Price Drop Question

unc1acc

So I never expected this to happen but my cruise coming up at end of November has dropped $300!?! With CCL, I was able to call because of price protection and get onboard credit,etc. Does RCCL offer anything like that? My first (and only cruise) with Royal Caribbean went up in price before I left.

I booked a (G) Oceanview and while the price has gone down $300, the (G) Balcony is only $100 more than what I paid for OV. I booked through an online travel site and now they are offering specialty dining, pre-paid tips, onboard credit, etc.

My question: am I just S.O.L. with Royal Caribbean and travel site where I booked? If you don't know what that stands for...google it.

Not angry at all because I know things happen and maybe ship is struggling to get full? But just curious if it even be worth a call? Has anyone had any luck?

So I never expected this to happen but my cruise coming up at end of November has dropped $300!?! With CCL, I was able to call because of price protection and get onboard credit,etc. Does RCCL offer anything like that? My first (and only cruise) with Royal Caribbean went up in price before I left.

I booked a (G) Oceanview and while the price has gone down $300, the (G) Balcony is only $100 more than what I paid for OV. I booked through an online travel site and now they are offering specialty dining, pre-paid tips, onboard credit, etc.

My question: am I just S.O.L. with Royal Caribbean and travel site where I booked? If you don't know what that stands for...google it.

Not angry at all because I know things happen and maybe ship is struggling to get full? But just curious if it even be worth a call? Has anyone had any luck?

Royal does not give credit of any kind for price drops after final payment date.

However, if a better category stateroom has also come down in price, you may be able to get a free or low cost upgrade. You would have to contact whoever booked your cruise.

Edited by clarea

Royal does not give credit of any kind for price drops after final payment date.

However, if a better category stateroom has also come down in price, you may be able to get a free or low cost upgrade. You would have to contact whoever booked your cruise.

Thanks for the quick response! I knew I'd find the answer here. Might be checking out that balcony upgrade for less than $100. It's for a guarantee (x) category, so not sure what I would get from that...luck of the draw.

Thanks for the quick response! I knew I'd find the answer here. Might be checking out that balcony upgrade for less than $100. It's for a guarantee (x) category, so not sure what I would get from that...luck of the draw.

If you are told that the lower prices are restrcited to new bookings, you (or your travel agent) may have to speak to Resolutions. They usually allow an upgrade if you are paying more money.

I am in the same boat (pun intended) as you. My category Q inside cabin (Allure of the Seas) went down in price so I got to upgrade to a Central Park view for $77. I then saw that the Central Park balcony is lower than what I originally paid for my inside so I upgraded to that for free. I now see that an Oceanview Balcony is $23 more than what I paid for the inside so I am going to try to upgrade again as I would rather look at the ocean than a bunch of people walking around.

Make sure that if you booked through a TA that you have them call Royal as Royal won't even talk to you about the price of upgrading. Learned that the hard way as my TA was closed on the weekend when I first saw the price drop.

A few days ago we upgraded our 10/19 Allure cruise from a D6 balcony to a D1 balcony guarantee (the D1 is the large hump balcony) - and we got upgraded to a JS!! I'm not saying this happens often, but if you would be happy with the balcony then I would recommend the guarantee. You never know :D

We are on the Freedom, 11/30. Booked a balcony and noticed yesterday a Jr. Suite Gty was $74 lower than what we paid. Called TA and she said, no, it is a Going, Going, Gone rate for new bookings only.

I asked her to call RC and explain the situation. Five minutes later, we were offered JS for $64 per cabin. Took it and kept all amenities: OBC, prepaid gratituites, spa credit, and speciality dinner for two.

Got marginal JS assignments an hour later and the W Guaranty was indeed Gone by that time. Called TA this morning and switched those to huge Junior Suites. Well worth calling, IMO.

This has been my experience as well. I upgraded to a W (suite guarantee) on the Allure this past spring at the "going going gone" rate about a week from sailing.

This is pretty much my technique these days unless the suite price was really good when I originally book. My next 2 cruises are currently balconies, but I'll upgrade to a suite guarantee (or better) if the price is right. If inventory is high prices will start to drop ~3 weeks out (for each category where there is inventory that is).

If you do this check prices daily (or use a site that does it for you) as many of the drops are inventory based and will go up automatically once cabins are held or even reserved (watched this happen in real time on the Allure as the JS inventory started to drop; prices went up once (just) 2 cabins were left).

We are on the Freedom, 11/30. Booked a balcony and noticed yesterday a Jr. Suite Gty was $74 lower than what we paid. Called TA and she said, no, it is a Going, Going, Gone rate for new bookings only.

I asked her to call RC and explain the situation. Five minutes later, we were offered JS for $64 per cabin. Took it and kept all amenities: OBC, prepaid gratituites, spa credit, and speciality dinner for two.

Got marginal JS assignments an hour later and the W Guaranty was indeed Gone by that time. Called TA this morning and switched those to huge Junior Suites. Well worth calling, IMO.

Good news: there are no bad balcony cabins on the Freedom!

:)

Thanks for all the great input. The prices are still there tonight and I'm giving them a call! Hope for good news. Regardless, I'll be on Freedom having a blast.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I am doing the happy dance. Just changed my outside, bottom of the boat cabin to a balcony on my Christmas cruise. The price was $9 less but I will gladly let Royal keep it. Can't believe there are still balconies on the Freedom for Christmas week.