Sort of B2B shore excursion question

jongbj

Hi again Poss,

We have had our share of issues this year - hip replacement, hand surgery and cancer for our beloved pet. But we are still trying to figure out how to cruise. We would love to see you. Please take care and hope to see you soon.

Would dearly love to be on that sailing, Rachel. We adored our first Alaska cruise (Mariner), and despite the fact that we would not be able to be as active next time around, the scenery itself (and the ship!) would be a joy. Our weather was kind of awful for that first trip (actually we'd been to Alaska before, but not cruising), but the cold, windy, rainy dreariness didn't make much of a dent in our pleasure.

Travelcat: I know you're on that Riviera cruise and I know Regent is really where your heart is. (Does anyone on Planet Earth not know that?) ;-) Though I kind of wanted to stay out of things, I follow your posts, and, like so many others, have always very much appreciated your energetic contributions. Thanks for all that! Btw, one of the ugly things about the chikungunya mosquito is that it strikes during the day, not the evening-- a bummer. If mosquitoes didn't love me quite to the extent that they do (no matter how much I slather), and probably if I hadn't had a friend die after being bitten by one of the other buggers, I think I'd be less hung up on all this. In fact, though, the virus is fairly rampant in several of the Caribbean islands (worse in Jamaica I believe) and present (if not rampant) in I think every one of them. Be careful, TC--CC needs you! :-)

Patti: Sorry to hear about your own slings and arrows. May things resolve well. Life can be tough (and oh, so beautiful). On top of my husband's cognitive impairment, he took a bad fall last year, and somehow the serious fracture in sacrum/pelvis wasn't caught in time to prevent permanent nerve damage (cauda equina syndrome). Not a whole lot of fun. But his fracture is repaired and he's out of pain. And he is still more precious to me than the heavens, the earth, and the oceans.

I suspect I'm not supposed to be posting all the personal stuff?

poss and Patti22, posting personal stuff helps people to realize that we are all human beings - not just made-up names on a posting board. We all face our challenges to the best of our ability.

I looked up the dreaded mosquito and learned that it is much more widespread that I had realized. Here is a link to the World Health Organization for anyone that is interested: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs327/en/ . Three out of the nine ports we are visiting next month have the mosquito. I knew about St. Barts (already planned on staying on the ship for that port) but did not know about Martinique or Guadeloupe. Knowing what I know now, if I have an urge to visit these places, we'll do so mid-day.

We booked the cruise simply to be on the Riviera - in a suite that would not be affordable on Regent. Secondarily, we look forward to visiting Aruba again and snorkeling in Bonaire (found a wonderful company that takes out a maximum of four people at time -- she can show you just about anything you are interested in seeing). We also have not been to Santa Marta, Columbia, Basseterre, Nevis or Isla Margarita, Venezuela. In any case poss, really think it would be nice for you and your hubby to get away for a couple of weeks.

Edited by Travelcat2

I had to look that mosquito up as I had not heard of it. Very nasty guy. Good thing I am not headed to the Carribean any time soon because if there is a mosquito anywhere within 20 miles, it will find me.

The great thing about Alaska is that even if you just stay on the ship, the scenery is beautiful. Weather is always hit or miss there. We have had terrible weather for a week, beautiful sunny weather, and everything in between.

Hi to TC and poss,

Good to know about the dreaded mosquito, I did not know about this one. Since we cannot cruise for long trips right now, we have planned a land trip to Costs Rica in Jan. DH attracts every mosquito within a mile radius - even using DEET

Poss, I am trying very hard to keep Hizzoner off all ballots right now!! Not an easy task.