of which can be worn to dinner. 2 bottoms, one if which is black for formal dinners. Tops that go with either bottom. Change for dinner, wear the same next day, change for next dinner.

Do you really need all makeup sitting by the pool? See what you can leave at home. I know a woman who brought 2 electric devices for her hair, and a wig in case of a windy day. This is ridiculous.

Medicine I take seriously. If I am out of prescription meds, where will I get a refill? For a 7-day cruise I'd pack a 10-12 days supply, depending on how many days pre- or post-cruise. I have those pill boxes with compartments, taped paper to mark them, which is which (like I don't know how they look :) ) so they don't take up much space.

My husband and I bring 1 24" suitcase for both, one carry-on, and my purse. I start packing clothes into 2-gallon zipper bags (a friend had something leaked through into her suitcase, so for us zipper bags only) and tuck in between shoes, cosmetics. Meds, glasses, camera - only in carry-on. My camera works on batteries, no recharging, less wires to carry.

We are going to Belize, Roatan and Cozumel. I'm planning to do laundry so I think I'll be ok on clothes. It's the idea of fitting clothes, shoes, sunblock, makeup, power strip, chargers for electronics, first aid kit, medications, camera, items for excursions and whoever else in one bag.

I'm sure my packing list has things others wouldn't take (clothespins) but I have found we do use them so my list has worked pretty well. I'm just wondering where others trim it back and still manage to make it ok.

Plan on items that you can wear more than once. For instance, I usually take just two pairs of pants and two pairs of shorts. I take enough underwear and socks for the whole trip. If I wear a polo shirt to dinner one night, I can wear it later on the cruise during the day. The T-shirts I wear to the pool can be worn more than once.

My thoughts, worth about what you paid for them:

* I carry one charger for my electronics, which all happen to have a microUSB port. Perhaps you can do the same?

* There's probably no need to carry a laptop AND a tablet AND a phone AND an MP3 player AND an e-reader AND a camera. I'm not saying you do this, but do take a look at what you're really going to use.

* I'm a guy, so I don't use makeup. I can't help you there, sorry. :(

* I don't pack any shoes. I'm wearing a pair, and that's the only pair I wear all week. You may not be able to get away with that, but see if you can get it down to two (pack one, and wear the bulkier one).

* If there are medicines you need to survive, you have to take them. No help there.

* I don't take a first aid kit. I try not to do things that would tend to require one. This may or may not work for you.

* You're probably not going to be able to fit 7 complete outfits in a 24-inch bag. So you're going to have to either (a) prepare to wear some things at least twice, (b) go to the self-serve laundry - if they have one, and/or © use the ship's laundry. The latter two options will cost you some.

Consolidate 'first aid'. I buy very small zip bags (usually used for daily pills). I label them and put enough pills to get by (you don't need the whole bottle). Imodium, gas pills, aspirin, etc can be downsized very easily.

Electronics and chargers - see which chargers can be used for multiple items. Many chargers are interchangeable so you do not need one for each item. I bought a 5 plug usb charger that senses the correct amps for the device. You might be able to get down to 2 or 3 usb chargers for your stuff.

Makeup - find travel versions or use travel containers. You do not need the full size of all your stuff. If you were flying this would be what you would do for the flight. If you think you need more - fill 2 3oz bottles. I use a lot of makeup - most stuff is fairly small. Its the things like shampoo, sunscreen etc that comes in large packages.

It may be helpful if we can actually see your packing list.

My chargers, make-up, first aid stuff, and meds can fit in a small zip lock bag.

I have 1 charger that fits my phone and tablet. I sometimes bring a 3 prong outlet. Have never had a reason for a power strip.

Make-up I don't wear a lot, especially in hot climates. I have 1 lipstick, 1 lip gloss, 1 eyeliner, 1 eyeshadow, travel sized lotion, and 1 mascara.

Shoes? I wear running shoes, pack a pair of dressy black sandals and a pair of flip flops. Together these 2 pairs take up about the space of a book.

First aid? I have a roll of athletic tape that I use in case of blisters, as well as Neosporin. Never had a need for anything else. These 2 items can fit in a sandwich bag.

Meds? I bring only the amount I'll need plus 2 extra pills. It all stays in one of those plastic weekly organizers. I also have a small container (about the size of my fist) where I keep a few basics: Tylenol, Advil, Tums, Dramamine, and Allegra. 5-10 of each type. Sometimes bring travel sized Aloe Vera. Use mosquito bracelets in certain regions too.

Much of this stuff I actually put in my purse or carry-on.

In my bag for a 7 day(with laundry) I pack:

1 pair of black pants, 1 black skirt, 2 pairs of shorts, 2 short sundresses, 2 long sundresses,1 lightweight black sweater/ cardigan, 3 pairs of socks, 5 pairs undies, 1 T shirt, 2 tank tops, 2 swimsuits, if there is a formal night: LBD.

Also 3 laundry detergent pods, a toiletry bag with mini sized bottles the size of a book(has lotion, hair product, tooth care, nail file, razor, etc...), magnets, ziplock sized bag with jewelry ( 2 of each: bracelets, rings, earrings, necklaces), sunblock, few gallon sized zip locks, that's about it.

I wear pants, another T shirt and a sweatshirt.

TONS of leftover space for shopping in ports :)

You may want to lay everything out and decide if you are really going to use/wear it, or if you need it in the size you are bringing. For example: you probably don't need your regular sized shampoo, put it in a smaller container.

Where do you pack flippers and face mast to snorkel? I would love to only have a carryon, I just can't figure our how people do it.

I can fit my mask and snorkel (separated) in my carryon sized bag (the only bag other than personal item)

I pack socks and/or underwear into the mask so its not really taking up much extra space. the snorkel easily packs along the side along with my sandals.

If I'm snorkeling from an excursion I use their flippers. If from the shore I just use my Teva sandals. I'm not diving, so can easily do without flippers which do take a lot of space!

I don't actually think a 24" suitcase is hard to pack in for a week at all. That's not carry-on size--I can pack in a 21" if I need to, but prefer not.

If I am using a 24", I will also have a smaller carry-on with roller wheels; it's about 15" I think. All valuables (camera, Kindle, jewelry,etc.), go in that. It has room for a laptop but we no longer bring one, prescription meds and things I want for the flight, plus whatever else will fit, goes in there. I also carry a small purse inside a larger beach-type bag.

I wear my largest shoes, a jacket and sweater so they don't have to be packed. I cut down on make-up, using travel sizes where I can. I do bring a small quart size ziplock with emergency type things; cold pills, tiny sewing kit, immodium, bandaids, etc. I have plenty of room for multiple outfits that mix and match and usually have three formal dresses as well. I bring a curling iron but not a hair dryer.

We usually cruise for 10-17 days. If a ship has self-serve laundry, I will use that. I often wash out clothes by hand, especially underwear and work-out clothes. A lot of my clothing packs small and doesn't wrinkle. Once in while I will use the laundry bag special. It definitely helps that I am on the smaller side; clothing and shoes aren't that large. My bag is always very full but weighs in at around 47 pounds.

I will admit that we get free baggage on our normal airline. So if on a longer cruise we often each check our 24" and once 21" with extra stuff--more shoes, snorkel gear, snacks, etc. But, we have done a 5 day cruise plus three days in Florida in carryons without doing laundry. I just cut back on shoes and 'extra what if' clothing.

We do a 21 inch for DW and a 20 inch for me plus one small backpack for iPad, books, paperwork. We pack for one week regardless of how long we are gone. Current trip is seven weeks.

The secret is deciding to limit yourself to a smaller bag, two pairs or shoes inclusive of the ones on your feet. And layered clothing. Each piece of clothing has to earn it's way in to the suitcase by being worn often. And we cut out most of the cumbersome electronics. Don't even bother taking our cell phones/chargers.

It is love/hate for DW. She hates it when packing but loves it when we are travelling. Taking and carrying less is very liberating.

Edited by iancal

Bring everything in the same color scheme and wear interchangeable. Mine is "black and..." so I wear black and a color for the whole trip. With Freestyle cruising and other more casual cruises, I've gotten it as far down as 3 sundresses (with pockets for the cruise card) 1 pair of flip flops, 1 swimsuit plus coverup, 1 sleep shirt, 1 skirt 2 tops and a sweater, underwear, I use makeup that comes in a small case about the size of a deck of cards from Sephora, medicine in a small medicine box. Maybe 1 additional pair of earrings. I would not bring much for first aid - maybe a couple of bandaids and aspirin. We buy stuff like sunscreen, toothpaste, deodorant, water, soda pop, carryon wine at a pharmacy on the way to the ship so none of that ever needs to fit in my suitcase as we use it on the ship then put it in the trash on the last morning. The chargers are interchangeable on my IPAD and IPHONE so I only need 1.

re the electronics: Most electronics now have USB-compatible charging cords. Check to see if you can "double-team" your charging by just taking one plug and using that one to charge your stuff. There are plugs out there that have 2 USB ports - check Brookstone or Best Buy or similar places. For the power strip: you don't have to take that big thing. There are travel-sized strips. I have one from Monster Cable. It's called the Outlets To Go. I have the 4-outlet one (from back in the day when I had to travel with a laptop and cables weren't USB). It is about 6x2x2 with a 6" cable and a flat prong plug. The cable is built to wrap on the strip and plug into one of the outlets for easy storage. I can slip that thing anywhere in luggage, briefcase…

Light packing is all about the person. It isn't about how much can I stuff into the smallest suitcase. For me, it is all about making choices on what I need to be happy and comfortable on my trips while making sure I can handle all of it by myself. I travel solo, so I need to be able to handle all that I bring by myself. I'm not adverse to adding 15 minutes to my evening bathroom routine to wash out some items and let them hang dry overnight. I'm not adverse to wearing things more than once on a trip. I'm not out to wow strangers with new fashion twice a day ;)

I am in favor of packing light but don't achieve it as well as others. My only caution on just taking a couple pair of pants is...it only takes a bit of a rocky ship and someone sitting next to you who does not have good control of their drink, and you're down to one pair of pants. I'm the mother of 8 children, I learned this early in life. Try washing out a pair of jeans in a sink and drying them...just saying.

I'm going on my fourth cruise and it'll be my first seven day cruise. We head to NOLA on November 2nd and I'm beginning to gather up things. I always overpack and now having two extra days I'm fighting the urge to pack even more.

I read about people taking everything in a 24" bag and I look at my 24" bag-- Then my pile of chargers, makeup, shoes (only three pair), first aid items, meds, not even thinking of clothes.

How do you (they) do it?! Can anyone share their one suitcase packing list for a seven day?

Gosh, I wouldn't even want to do it! :D :rolleyes: :D

LuLu

See my signature for packing lists.

Your first aid items should fit in a sandwich size Zip Lock. If you need more than that, buy in port or see the ships doctor. Have your pharmacy dispense the meds for that trip plus a few days extra into the smallest containers they will fit into. Don't carry containers suitable for 90 days for a one week trip.

I'm not sure why you need a pile of chargers. What electronics are you taking?

Dayenu- what kind of carryon do you use?

My husband carries a bag with 2 pockets for water, no brand name... I think it was from a land tour that sent us the bag. Enough room for a snack and sweaters.

Hopefully I've attached a copy of my packing list. I'm open to any feedback and I've noted a few things below.

I am taking makeup because we hope to take a nice formal night shot. The tape is a tiny roll of electrical type tape - smaller than duct tape but sturdier than scotch tape. I have gotten as much as I could in the small/trial size, like deodorant, lotion, etc.

I know my first aid is a bit heavy but I'm cruising with my father and he takes a strong blood thinner and I want to be able to patch him up if he gets a scrape in the room (which he did last time).

The ponchos are packed up tiny and sunblock and bug spray are a must since we are doing a tour of some ruins.

I may leave off either the power strip or extension cord, but my father has a CPAP machine so we'll need one or the other. Oh and the fans, we keep reading that the Dream has a lot of hot cabins so we got 2 small O2 cool fans. We are in our first inside and if there is one thing that could make my father really miserable... it's being hot. He keeps his house around 72 degrees and tends to get grouchy if it gets over 76.

1629456650_listpic.jpg.97f966edb6400bcc77ef6151307eefd8.jpg

Put liquid makeup/foundation in an old contact lens case. I fill one side with foundation, and the other side with cream/liquid blush. Another one holds vaseline and eye cream for taking off makeup.

Pack meds in mini ziplock baggies. My pharmacy printed an extra label to stick on the bag, so I know what's what with confidence. For OTC meds, cut the dosage label from the package for reference - or at least label "Advil 200mg Dosage 2 x 4-6 hours".

Consolidate electronics and chargers. Pack a curling iron OR a straightener, not both. Take Tiva sandals or aqua-socks instead of flippers... they'll be enough if you're just paddling around close to shore.

Consider bottles smaller than 3oz for shampoo/soap/conditioner. You may find a 1oz hotel-sized bottle enough conditioner for the week, and probably have sample packets/tiny bottles of lotion, etc.

I do sink-laundry, too. Cut an old washcloth into quarters, stack them in a ziploc baggie, and pour in a couple ounces of Woolite. It suds least, so rinses most easily. Drop one square into the sink as you swish around your delicates. No bottle to leak, no waste to take home. Just toss the rag bit when done.

And, review your lingerie... I have some bras with lots of structure that take up a ton of space, and others that aren't as padded that pack flat. The thinner ones are dry faster after sink-laundry.

Consider khakis instead of jeans, and layering two thin pieces instead of a bulky sweatshirt or sweater. Fewer shorts/pants, more tops, in my opinion.