RCL Final Payment - Bank Transfer

joll

What did you put as the bank transaction description? I think the point CruisinCat31 was making was to put your booking ref # & surname in there - that is the link for cruiseline accounts dept to match up the payment with you.

Putting all the info in a separate email is probably not going to make it happen.

On the initial bank transfer I put down our RCCL Reservation ID number for the cruise (is that the same as a booking reference number?) and our names. I called when nothing showed up that we had paid and was told to show proof of payment which we did.Called again as we were asked to pay the remainder of our balance or our cruise will be cancelled.Was told to send again proof that we have paid which we did.

I have used this system of payment for many land holidays,domestic and overseas without problems but I'm wondering what my next step will be.

Elaine.

Sorry to hear it has dragged out so long Elaine. Not nice at all. I hope it comes through very soon. I think it came through on ours when we paid direct debit earlier this year on a Saturday morning if I remember, as I was getting anxious and all of a sudden I checked the website and there it was, all paid. Got my fingers crossed for you. It is not like you have asked for a payment method that isn't offered quite clearly on the invoice. :confused:

On the initial bank transfer I put down our RCCL Reservation ID number for the cruise (is that the same as a booking reference number?) and our names.

That's the right number. RCL only have one number (usually 7 digits long) to identify a booking.

Robbery plain and simple! Pay in AU Dollars for an RCCL cruise booked on the RCCL AU site which is the only site you are allowed to use and with only AU Dollars then get charged to transfer back into US Dollars with CC payments.:confused:

Financial robbery plain and simple because RCCL AU does not exist:p

If you book and pay on .com.au and pay on credit card you will be charged what you paid. IE if you paid $1000 then $1000 will appear on your card.

There is no hidden conversions or up charges!

It is no diferent to using you credit card at Woolie in Australia.

Raina

There is no hidden charges from RCI. The charges come only from the bank, if your bank charges for this type of transaction to an overseas company. It is clearly on a separate line on my credit card statement from NAB. They however don't charge me this fee if I pay at Woolies. So it really depends on the bank you use.

Edited by goodycruising

There is no hidden charges from RCI. The charges come only from the bank, if your bank charges for this type of transaction to an overseas company. It is clearly on a separate line on my credit card statement from NAB. They however don't charge me this fee if I pay at Woolies. So it really depends on the bank you use.

That's bizarre! Paying on the Rci australian site is NOT an overseas transaction. When I do buy something O/S or use my card O/S yes I do get a charge onteh separate line. But not when paying Rci.

R

Unfortunately the .com.au website is to a company that processes the payment overseas. They even tell you that if you ring the Australian number to pay. Your bank must be one of the ones that does not charge that international transaction fee if using Aud.

On your RCI invoice it states this under the payment options: Additionally, any payments made by credit card may be subject to a transaction fee depending on the card holders bank.

On your RCI invoice it states this under the payment options: Additionally, any payments made by credit card may be subject to a transaction fee depending on the card holders bank.

Agreed, it's also in their terms and conditions.

I believe at least a couple of the Australian majors charge this way, so there would be a fair number of people who book through RCL paying by credit card that would be affected.

If you book and pay on .com.au and pay on credit card you will be charged what you paid. IE if you paid $1000 then $1000 will appear on your card.

There is no hidden conversions or up charges!

It is no diferent to using you credit card at Woolie in Australia.

Raina

I beg to differ! My ANZ card charged me a 3% international funds transfer fee and foreign exchange fees because payment is given to RCI in USA Dollars even though I bought and paid for the cruise in AU dollars from RCI AU!

Very different to purchasing something at Woolies with a credit card.

Some credit cards do not charge the conversion into US Dollars 28degree is one and NAB another that i know about.

It has been mentioned before that this is a bank charge not an RCI charge but it is an RCI charge because RCI AU is paying RCI in US Dollars at the cruisers cost of exchange.

If you are charged an AU amount you should pay an AU amount not an off shore processing fee for US Dollars:(

Yes I get charged too!

I now have to top up my small limit 28 degree card with extra cash to be able to pay the entire amount in one and keep it bank fee free.

Agreed, it's also in their terms and conditions.

I believe at least a couple of the Australian majors charge this way, so there would be a fair number of people who book through RCL paying by credit card that would be affected.

But it is not a transaction fee? It is a foreign exchange fee! Totally different!

That's bizarre! Paying on the Rci australian site is NOT an overseas transaction. When I do buy something O/S or use my card O/S yes I do get a charge onteh separate line. But not when paying Rci.

R

Because RCI AU exists in Internet name only as does RCI UK!

All moneys are paid to RCI in USA Dollars no matter what currency you were charged for the cruise.

It is a profit maximising scam devised when USA cruisers were being given highly reduced cruise fares and sweetners in a depressed market.

Australia had no such depressed cruise market during the GFC so to stop Aussies getting cheap RCI cruises or deals from USA they made us purchase in AU through an Internet subsidiary of RCI. RCI AU:(

If I am in Singapore Vietnam Thailand or Cambodia I can use the RCI USA site but in Australia and UK you cannot.

Also T&C,s are different with USA RCI T&C,s being much better than RCI AU T&C,s regarding price drops and final payment periods.

Just to Add RCI charge Australians more for an apples for apples cruise than it does USA cruisers, this is to deal with possible currency fluctuations so RCI just ups the Australian cruise price from the start even if the exchange rate is highly in your favour as it was during the GFC.

SCAM

Edited by fishtaco

It is a hidden charge! If RCI AU pays RCI US it should be at "Their" transaction cost!

If you book through RCI AU and pay RCI AU in AU dollars (Which you must) then the purchaser is not making a foreign transaction? subsidiary companies are just transferring money to the parent company and nothing to do with the purchaser but the purchaser is paying company transaction fees for them.

This is why I say RCI AU exists in internet name only, it doesnt actually exist:)

It has been mentioned before that this is a bank charge not an RCI charge but it is an RCI charge because RCI AU is paying RCI in US Dollars at the cruisers cost of exchange.

No, nothing to do with RCI Aus paying in US dollars.

The charge is in Australian dollars only. The only issue is it is processed offshore.

But it is not a transaction fee? It is a foreign exchange fee! Totally different!

No, it's not a foreign exchange fee! It's a fee for the transaction, because the transaction was processed offshore.

There was no foreign exchange occurring, so it couldn't be a foreign exchange fee in any case!

Because RCI AU exists in Internet name only as does RCI UK!

All moneys are paid to RCI in USA Dollars no matter what currency you were charged for the cruise.

No, you're quite off track there.

RCI AU exists, and far more than just on internet.

And your money is not paid in US dollars - otherwise you would actually be charged a - much larger - foreign exchange fee, and see the charge in USD!

It is a hidden charge! If RCI AU pays RCI US it should be at "Their" transaction cost!

If you book through RCI AU and pay RCI AU in AU dollars (Which you must) then the purchaser is not making a foreign transaction? subsidiary companies are just transferring money to the parent company and nothing to do with the purchaser but the purchaser is paying company transaction fees for them.

This is why I say RCI AU exists in internet name only, it doesnt actually exist:)

You're not paying in US dollars, and therefore not paying a fee to "transfer money to the parent company."

The issue is they process the AUD transaction offshore. As simple as that. I've said before I'm not a fan of it, but it's the whole outsourcing concept where companies try to do things the cheapest way they can. And RCL is far from immune from that.

As said before, P&O Aus at least used to do the same thing as well i.e. process offshore.

You're not paying in US dollars, and therefore not paying a fee to "transfer money to the parent company."

The issue is they process the AUD transaction offshore. As simple as that. I've said before I'm not a fan of it, but it's the whole outsourcing concept where companies try to do things the cheapest way they can. And RCL is far from immune from that.

As said before, P&O Aus at least used to do the same thing as well i.e. process offshore.

Never ever happened to me with P&O? same credit card ANZ?

Never ever happened to me with P&O? same credit card ANZ?

We did a short cruise on P&O Jewel, on Australian waters only, and were charged 3% fee for the on board expenditure. I contacted P&O and after sending a copy of the ANZ Visa statement, they refunded the charge.

Same issue with Garmin Aust, Groupon Australia, etc. Calling ANZ you could get a refund.

It is something that should be made clear before purchase. :mad:

Irrespective of what you call it your $AU payment is possessed off shore in "Florida" into US Dollars and you pay for it! I have the CC statements to prove the $US amounts my AU was converted into "In Florida" which just happens to be RCI head office "Off shore" what a joke! lol money payments outsourced cheaper in "Florida" by the parent companies head office in "Florida" what a joke!

You accept it as the norm but I never will! I am a consumer and will continue to consume but the more people who learn the truth about internet scamming buy major companies the better they are to make a choice for themselves if it is right or wrong.

I dont see any of my other Australian CC purchases processed off shore at my cost? I am certain Australian companies would love to do this but they cant! RCI AU is not an Australian company and the reason they can get away with it!

Head sand Bury!

On the initial bank transfer I put down our RCCL Reservation ID number for the cruise (is that the same as a booking reference number?) and our names. I called when nothing showed up that we had paid and was told to show proof of payment which we did.Called again as we were asked to pay the remainder of our balance or our cruise will be cancelled.Was told to send again proof that we have paid which we did.

I have used this system of payment for many land holidays,domestic and overseas without problems but I'm wondering what my next step will be.

Elaine.

Hi Elaine, I hope you get it sorted soon, sounds like not the best experience!

I went in and made a payment today for my upcoming cruise and realised I do a couple of other things that I missed saying, so thought I'd add it to this thread in case anyone is interested, as I've never had an issue with doing payments this way. I add the Name/Booking reference number in the 'From' field, not just the 'description' field. This will always go to the bank, but the description doesn't. Also, my bank has a little check box asking if you want to send a copy of the receipt to the payee, and I do this. I'd forgotten this when I put the info in my previous post.

Cathy

Irrespective of what you call it your $AU payment is possessed off shore in "Florida" into US Dollars and you pay for it! I have the CC statements to prove the $US amounts my AU was converted into "In Florida" which just happens to be RCI head office "Off shore" what a joke! lol money payments outsourced cheaper in "Florida" by the parent companies head office in "Florida" what a joke!

You accept it as the norm but I never will! I am a consumer and will continue to consume but the more people who learn the truth about internet scamming buy major companies the better they are to make a choice for themselves if it is right or wrong.

I dont see any of my other Australian CC purchases processed off shore at my cost? I am certain Australian companies would love to do this but they cant! RCI AU is not an Australian company and the reason they can get away with it!

Head sand Bury!

Sounds like you're just trying to find things to rant about again! It's not what "I call it" but the reality.

As for others, RCI weren't the first... just go through these threads and you'll find complaints about P&O doing it before RCL did.

As for Australian companies, that's the point, they're Australian so there's less drive to do it than where there's a bigger overseas office. But where they're foreign owned, there's a drive to move things to their bases - just look at the car companies! If a company does most processing here, they're not going to move offshore unless it provides a benefit. A foreign owned company with more processing offshore though... different story. Nothing to do with "being able to get away with it" though. Same rules apply to both.

You might want to pull your head out of the sand though... not so great for your health.

Edited by The_Big_M

I personally blame my bank. They are the one that is charging me this fee. RCI are giving me an option to book my trip in AUD and pay it off knowing the AUD price, and my bank did not charge this fee a few years ago, but then they sent out new terms and conditions, and the new fee was in those conditions. It is not just cruising, it has cost me this fee for something else I have purchased outside cruising.

It sounds like different banks are showing different wordings and my advice would be that if you are unsure, give your bank a ring, sit on the phone for as long as it takes, and find out what fees they are charging you. Or download another copy of your terms and conditions of your credit card if you don't keep them filed away when you get them.

The main issue of this thread is really about the bank transfer not being credited to the booking. I hope it gets sorted out real soon.

Sounds like you're just trying to find things to rant about again! It's not what "I call it" but the reality.

As for others, RCI weren't the first... just go through these threads and you'll find complaints about P&O doing it before RCL did.

As for Australian companies, that's the point, they're Australian so there's less drive to do it than where there's a bigger overseas office. But where they're foreign owned, there's a drive to move things to their bases - just look at the car companies! If a company does most processing here, they're not going to move offshore unless it provides a benefit. A foreign owned company with more processing offshore though... different story. Nothing to do with "being able to get away with it" though. Same rules apply to both.

You might want to pull your head out of the sand though... not so great for your health.

What rubbish you talk! and everyone else can see it "Forever" on the internet lol USA car companies are now selling cars in AU Without an offshore money transaction being involved between seller and buyer, P&O charge onboard accounts and sundries with a processing fee because they are at sea and become Carnival P&O which is not Australian but there cruise fares do not require an off shore third party to prosses cruise fares paid in AU dollars!

RCI AU does not exist!

Head Sand Stay Forever lol Ever wondered why nobody else on AU CC backs you up on your views on this subject that has been debated on for close to 2 years now????? lol But i guess they all think you are correct, well you must be are you not????? lol

Re education helps:)