Tables at Dinner for a Large Group on Uniworld

whatnot

We have sailed on Uniworld before, but only as a couple. But for our next cruise on the Antoinette in May, we have 10 friends joining us. Does anyone know if you can reserve a table prior to dinner hour, or do you just have to have someone get there early and grab one for the group. On other open seating cruises we have pre arranged seating through the Hotel Manager, etc. for a large group. We are booked as a group through our travel agent so would it help if she requested group seating for dinner? Any experiences with this issue would be appreciated!

There is normally no reserved seating on river cruises. There may not be a table large enough to seat all of you at one table. These are narrow boats, so the dining rooms are usually longer than they are wide with the breakfast-lunch buffet in the center. You may have to station some of your group at the door to the dining room while the others are at the port talk. Or take the luck of the draw for tablemates. Good luck. Pat

We were on river duchess in May there are two sets of cafe style set ups at rear of dining room set up is 4/2/4 this might suit your large group as earlier respondent posted a couple might have to commandeer these tables while the others attend port talk

Also if you have a good maitre de he/she might help

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I was on the Antoinette in July and I believe there were two tables that would accommodate 10. We made friends with a number of people on the pre cruise and never seemed to have a problem getting the large table since most preferred to be in a smaller group. Whoever got to the dining room first just grabbed the table. I never saw any tables actually reserved but then again we didn't ask. Is any in your group in one of the Suites. I think if so, you could ask one of the butlers to hold the table until the first in your party arrived and they would stand there and hold the table for you.

Although not on the Antoinette, we've seen big groups at longer tables on other Uniworld ships. The rectangular tables can be put together for one long table. If they're not already set like this, I'm sure a quick request can take care of it.

Hoyaheel has it correct. A group of 12 of us went to Napa and Sonoma this past summer for 9 days. We only scheduled two (2) group dinners for the entire period. After being together all day every day, several people rightfully insisted upon some breathing room. I wonder why the OP believes that ALL the members of the group wants to spend nearly every breathing minute with other members of that group, and not want to spread their wings some? Will other group members feel obliged to sit with you if you reserve the table every night? Will they insist upon Uniworld put them all together on every tour likewise? :rolleyes:

Part of the enjoyment of these cruises is in the new people and friends one meets.

We have traveled with this group of people several times before. We tend to do our own thing during the day. Some of them don't like to do large group tours but prefer to explore on their own. We don't plan on breakfast or lunch together. But we do like to meet for cocktails and dinner and discuss our day and what we are planning for the next one. So we do not spend every breathing moment to gather.

We have traveled with this group of people several times before. We tend to do our own thing during the day. Some of them don't like to do large group tours but prefer to explore on their own. We don't plan on breakfast or lunch together. But we do like to meet for cocktails and dinner and discuss our day and what we are planning for the next one. So we do not spend every breathing moment to gather.

I've taken many river cruises with Vantage and the captain's table at the very rear of the dining room seats at least 12 possibly more in cafeteria style. Usually it's filled with people who are separated from their group or for came late and were unable to find seats at the 4,6,8 tops. the only time it's used is for the Captain's dinner and I can't imagine ANY cruise line refusing to set aside a table for a large group traveling together, especially if one of them has the premium suite. First person I would ask is the butler.....if he can't make the arrangements, he will know who can. I will be flat out floored if they won't accommodate you.

(and here I'm trying to figure out how to tactfully tell the other 2 couple we'll be traveling with in December that we might want to eat with other people sometimes:p;))

You would be amazed at how little groups of people who are travelling together simply cannot go anywhere unless they are all together. Recently one lady had the excursion bus stop so that she could get off and get on the one that her friends were on.

(and here I'm trying to figure out how to tactfully tell the other 2 couple we'll be traveling with in December that we might want to eat with other people sometimes:p;))

here's a suggestion: go late for dinner and hang to the back of the line, hopefully they won't save two seats for you! :D (This is why I leave my friends and family home and just travel with DH and meet new friends on the boat!)

here's a suggestion: go late for dinner and hang to the back of the line, hopefully they won't save two seats for you! :D (This is why I leave my friends and family home and just travel with DH and meet new friends on the boat!)

It's our parents, so, I actually have to tell them if I don't want to eat with them:p We've already said we aren't spending all day every day with them, so the conversation has started.

And I actually prefer a big table because I'm anti-social and don't like talking to people much - at a big table, I can enjoy my meal and my husband can socialize as much as he wants - with lots of people talking, no one notices if I'm participating or not;)

It's our parents, so, I actually have to tell them if I don't want to eat with them:p We've already said we aren't spending all day every day with them, so the conversation has started.

And I actually prefer a big table because I'm anti-social and don't like talking to people much - at a big table, I can enjoy my meal and my husband can socialize as much as he wants - with lots of people talking, no one notices if I'm participating or not;)

Oh my! I'm not getting into this conversation :D

How can you be a Hoya and anti-social??

How can you be a Hoya and anti-social??

Well, I wasn't so bad when I was 20. Now slightly older (let's just say my 20th GU reunion was last summer;)) I just don't enjoy talking to strangers very much. I can do it - and I will - but it's a stressor for me and I need down time to re-energize (which, on the river cruise, will likely be roaming around the Christmas markets on my own:p)

[and yes, my best friends from high school and college have a very hard time seeing me as an introvert!]

Sorry to get off topic :eek: As our cruise approaches, I find myself worrying about travel with our parents and trying to simulate scenarios to prep myself with possible responses. My husband and I travel very well together but our experiences traveling with others hasn't been fantastic....

The translation for Hoya is rock, so you can sit quietly and absorb your surroundings. Traveling with "older folk" can be a bit challenging. We tend to be over-independent--extremely so. We just celebrated our 50th reunion at Villanova and realized that we are all very active people with moderation. We are traveling with classmates in Dec. There will be 6 of us--two we have cruised with before and know meeting at dinner is good. The other couple have not river cruised before so it will be fun to watch their reactions to life on board. Please let your parents know it is okay to stay on board if they don't want to go out..Crews on the river cruises take wonderful care of those who remain on board.

Airports can be the hardest part of the trip, so those little carts or wheelchairs are soooo helpful. They can be reserved ahead of time. Good luck--envy you being able to travel as adults with your parents. Pat

I do have a question and a comment on this issue. On our September longship Viking cruise, the noise level was so high in the dining room that one could not hear those across the table, unless someone was almost literally yelling. That, of course, the number of people almost literally yelling, only added to the problem. This left most discussions to be had only with those sitting next to you, rarely across the table. This experience was from typically a 6 top.

Unless the Uniworld ships have much better noise abatement than Viking, not sure that worrying about 12 together would be an idea situation. One might argue that breaking the group up into two tables of six might be a lot better arrangement.

I do have a question and a comment on this issue. On our September longship Viking cruise, the noise level was so high in the dining room that one could not hear those across the table, unless someone was almost literally yelling. That, of course, the number of people almost literally yelling, only added to the problem. This left most discussions to be had only with those sitting next to you, rarely across the table. This experience was from typically a 6 top.

Unless the Uniworld ships have much better noise abatement than Viking, not sure that worrying about 12 together would be an idea situation. One might argue that breaking the group up into two tables of six might be a lot better arrangement.

Point very well taken!! I haven't cruised with Viking but I have been to their web site and the longships hold a lot more people than the average river cruiser, perhaps they just have too many people in one space at the same time. But your idea about op splitting group into two tables is obviously the best solution.

The translation for Hoya is rock, so you can sit quietly and absorb your surroundings. Traveling with "older folk" can be a bit challenging. We tend to be over-independent--extremely so. We just celebrated our 50th reunion at Villanova and realized that we are all very active people with moderation. We are traveling with classmates in Dec. There will be 6 of us--two we have cruised with before and know meeting at dinner is good. The other couple have not river cruised before so it will be fun to watch their reactions to life on board. Please let your parents know it is okay to stay on board if they don't want to go out..Crews on the river cruises take wonderful care of those who remain on board.

Airports can be the hardest part of the trip, so those little carts or wheelchairs are soooo helpful. They can be reserved ahead of time. Good luck--envy you being able to travel as adults with your parents. Pat

Hi Pat...congrats on your 50th...Class of '61 here! I agree that Hoyaheel should remind her parents that no one will pressure them to do anything they don't want to do on a river cruise and the ship is always available for those who don't wish to go ashore. In fact, we are very social too, but I find that about mid-way during every cruise I need a "drop out" day....hang out the do not disturb sign, sleep through b'fast (DH will bring me a roll and banana) and after everyone has left the ship I take my book and sit on the sun deck enjoying "my boat"! By the time everyone returns, I'm back to being social! Regarding the wheelchairs: I always use one at the airports because I have ankle problems. I would suggest this though, DO NOT rely on your cruise company to make those arrangements. (Yes, I had a bad experience with this). Now, I always call airline myself and request w/c and when I check in at JFK I reconfirm that I will have a w/c (not a golf cart) to transport me to the next gate. We usually fly Lufthansa which means changing in Frankfort and I swear that airport isn't even IN Germany!! As for traveling with parents, I loved mine dearly but I wouldn't have crossed the street with them after they retired!!! :D

Sorry for the wrong impression - our parents aren't that old (they'd be the first to tell you that :p) and are quite active. My in-laws have done 5 river cruises in the past few years, but it's the first Christmas Market cruise for them, and for the other 4 of us, will be our first river cruise. So I'm not worried about anyone getting around. And we're all world travelers (my stepdad has actually been working & living abroad for the past few years) and most of us are not flying together - I'm not worried about how anyone will handle themself while traveling or on the cruise or on shore. I'm *certain* I'm worried about nothing, but I'm very much a solo traveler (even learning to love traveling with my husband took a little time:rolleyes:) and like doing what I want to do when I want to do it and not be concerned with what others want to do.

Suck it up for family time I guess - because it's true, while not "old" ;) we're all aging and who knows if we'll be able to do a big family trip again?

Sorry for the wrong impression - our parents aren't that old (they'd be the first to tell you that :p) and are quite active. My in-laws have done 5 river cruises in the past few years, but it's the first Christmas Market cruise for them, and for the other 4 of us, will be our first river cruise. So I'm not worried about anyone getting around. And we're all world travelers (my stepdad has actually been working & living abroad for the past few years) and most of us are not flying together - I'm not worried about how anyone will handle themself while traveling or on the cruise or on shore. I'm *certain* I'm worried about nothing, but I'm very much a solo traveler (even learning to love traveling with my husband took a little time:rolleyes:) and like doing what I want to do when I want to do it and not be concerned with what others want to do.

Suck it up for family time I guess - because it's true, while not "old" ;) we're all aging and who knows if we'll be able to do a big family trip again?

Sounds like you're all seasoned travelers and shouldn't have any problems of any kind. I hear you loud and clear about doing what you want, when you want and not being concerned with what others want. Fortunately DH and I on the same page virtually all the time so that's never been an issue with us but like I said, I still need my "drop out" day.:D