Radiance class aft balcony cruisers, help me choose.

indie

I am currently booked in the much coveted D1 9256 for Brilliance, western carribean. It will be my 1st balcony.

The view looks wonderful, but I have a few concerns.

My wife and I would really enjoy the views, the light, and the privacy, but we dont like to sit or lay out in the direct sun. We much prefer shade/coverage.

We want to spend alot of time on our balcony enjoying the scenery and the sound of the wake, but not having enough shade would limit our use.

There are other great center aft (and hump) options that would likely provide more cover.

9660, 9260, 1104 and 1604 are available.

The two large 9th deck elevator humps are open too.

What would you do?

I am currently booked in the much coveted D1 9256 for Brilliance, western carribean. It will be my 1st balcony.

My wife and I would really enjoy the views, the light, and the privacy, but we dont like to sit or lay out in the direct sun. We much prefer shade/coverage.

We want to spend alot of time on our balcony enjoying the scenery and the sound of the wake, but not having enough shade would limit our use.

There are other great center aft (and hump) options that would likely provide more cover.

What would you do?

We prefer 1104/1604 over 9256. Less wind, more shade.

What would you do?

Enjoyed 9256 on the Jewel of the Seas. Loved the view of the wake and size of the balcony, wouldn't have traded it for anything.

Never had a hump though so I can't compare. Obviously if lots of shade is important to you that might be better.

But since you're asking for opinions, I'd say stick with what you've got.

Enjoyed 9256 on the Jewel of the Seas. Loved the view of the wake and size of the balcony, wouldn't have traded it for anything.

Never had a hump though so I can't compare. Obviously if lots of shade is important to you that might be better.

But since you're asking for opinions, I'd say stick with what you've got.

How was the shade/coverage in 9256

How was the shade/coverage in 9256

depended on the time of day and the position of the ship. At times there was lots of shade at other times none.

We have done numerous balconies, never on the hump though, and this one was fabulous.

Even on a regular balcony there are times when there is no shade.

Do a google search: 9256 balcony . You will see for yourself.....

Edited by monicajay

More sun, less shade. There's actually more usable balcony space on the center afts, due to the shape of the balcony, and while there is plenty of sun if you want, you can always pull your chair further back into shade. We've been in humb 1056, too, nearly all shade all the time. The downside to 1104/1604 is there is so little breeze, it can get pretty hot.

Edited by Miss Vickie

Haven't been in 9256, but we book the JS above it (1100) every chance we get. The balconies are deep, and at least half is in the shade unless the sun is aft of the ship (then all bets are off). Most of the hump balconies on that class of ship have virtually no shade (unless the sun is on the other side of the ship). I wouldn't trade an aft balcony for a hump balcony on that class of ship without a significant fight.:)

Been in 9256 1104 and 1102 and have enjoyed each cabin. The shade will depend on the direction of the ship. You may have sun (sunrise) on the way out and shade ( and the sunset) on the way home ..... Or vice versa .

If you stand by the rail on the true aft (1102 or 1104)the folks standing at the rail at the Windjammer can look down at you. They cannot see back into the balcony closer to the cabin sliding doors.

We had a little problem with noise from the folks at the rail when we went through the Panama Canal. the folks in the Windjammer area were speaking so loudly we couldn't hear the narration coming from our cabin . Never heard any noise from the Windjammer itself in either cabin

We've also been in the cabins on the slant of the hump on the Radiance class and prefer 9256 or two true aft over that cabin. that slant balcony is very long and narrow, almost tunnel like

Enjoy.

M

WE had an aft balcony. I know we liked it but there were 2 issues. I don't remember the floor but we could hear noise above us. That wasn't so bothersome. The main issue was always walking to the Aft. There are no aft elevators on RC. After a couple days we really started to plan better so we didn't have to go back to the room.

If the mid day sun is beating down on ANY balcony, it will hot. The aft balcony cabins never seemed any hotter or muggier than others. The air will be a bit more still closer to the cabin sliding door on all balconies.

Now that I think about it, I might suggest the 9256. That is a unique balcony experience as it provides both a side and aft view and is often harder to book.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

WE had an aft balcony. I know we liked it but there were 2 issues. I don't remember the floor but we could hear noise above us. That wasn't so bothersome. The main issue was always walking to the Aft. There are no aft elevators on RC. After a couple days we really started to plan better so we didn't have to go back to the room.

We have never had an issue with people being able to look down at us; the only time they can see us is when we're standing at the balcony rail. Nor do we have an issue with noise from the Windjammer. We've had 1104 or 1604 on all but a 4 of our Radiance class cruises. One was in a hump, 1056, and one back to back was in 9256. Walking to the aft is not a big deal, and the hall back there is always quiet - no one comes back there who doesn't need to be there.

Thank you all so far. Is the center aft hot/muggy?

To me, that's the biggest drawback, yes, it does get hot (but not muggy). There is no breeze when the ship is moving unless you are right by the railing. It doesn't mean those aren't our favorite cabins, though. We're in 1104 for our 2015 B2B and 1604 for our 2016 B2B. We book the day the itineraries open to ensure we get those cabins.

Miss Vickie, you have quite a radiance class resume. So 1604 and 1104 are your favorites over 9256? If that is correct, why do you prefer them? Is there any balcony difference between the two?

If the mid day sun is beating down on ANY balcony, it will hot. The aft balcony cabins never seemed any hotter or muggier than others. The air will be a bit more still closer to the cabin sliding door on all balconies.

Now that I think about it, I might suggest the 9256. That is a unique balcony experience as it provides both a side and aft view and is often harder to book.

M

I'm having such a hard time deciding, but want to do it now before all of the options are gone. It has to be so coveted for good reason, but i'm trying to figure out if its he best for me, who isnt much for direct sun. The openess and corner location should allow for more of a breeze. The view looks unbeatable, but I do think 9256 looks a little more crowded with the loungers and 2 chairs and often looks to be full sun in pictures, while usually the center afts seem to have a decent sized shady area.

The walk to the aft doesnt bother me. I want to be able to spend alot of time enjoying the balcony with my wife .:)

Edited by indie

there are too many variables to determine sunlight. are you an aft aft, which is completely in the rear..?

Yes, 9256, 9260, 9660, 1104 and 1604 are all completely to the rear, with 9256 being corner aft with a wider but shallower balcony.

Miss Vickie, you have quite a radiance class resume. So 1604 and 1104 are your favorites over 9256? If that is correct, why do you prefer them? Is there any balcony difference between the two?

Sorry Miss Vickie, I see that you explained your preference in an earlier post.

We have never had an issue with people being able to look down at us; the only time they can see us is when we're standing at the balcony rail. Nor do we have an issue with noise from the Windjammer. We've had 1104 or 1604 on all but a 4 of our Radiance class cruises. One was in a hump, 1056, and one back to back was in 9256. Walking to the aft is not a big deal, and the hall back there is always quiet - no one comes back there who doesn't need to be there.

Thank you all so far. Is the center aft hot/muggy?

To me, that's the biggest drawback, yes, it does get hot (but not muggy). There is no breeze when the ship is moving unless you are right by the railing. It doesn't mean those aren't our favorite cabins, though. We're in 1104 for our 2015 B2B and 1604 for our 2016 B2B. We book the day the itineraries open to ensure we get those cabins.

Radiance class is, indeed our favorite. They'll have to drag us off of them kicking and screaming :).

I'm having such a hard time deciding, but want to do it now before all of the options are gone. It has to be so coveted for good reason, but i'm trying to figure out if its he best for me, who isnt much for direct sun. The openess and corner location should allow for more of a breeze. The view looks unbeatable, but I do think 9256 looks a little more crowded with the loungers and 2 chairs and often looks to be full sun in pictures, while usually the center afts seem to have a decent sized shady area.

The walk to the aft doesnt bother me. I want to be able to spend alot of time enjoying the balcony with my wife .:)

1104/1604 have huge rectangular balconies. There is plenty of room for 2 lounge chairs, 2 regular chairs, the small table, plus a lot more space to walk around. Or move the chairs around. The balcony on 9256 , while large, is not rectangular, the furniture is more crowded, and there isn't as much room to move it around. The wrap around part allows for nice views, but is really quite tight. There is significant breeze when the ship is moving, and virtually no shade during parts of the day.

We loved 1600. I always choose rear facing afts so out of the choices you gave I would pick 1104/1604. There is nothing like sitting on the balcony watching the wake of the ship. It is also very quiet way back there, and I enjoy the walk too. :)

Edit to add, it can be crazy windy on the port or starboard sides but the aft is more protected from the elements.

Edited by SPacificbound

Thanks again you guys for helping. I'm still torn but getting great feedback on things that will help me decide on what would work best for us.

I just thought of another thing. Smoking. I always avoid smoking areas. I have asthma and smoke also irritates my wife. I understand there is no smoking on balconies, but 9256 is starboard side correct?

Can any recent cruisers on starboard corner balconies tell me whether they notice any smoke?

Thanks again you guys for helping. I'm still torn but getting great feedback on things that will help me decide on what would work best for us.

I just thought of another thing. Smoking. I always avoid smoking areas. I have asthma and smoke also irritates my wife. I understand there is no smoking on balconies, but 9256 is starboard side correct?

Can any recent cruisers on starboard corner balconies tell me whether they notice any smoke?

You shouldn't notice any smoke. The back of the ship is probably 400 ft (and one deck down) from the closest pool deck smoking area, and 9256 is on the port side (left side when facing forward) of the ship.

Wasn't all that recent but I did spend 14 nights in 9256 and never had a whiff of smoke.

We loved the long rail of the balcony and asked the steward to remove one chair so it was less crowded.

What would you do?

So Glad you posted this. We are booked on The brilliance of the seas roon 9256 December 6th, 2014!! We are sooo excited, this too will be our first balcony after 31 cruises LOL!!!! I knew nothing about what balony to choose when we booked the room so I went on cruise critic message boards and asked the suggested best balcony room on the Brillance and got a resounding suggestion for 9256!! My DH won the cruise on a radio station, it is a charted by Billy Fucillo car dealerships (he gave out free cruises when people bought or leased a new vehicle back in March of this year) , so in very small print it said you can choose your room but we cannot guarntee that you will get it, well I put in the suggested 9256 Aft Balcony cabin and WE GOT IT!!!!! So , we are pretty darn excited that we got this very popular and hard to book cabin for FREE!!! When are you sailing??? Please let us know if you liked it if you said before we do.