Premium Seats - allocation

I was wondering! If you pre-book Premium Seats for long haul flights say for Jamaica or Barbados cruises do you have to go on the Thomson site and reserve specific seats 90 days before the return flight?

Or, are you just allocated randomly to passengers. It seems a lot of money to invest and end up sitting on different rows (one in front of the other).

Can anyone help?

Len

I was wondering! If you pre-book Premium Seats for long haul flights say for Jamaica or Barbados cruises do you have to go on the Thomson site and reserve specific seats 90 days before the return flight?

Or, are you just allocated randomly to passengers. It seems a lot of money to invest and end up sitting on different rows (one in front of the other).

Can anyone help?

Len

you have to go to the site below 90 days before your return flight - fill in the details asked for then go to the select seats options and pick what seats you want - presuming they haven't already been taken

https://flightextras.thomson.co.uk/

Many thanks Iain.

The key factor is if they haven't been taken already.

I guess its a lottery as to if all or most of the seats have already been sold. We usually book the cruise early but that is no guarantee of being properly next to each other.

Len

Many thanks Iain.

The key factor is if they haven't been taken already.

I guess its a lottery as to if all or most of the seats have already been sold. We usually book the cruise early but that is no guarantee of being properly next to each other.

Len

True - i am travelling to Jamaica in Jan and have paid to pre-book seats (which i can do a week tomorrow) , which i'm sure i'll get no probs but i'd be disappointed if they where in front / behind each other or across an aisle - Thomson consider this seated together in their T&C's however i'm sure most would agree that is not what i call being seated together .....

Hi Len, the secret is stay up to midnight just as the clock hits the 90 day, and book your seats then, you will get 2 seats together , I can guarantee that, we'll nearly 99% , I called thomson today asking if I could book my seats 1 day before select your seat opens for my January holiday, and got told NO, I explained that on the day the seats open, I would be away on another thomson cruise, and thought they maybe come and go a little, but still NO, we'll at least they have great customer relations lol, , are you going on the thomson dream Len on the 6th January , same as me and Iain.

Hope this helps

Alex

I dont know why they cant allocate/choose seats at the point of booking?...you can do this with most other airlines (it only costs about £4 per seat on easyjet)

tbh select your seat isnt set in stone either...they can (and do) change the aircraft at the last minute..... you can suddenly find your seat doesnt exist anymore?!

i have just logged on to the seat plan and selected our seats for our chritmas cruise hurrah its the dreamliner:cool::cool:...for now?)

the seat plan opened sometime last week...the cabin is pretty full already and the return flight is even fuller??...I think they hold a few blocks of seats back (which are unselectable) ..... for families that turn up at checkin late? havent paid to select but want to sit together

i have just logged on to the seat plan and selected our seats for our chritmas cruise hurrah its the dreamliner:cool::cool:...for now?)

the seat plan opened sometime last week...the cabin is pretty full already and the return flight is even fuller??...I think they hold a few blocks of seats back (which are unselectable) ..... for families that turn up at checkin late? havent paid to select but want to sit together

Thats what annoys me about Thomsons , they are happy to take money from you to pre-book seats but also want to seat people who haven't selected this option (sometimes at the expense of those who have paid extra) together as well , whereas other airlines give priority to those who paid the premium !!!

Thats what annoys me about Thomsons , they are happy to take money from you to pre-book seats but also want to seat people who haven't selected this option (sometimes at the expense of those who have paid extra) together as well , whereas other airlines give priority to those who paid the premium !!!

yep..its a tricky one this isnt it?...I wouldnt like to see someones young child sat on their own (next to garry glitter) miles away from their parents...I wouldnt want to see a mother sitting on her own with baby and a screaming toddler while dad/elder siblings are seated elsewhere

but then i wouldnt want to give my (pre selected) seat up either? especially to people who hadnt paid the fee to sit together

yes...i agree this does penalise families and thomsons are supposed to be family friendly?

its relatively easy to seat couples together as long they dont mind where they are seated no need for them to pay the fee imo

but

if i am travelling with family (6 of us) i stump up the cash to guarantee that we all sit together...mainly because i wouldnt want to inflict my children (or grandma) on other people trying to have a peaceful flight, 6 x £30 on long haul is a lot of cash considering we could just stroll into checkin late and get the best block of seats right at the front/back for nothing!:rolleyes:

the whole select your seat issue on thomsons is not just very expensive (compared to other no frills lines) the system is completely broken?

they make you wait until 90 days before your return flight (with no exceptions whatever the reason) but then they allow people who have booked for 1 week to get first dibs on the best seats on the return flight a full week before those that have booked 2 weeks! :(

they hold back blocks of seats (at the front and back near the doors)...the seats a lot of people might want and might be happy to pay to reserve but dont find out that they cant until some considerable time after they have actually paid the fee!:mad:

Edited by geomagot

All very valid points , Thomson cost for pre-booking of seats is extortinate compared to other airlines therefore i can understand why a family of 4 even may not want to add £120 to the cost of their holiday.

The 90 days before your return journey i would love the Thomson explanation for that one as it seems to favour people who have paid less (presumably as they have only booked for a week) , surely 90 days before date of departure would be fairer ???

Anyway at 12.01am on 22nd October i'll be online ensuring i get my seats together , i'm going longhaul so am hopefully there are not too many folk travelling for only a week.

Muffinman - did you book on-line or through a TA ??

I booked through a TA and they offered to book seats on my behalf if i told them roughly what kind of seat i wanted - i declined as i doubt they'll go on-line at a minute past 12 , but it may be the reason they have block booked seats as per Geomagot's earlier post ??? - worth asking ??

just a thought?....... if a t/a has block booked row(s) of seats then doesnt that make a bit of a mockery of being able to select your seat? you will only be able to select one from the block that they have previously selected? (i wouldnt want to be charged for that...i wouldnt even like that too much if it was free tbh)

anyway

if any of you guys do go line at 12.01 i would be interested to know (on longhaul 767 or 787) which/how many blocks of seats are greyed out? (i know about the legroom seats and the 1st row mobility seats) if you are in premium then the entire economy cabin will be greyed out (likewise if you have booked extra legroom)

in either cabin i would also be interested to know if many people have booked already before you?

please

thanks guys:cool:

just a thought?....... if a t/a has block booked row(s) of seats then doesnt that make a bit of a mockery of being able to select your seat? you will only be able to select one from the block that they have previously selected? (i wouldnt want to be charged for that...i wouldnt even like that too much if it was free tbh)

anyway

if any of you guys do go line at 12.01 i would be interested to know (on longhaul 767 or 787) which/how many blocks of seats are greyed out? (i know about the legroom seats and the 1st row mobility seats) if you are in premium then the entire economy cabin will be greyed out (likewise if you have booked extra legroom)

in either cabin i would also be interested to know if many people have booked already before you?

please

thanks guys:cool:

No probs i'll make note of it next week and let you know via this thread :-)

There are inconsistencies which don't seem fair - I think I've told the tale before of our friends who never pay to book plane seats. We had paid to sit together on the basis of it being a long flight to the Caribbean. Anyway we got our chosen seats and then my friend came up to us and said - you'll never guess...... we've been put in Premium complete with free drinks etc!!!!!!!

As others have described, there was a mis-match - not all the Premium seats had been sold so they were allocated presumably at check-in to those who hadn't booked anything! I felt it unfair - surely at least someone who had paid something, albeit much less than the cost of Premium, should have been offered those seats before someone who'd paid nothing! If we, or presumably anyone else, who had paid to book seats were asked at check-in if they would like an upgrade then I guess they would have happily accepted thus releasing their seats to be allocated to anyone who had not booked.

There are inconsistencies which don't seem fair - I think I've told the tale before of our friends who never pay to book plane seats. We had paid to sit together on the basis of it being a long flight to the Caribbean. Anyway we got our chosen seats and then my friend came up to us and said - you'll never guess...... we've been put in Premium complete with free drinks etc!!!!!!!

As others have described, there was a mis-match - not all the Premium seats had been sold so they were allocated presumably at check-in to those who hadn't booked anything! I felt it unfair - surely at least someone who had paid something, albeit much less than the cost of Premium, should have been offered those seats before someone who'd paid nothing! If we, or presumably anyone else, who had paid to book seats were asked at check-in if they would like an upgrade then I guess they would have happily accepted thus releasing their seats to be allocated to anyone who had not booked.

Infuriating , its not as if its difficult to see who has paid for there seats - easy for them to do on a first come basis

That does seem very wrong, Kruzseeka. We got upgraded to Business Class from traveller class on BA years ago because DH was a frequent flyer with them and usually travelled business class. Now there was a huge difference in facilities in Business compared with traveller including seats which went flat so that you could sleep comfortably. It also enabled BA to sell our traveller seats.

Three years ago, Thomson had not sold all their Premium seats from Newcastle to Mexico and were selling them at check in...£60 each, so we thought we would try it. Apart from free drinks I was not that impressed so didn't bother on the way back when they were desperately trying to sell them at Cancun airport.

Multiple quotes not working......

Iain - quite agree - the info available to them at check-in would indicate who had paid some extra and you couldn't quibble if it was first come first served.

Jakanne - yes that too would seem fair - sell them off at reduced rate at check-in.

It's the unfairness, randomness and inconsistencies which get me annoyed.

yes...they offer 2 for 1 and various offers on the premium seats at checkin if they have any unsold...we have done it too..its okay...if you can get premium seats cheap enough…very irritating that they only offer this deal to people who hadn’t booked any extras tho!

we were upgraded free on the virgin once…years ago (they had overbooked the economy cabin) they asked for volunteers to give up their seats...we volunteered fully expecting to be bumped off the flight and put on the next one (we didnt mind as an extra day in barbados was fine by us…just me and oh travelling so we were pretty flexible and they would have had to pay for it) but instead they put us in premium/business… it was lovely (upper class would have been even lovelier)

now that thoms have a complementary bar on longhaul in economy I can see them having a few unsold premium seats available…no point in shelling out for premium? you get pause & play ife/free bar/free headphones etc etc in economy this winter and they have plenty of economy extra legroom seats that are a lot cheaper

the premium seats on the dreamliner feel a bit cramped imo, the tv & traytables are stowed in the armrests and the armrests stick out in front of you and are quite high making it a little uncomfortable and difficult to get in and out of your seat (despite the extra legroom) and row 7 doesn’t even have a window! people from the economy cabin queue for the toilet (by the curtain) so you still have to queue up too....£300 odd quid is a lot to pay for an amenity pack

Edited by geomagot

Hi all, tried emailing thomson again, asking if I could book my seats 2 days earlier. As we will be in the middle of the Med when the seats open, to be told it's the 23rd and there's no way they can help, there a shower of bbbbbs in my eye, think it's back to Thomas Cook from now on for all my holidays, I will try and see if the T/A will book my seats on the morning of the 23 rd when they open.

Is it definitely a 2-4-2 seating ? Let me know anyone

Thanks Alex

Hi all, tried emailing thomson again, asking if I could book my seats 2 days earlier. As we will be in the middle of the Med when the seats open, to be told it's the 23rd and there's no way they can help, there a shower of bbbbbs in my eye, think it's back to Thomas Cook from now on for all my holidays, I will try and see if the T/A will book my seats on the morning of the 23 rd when they open.

Thanks Alex

Just a thought why don't you ask if they will get someone on the ship to book for you. Reception must have internet access.

If not ask for your money back.

Thanks Alex

tbh 767 could be 2 4 2 or 2 3 2

travel agent will do it for you if you have booked with them...although they probably wont do it at midnight...if you have booked online then they will still do it but will charge you £5 (i think?)

maybe you could use some free wifi somewhere? to logon while you are abroad? or find an internet cafe?

I wouldnt worry too much...I didnt select my seats until a week after online seat plan opened there still plenty of suitable seats left to choose from

tbh 767 could be 2 4 2 or 2 3 2

travel agent will do it for you if you have booked with them...although they probably wont do it at midnight...if you have booked online then they will still do it but will charge you £5 (i think?)

maybe you could use some free wifi somewhere? to logon while you are abroad? or find an internet cafe?

I wouldnt worry too much...I didnt select my seats until a week after online seat plan opened there still plenty of suitable seats left to choose from

It's Defo a 2-3-2 combo , 258 seats , I have had it confirmed by Thomsons that's the 767 we will have - Muffinman - do you have no family members you trust who could do it for you while you are away ??

Thanks for. All your help and knowing its a 2-3-2 helps to, I will ask my T/A to book our seats on Thursday morn when they open, the guy I always book with will do it for us at no cost, since we spend loads of money in their shop every year , hopefully he will get us decent seats, we like up front like rows 2,3,4 , window and middle, don't know why I sit up the front, I thought being at the back would be much safer, as I've never heard of a plane reversing into a mountain :D , anyway I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, roll on 6 days from now to I get on my wee Island Escape, and I'm still swithering to go to Rome or not, it's a Saturday, it will be mobbed , loads of things have massive queues , trevie fountain not on and fenced off, colosseum has scaffolding all around it, the pope will be watching X-Factor, is it really worth it for £ 84 each :confused: I will wait until Friday to decide .

Alex