classic beverage option ?'s

amscene1

Im only a beer drinker so.....

Can I just get this for myself or do I have to buy it for My GF who does not drink?

Does classic include all beers (even the 50 craft beers?) I mostly would have 1 craft beer and a dozen or so Heineken lights :)

Don't know how you could go back to Heiny LIGHTS:eek: after experiencing a Dogfishh Head 90 or 120 minute IPA or a London Pride.

You might like to try the funky martinis at the Martini Bar or the Wild drinks at the Molecular Bar.

Edited by gsb

.... Of course, tips bring favors. From an experienced drinker that comes as no surprise and need not be mentioned.

Fair suck of the Sav, Mate ! These so called "tips" are nothing but bribes... and should be outlawed !

The practice of the "Golden handshake" is to my mind a blight on society :mad:

Fair suck of the Sav, Mate ! These so called "tips" are nothing but bribes... and should be outlawed !

This is life, my man.;)

Of course they are. Again, one is surprised. I'm not arguing right or wrong just the fact it occurs. In Vegas, you want a good seat at a show a "tip" gets you one. No different.

As to cultural differences, that's another topic for another day.

"Did you have a all inclusive package on the Radiance? Or did you pay as you ordered?"

We had a wine packages on the Radiance and paid for other drinks. Now if from some authority that you believe holding a drinks package on Equinox means a different quality of service to those paying for each drink then Celebrity may have some problems given their advertising on the matter.

"My only comment is that it is virtually impossible to list every dr k available regardless of package or not."

Permit this simple soul to ask: If a wine list containing hundreds of wines can be left on every third table of the main dining room why can't 3 or 4 drinks lists containing all the drinks available in a package be held at each of the 9 (as advised above) bars?

"My only comment is that it is virtually impossible to list every dr k available regardless of package or not."

Permit this simple soul to ask: If a wine list containing hundreds of wines can be left on every third table of the main dining room why can't 3 or 4 drinks lists containing all the drinks available in a package be held at each of the 9 (as advised above) bars?

Probably because where you order a certain drink depends on whether it's included in the package or not - which I totally disagree with.

I believe that if you order the same drink (hot beverages also) in any venue throughout the ship, then it should either be included in the package or not, as the case may be. It shouldn't make any difference if you are in a speciality restaurant or at the pool, if it's available at one venue under the package, and I'm only referring to venues where they offer the drink, then it should be included at every other venue under the package ;). Not the case for us when we visited Qsine and they tried to bill us for all the drinks which fell under the classic package!

"In Vegas, you want a good seat at a show a "tip" gets you one. No different."

This is one of those interesting flip comments. One our last trip to Vegas we had a certain level of loyalty to our hotel. We received, without bribery" everything that was expected and in fact more.

A careful review of many posts here seems to reveal.

1. Comments such as "I am not a brand person" when someone advises that promised brand names were not available. broadly this is acceptance that lies can be told about benefits.

2. The Vegas broadly shows that point 1 is supported by an indication that you can buy your way into anywhere on Celebrity regardless of what is advised promoted or declared as specific benefits by celebrity and its loyalty package. In fact itseems that bribery (gross over tipping) puts you ahead of the game.

3. In my simple country this is against the law.

4. It is also advised that employees are paid in board and keep plus a stipend rather than a real wage and rely on tipe to survive. Well there is a gratuities advice that we always pay and a 15% surcharge on drinks to help alleviate that and if you believe that a hot tip for the first round of drinks is helping their cause then you are sadly mistaken. It is imbedded practice and you become part of the perceived scam by doing it.

5. The so called loyalty program was visibly downgraded from day one. The invitations for our level were sent out on a sheet of paper with the advice that individual invitations would not be sent because it was saving the paper, or the world or something. And yet daily we were seemingly besieged with personal invitations to a sales function or something. You rather knew where you stood early in the process.

6. We rated the food as a five in the survey We have been to enough 3 Michelin star restaurants around the world to recognise good food. Oh sorry as someone said when I praised some food "so you have have only eaten in 3 star restaurants we always eat in 5 star restaurants in our town. that was said while dipping a great scallop dish into a platter that was a mixture of ketchup and something else that was indescribable. What more can be said?

Much of Celebrity met our expectations but the trimmings, the things that get the extra stars were bought by those who believe money solves everything. And the interesting thing is that astute staff knew this but could do nothing about it. Quality is not bought by splashing money in front of people and good service is bought by some at the expense of the minimum advertised bottom line of others. Well not in a reasonably society that is. In Celebrity society it is de rigueur.

There is a complete list from Celebrity in the PDF download on this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2048745

If for some reason you can't read it this is the beer section that is covered in the classic

Beers

Bud Light, Budweiser, Coors Lite, Miller Lite, Franziskaner, Strongbow, San Miguel, Tiger, Estrella Damm Lager, Heineken Light, Heineken, Leffe, Corona, Corona Light

Alaska - Alaskan Amber, Alaskan Brewing Pale Ale, Alaskan Brewing IPA

UK - John Smith's Extra Smooth, Marston's Pedigree Ale

(For some reason they list strongbow as a beer but it seems to be the only cider offered).

With respect my contract was with Celebrity not Cruise Critic. If Cruise Critic has such a list why could it not be supplied by Celebrity to me?

Note San Miguel was refused three times in the Oceanview Cafe. So is your list correct or was this cruise on the Equinox an exception?

What a sad waste of energy and life to expend so much time dwelling on something so disappointing.

We are cruising for 11 days with 4 Aussies in our group on the Equinox in 3 weeks. I will ask if they find the use of the beverage package as intimidating and hard to grasp and have a clear understanding of as you did karanadowns.

Ask what you like, we expected what we were promised, nothing more and nothing less. If you accept less than contracted for then you are suspect and you you believe that buying your way in by bribes (tips to get better than contracted service) then the system is a sham.

So you can deduce what you like. Reasonable people with worldly experience have a reasonable expectation of things, sheep follow the flock and accept what is dished up. We are just not sheep. PS Mesquite I did win the Outback eating challenge in your neighbourhood some time ago. Outback kept their promise and contract.

Hmm, well I guess we were just picky. I nguess it is too much ask for a customer to ask what exactly is available on a package rather than asking a barkeep for his suggestions. We were happy with the quality of what WAS available on the package but really would have liked to make our own mind up as to label etc from what we were "allowed". I guess we just come from the rare breed who likes to make up our own mind rather than being led.

That is exactly why they offer the Premium Package so you can make up your own mind instead of being led. Next time pony up the $1.50 US$ extra per day and try to enjoy your cruise. ;) The classic package is for people who don't care what brand they drink or the brand they drink is included.

I prefer specific call brands for scotch and bourbon. Thus if I want to order them, I'll happily upgrade to get what I want. IMHO the quality of brands on the Premium Package are well worth the difference in upgrade cost.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Ask what you like, we expected what we were promised, nothing more and nothing less. If you accept less than contracted for then you are suspect and you you believe that buying your way in by bribes (tips to get better than contracted service) then the system is a sham.

So you can deduce what you like. Reasonable people with worldly experience have a reasonable expectation of things, sheep follow the flock and accept what is dished up. We are just not sheep. PS Mesquite I did win the Outback eating challenge in your neighbourhood some time ago. Outback kept their promise and contract.

As I read the responses to you in this thread, no one has made the comments about other members of Cruise Critic that sail on Celebrity as you have. You feel the need to elevate yourself by saying we are but mindless sheep. You have no knowledge of what nor how we accept anything, yet rant on all the while stuck on your side of the rabbit proof fence.

Our talley and use of the beverage pkg took 11 pages to print out last yr, without any additional money handed out. I guess we were baaaaaaaaad :rolleyes:

Well Sir you call it as you see it. Views are personal but reasonable people understand what is promised and what is short delivered. We were misled and short delivered.

If a cruise line can print a wine list containing hundreds of wines and have it on every third table in the main restaurant then it can print a drinks list and distribute it to many fewer tables in nine (as advised) bars on the same ship. Not rocket science.

Please me inform me where this theory is wrong?

Attached is the official Celebrity release of the Classic Package as of May 2014. Notice the wording, "Please note that drink prices are subject to change at any time without prior notice and the brands listed below are not guaranteed to be included in the Classic Package." ?

So while you called us all sheeple, why can't we call you a whiner?

Classic Package Inclusions - Inclusions after Pricing Rollback_052814_FINAL.pdf

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Well Sir you call it as you see it. Views are personal but reasonable people understand what is promised and what is short delivered. We were misled and short delivered.

If a cruise line can print a wine list containing hundreds of wines and have it on every third table in the main restaurant then it can print a drinks list and distribute it to many fewer tables in nine (as advised) bars on the same ship. Not rocket science.

Ok, how many variation's of a drink are there in the world? Thousands:eek:

Those with reasonable worldly experience don't need to read a list to know what is in a Bacardi and coke, or soda, or water, or on the rocks, or with a twist, or with a cherry, or with a splash. As you say, "It is not rocket science"

We were promised that any drink under $13 would have a zero after it on our bill, and my oh my, so it was. Well, except for the one time we wanted to see the show and pony'ed up an extra $3 for the martini flight.

image.jpg.0e34f6326d9b79036af25e25d60e666c.jpg

...Permit this simple soul to ask: If a wine list containing hundreds of wines can be left on every third table of the main dining room why can't 3 or 4 drinks lists containing all the drinks available in a package be held at each of the 9 (as advised above) bars?

Just about every restaurant I've ever been to has a wine list which lists all the available wines they serve, but none of them has ever had a list which showed all the possible cocktails they could serve. Usually at most they have a list of a dozen or so cocktail suggestions and when they do it is very common for these few "suggestions" to be some of the pricier cocktails they might serve. Every now and then (I'd say less than 5% of the time) they'll list all the spirits they carry and usually do not include prices on those. The reason for this is clear: Wines are served "neat" and are not mixed. Cocktails by the very nature can include countless combinations of spirits, liqueurs, and mixers in varying quantities.

So the practice you're criticizing is not limited to cruising and is actually pretty common. It's very easy to let the bartender know if you have the classic package and ask if a certain drink is included or for them to recommend one that is.

I see that you are from Australia, so it could very well be that this practice and the extent of wine and cocktail menus are different in Australia than in the USA. If that is the case then this difference in practice might account for the shortfall you're perceiving rather than it being some sort of attempt at deceit by the cruise line.

Edited by Lsimon

In fairness to the staff they may not be aware of all the drinks available on the classic package, as they would neither have that list (if one even exists with the thousands and thousands of possible combinations), and it's unlikely that every bar would have the same ingredients available to make every one of those thousands of drinks. Also, from experience I can tell you that the MDR wine list does not contain hundreds of wines, and in fact does not list all the same wines that are available in some of the specialty restaurants. So, bottom line, your request is pretty much impossible to fulfill. Why not just tell the bartender (or server, or sommelier) what you would like and ask them if it's included? We have had wonderful sommeliers on several cruises who took the time to discuss my tastes, then I just told them what I was having for dinner each evening and let them choose an appropriate wine within the package limit. Not rocket science, and I was never disappointed. I cheerfully never looked at the wine list once and did not feel there was anything "untoward" in the service or the selections that were made for me. Yes, I tipped heartily for the service these wonderful staff members gave me, but it was done at the end of the cruise, not "flashed up front" to get their service.

In fairness to the staff they may not be aware of all the drinks available on the classic package' date=' as they would neither have that list (if one even exists with the thousands and thousands of possible combinations), and it's unlikely that every bar would have the same ingredients available to make every one of those thousands of drinks. Also, from experience I can tell you that the MDR wine list does not contain hundreds of wines, and in fact does not list all the same wines that are available in some of the specialty restaurants. So, bottom line, your request is pretty much impossible to fulfill. Why not just tell the bartender (or server, or sommelier) what you would like and ask them if it's included? We have had wonderful sommeliers on several cruises who took the time to discuss my tastes, then I just told them what I was having for dinner each evening and let them choose an appropriate wine within the package limit. Not rocket science, and I was never disappointed. I cheerfully never looked at the wine list once and did not feel there was anything "untoward" in the service or the selections that were made for me. Yes, I tipped heartily for the service these wonderful staff members gave me, but it was done at the end of the cruise, not "flashed up front" to get their service.[/quote']

Glad I'm not a wine snob.:rolleyes: Now, the craft berrs-that's a different story.

Unlike some of the gratuitous and pompous responses you received, I don't think what you are asking is unreasonable per se.

Maybe not to the full extent of a detailed list, but a list of typical / popular frozen drinks and cocktails included on the classic package

I have not yet sailed on Celebrity, but will be doing so this coming spring. And while we have the classic package included as part of our booking, I must say I too find the "official list" from celebrity lacking of what is included

It would be helpful IMO to list the more popular / typical frozen drinks and cocktails that are included (i.e. is a mojito, rum runner, bahama mama, margarita, etc included). I am not a huge drinker, and not a brand snob. But it would be helpful to know some options so I can try something new

Doesn't seem like too much to ask IMO

Just about every restaurant I've ever been to has a wine list which lists all the available wines they serve, but none of them has ever had a list which showed all the possible cocktails they could serve. Usually at most they have a list of a dozen or so cocktail suggestions and when they do it is very common for these few "suggestions" to be some of the pricier cocktails they might serve. Every now and then (I'd say less than 5% of the time) they'll list all the spirits they carry and usually do not include prices on those. The reason for this is clear: Wines are served "neat" and are not mixed. Cocktails by the very nature can include countless combinations of spirits, liqueurs, and mixers in varying quantities.

So the practice you're criticizing is not limited to cruising and is actually pretty common. It's very easy to let the bartender know if you have the classic package and ask if a certain drink is included or for them to recommend one that is.

I see that you are from Australia, so it could very well be that this practice and the extent of wine and cocktail menus are different in Australia than in the USA. If that is the case then this difference in practice might account for the shortfall you're perceiving rather than it being some sort of attempt at deceit by the cruise line.

100% agree (great post)

I don't think that Celebrity is leading anyone on... Or providing false info

There OFFICIAL LISTS clearly state that availability & pricing are subject to change

Just ONE REASON why there is not a printed book of Cocktails like there are for wines

The other of course is the fact that there are literally 1000s of combos that can be made. If you know any mixologists they would tell you the possibilities (personal preferences are indeed infinite)

In fairness to the staff they may not be aware of all the drinks available on the classic package' date=' as they would neither have that list (if one even exists with the thousands and thousands of possible combinations), and it's unlikely that every bar would have the same ingredients available to make every one of those thousands of drinks.

[b'] Also, from experience I can tell you that the MDR wine list does not contain hundreds of wines, and in fact does not list all the same wines that are available in some of the specialty restaurants. [/b]

So, bottom line, your request is pretty much impossible to fulfill. Why not just tell the bartender (or server, or sommelier) what you would like and ask them if it's included? We have had wonderful sommeliers on several cruises who took the time to discuss my tastes, then I just told them what I was having for dinner each evening and let them choose an appropriate wine within the package limit. Not rocket science, and I was never disappointed. I cheerfully never looked at the wine list once and did not feel there was anything "untoward" in the service or the selections that were made for me. Yes, I tipped heartily for the service these wonderful staff members gave me, but it was done at the end of the cruise, not "flashed up front" to get their service.

Sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with you on this element, and agree with the OP

Celebrity very much has a Wine List with 100s of Bottles of Wines on it (it is a book). Same list / book that I typed up here on CC following my first Celebrity Cruise in 2012, and am planning to do an update to in early 2015

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1566983

This was a Fleet wide list... Although again, due to availability / restocking, not all wines were necessarily available on all ships all the time.

As for venues... I was assured that if there was a bottle of a particular wine onboard, that it could be found and drank in any venue

Same deal with Beers & Spirits... Although it is extra work for Bar Staff, items can be ordered / moved between venues for their Guests

Lol, And YES we are Wine Snobs... :D. Well at least Mr Sloop is as he is working on his Professional Designation as a Sommelier (Retirement project)

Now if you are talking By The Glass...

Then I agree the list is limited (although printed in the front of the Wine Book) especially so if one has the Classic vs Premium Pkg

You are right, the Sommeliers tend to get to know their Custmers and then suggest appropriate choices / pairings

And those can again, like all Alcohol items on the ship be dictated by availability (where the ship is in the world - Restocking - Local Preferences etc)

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I'm pretty sure I've seen this elsewhere and I'm going to do a search but can anyone confirm that if we upgrade to the premium package on the second or third day, we pay a prorated rate on the upgrade?

Never mind! I found the thread...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2108449&highlight=upgrading+beverage+packages

Edited by galavant3

It would be helpful IMO to list the more popular / typical frozen drinks and cocktails that are included (i.e. is a mojito, rum runner, bahama mama, margarita, etc included).

It's not so much the drink name as the BRAND of liquor it's made with. For example you can order a margarita with classic package brand Tequila liquors, premium brand Tequila liquors or above premium brand Tequila liquors. So what's the difficulty? Easy Peasy.

Same holds true for any of the other drinks you named and most you didn't. ;)