Would I be ok wearing a short dress on a formal night?

Elephant999

I wore a shortish sparkly turquoise dress with matching shoes, hooped earrings and a tiara for the formal night and got some strange looks almost as soon as we entered the dining room.

Not sure why, the overall look was extremely tasteful and the missus thought I looked great!:D:p;)

I wore a shortish sparkly turquoise dress with matching shoes, hooped earrings and a tiara for the formal night and got some strange looks almost as soon as we entered the dining room.

Not sure why, the overall look was extremely tasteful and the missus thought I looked great!:D:p;)

That is so funny.:D Cheered me up on a miserable day.

I look absolutely dreadful in calf-length and much better in short, above the knee, although I do have a couple of full length dresses which I like wearing as well. Calf-length is neither out nor nowt, don't know why they look odd, but they do.

I look absolutely dreadful in calf-length and much better in short, above the knee, although I do have a couple of full length dresses which I like wearing as well. Calf-length is neither out nor nowt, don't know why they look odd, but they do.

Can't agree with calf length looking out nor owt. Think it depends on the style of the dress and the age and demeanour of the wearer. A fuller skirt can look incomplete above the knee and sorry but any bus pass holders with dresses above knee are more mutton DAL. - IMO :-)

Can't agree with calf length looking out nor owt. Think it depends on the style of the dress and the age and demeanour of the wearer. A fuller skirt can look incomplete above the knee and sorry but any bus pass holders with dresses above knee are more mutton DAL. - IMO :-)

Thank goodness that is only your opinion.:rolleyes:

There have been a couple of posts from taller ladies. It can be quite difficult to find dresses of a suitable length. Most long dresses are 52"/ 54" length. Most 'knee-length" dresses are around 39". Neither of these fit as described.

Calf length for the average height can be knee length on taller women but as you say, style and fit then enters the equation.

Luckily my legs and knees are fine- in keeping with the rest of me - so I wear what I choose.;)

Going slightly off original question here (that's a surprise) but there are still a lot of long, long dresses around. The shorter longs are so you can show off the killer heels. I take long longs, shorter longs, calf length or knee depending where the cruise is going and have never had any problem at all....enjoy it all:)