Queen Elizabeth Photo Review - Deck Tours - Menus - Drinks Lists - Programs

megacruiser

Enjoyed your review so far, thank you for taking the time. Boarding on Friday for 7 nights. We have what appears to be a space next to our inside cabin on deck 4 so hoping that we don't get the annoying noise you experienced. We sailed the same itinerary as we are doing on Friday in July but for 2 weeks and loved it all. Looking at your photos the entertainment team and dancers/singers are all the same so they must be getting ready for a break anytime soon. We are hoping that the same singer Paul will be in the queens room in the evening as we enjoy a twirl on the dance floor. Also hoping the young dance teachers are still on board but had a feeling they were having their break in October.mlook forward to reading more from you soon.

Thanks for commenting. I can confirm Paul Ritchie is still aboard and you will see him in my photos still to come.

Kind regards

megacruiser

Thank you for your post and looking forward to your updates. We will be on QE on Dec 5 for our third cruise aboard her.

Given that food is very subjective, my overall impression is that Celebrity's Main Dining Room is very similar to Cunard. I would not rate either experience as significantly better, although the wait staff on Celebrity are without a doubt more personable. The atmosphere in the Cunard MDR is better as we prefer a more formal setting and my habit is to always wear a jacket regardless of the evening code.

Would be interested in your reasons for rating Celebrity's MDR food as superior.

Great photos. Some tips would be appreciated.

Thanks for commenting and your question.

So true that food is very subjective and I am sure some will prefer the more traditional feel to the Cunard menu. In my experience Celebrity wins in a few areas. Most importantly the quality of beef and lamb. Soups and sauces also tend to be more flavoursome - better stocks maybe? I also find their menus a little more contemporary and imaginative in some dishes.

As you say the difference is not major but significant enough for me. I just feel it is important that folk who haven't tried other lines, who may feel that Cunard is a step above, ought to know how I feel they compare to others. Only my opinion of course...

Kind regards

megacruiser

Delighted to see you have returned back 'Home' ;) What a sensible idea.

Re; the Sushi , Available almost every other day across the fleet in the Lido & KC

Following :)

Thanks for clarifying the Sushi issue.

I am not quite sure that I have returned home, but I'm sure I'll be popping in for afternoon tea from time to time...:)

Kind regards

megacruiser

Great to see such good pictures of the QE, we're due on her in two weeks out of Athens. Great interior pictures, may I ask what camera you're using?

I mainly use a Fuji X100, which is a fixed lens camera with no zoom. It performs well in low light and I don't use flash. It takes a while to understand all the settings and I always focus manually. It's not a point and shoot camera but worth it if you have the patience and are willing to learn a little of the basics of old fashioned "manual photography". I also have a Nikon DX camera with a mid range zoom and a wide angle lens, but I don't like the bulk and carry it only when I know I'll need it.

Regards

megacruiser

Thanks to everyone who responded and your patience.

My plans for Thursday, my day off, were thwarted when I wasted hours removing a virus downloaded from an innocuous looking website that I used for testing my sister's download speed, prior to installing Netflix for her. Be wary if you ever need to do a Speedtest.

I spent most of yesterday going through photos: editing, resizing and uploading to Photobucket. I can't believe it takes so long to make so little progress, but I am determined the TV will remain off tonight until I get the next part posted.

Regards

megacruiser

The ship’s newly-acquired custom-made Sealy mattresses are firm but comfortable and aided a good night’s sleep. Past passengers can purchase these mattresses direct from Cunard’s website; they seem to be reasonably priced too... I actually prefer them over Oceania’s much-vaunted Italian mattresses, as they retain good support from edge-to-edge, rather than a tendency to sag at the sides.

Relaxation was to be the prime goal for today; with general over-indulgence coming in a close second place. Paradoxically perhaps, I had to first feel fully awake.

The shower has two obvious flaws. Firstly, shower curtains should surely be a no-no on any cruise line that purports to be upmarket? Secondly, although the water pressure is good, the shower head is in a fixed position. As an average-height man, it is positioned too low for my head to fit under without stooping. What I prefer is a hand-held shower attachment that slides up and down on a telescopic rail, making it infinitely adjustable to suit all; so much better for reaching those little nooks-and-crannies; and besides, those shower stalls are simply too small for performing handstands.:) Nevertheless, after a little writhing and contorting, job done...

Next, a caffeine-fix was called for. After my disappointment at Sir Samuel’s last year, I wasn’t yet ready to risk Cafe Carinthia for a proper espresso-based drink; so I headed up to the Lido and grabbed a builder’s-size mug of coffee. Characteristically it was pretty much what to expect from most ships’ no-extra-charge coffee: on the weak side; imbued with that less-than-fresh-brewed flavour; and a bitter aftertaste. An innocent-looking little jug of cream nestling beside the milk-dispensers came to the rescue, mollifying those harsh edges. The end result was far from a barista-masterpiece, but nevertheless served its purpose.

Final step; a blast of fresh air on Deck 10 to blow away any remaining cobwebs; a chance also to check out the weather and to assess whether deckchair hogging was likely to be an issue on this, the first sea-day. First impressions were very favourable. Even at 9am hardly anyone was on deck by the central pool, typically one of the most popular spots. In fact, I will comment about the whole cruise experience that there was no sense of crowding; reminded me a bit of the old days of cruising and a far cry from UK sailings aboard Ventura, Azura or Independence of the Seas - best described as a living-nightmare outdoors on a sunny day and just as bad indoors going through the Bay of Biscay.

DSCF2217-1_zps1443f30a.jpg

Deserted rear pool...

DSCF2198-2-1_zps4b341914.jpg

Very few folk on deck at 9am, as the sun starts to warm up...

DSCF2216-1_zpsab6649c4.jpg

DSCF3762-1_zps6bbd43f7.jpg

DSCF3764-1_zpsf8daffdc.jpg

It was time to try out the full English in the dining room; probably as good a version as I have had at sea and vastly superior to P&O when I last sailed with them. In particular the back bacon is good quality and free of that white residue (almost used the word “scum”, but that may have been totally misinterpreted). Likewise the sausage was pretty good and a step up the quality league. I am not a tea connoisseur but to my taste buds they make a nice pot of tea too...

DSCF2959-1_zpsdcb1a68c.jpg

When you look at the table setting above, what stands out most? The porcelain; the cutlery; the cruet set; the silver butter dish; the Wilkin and Sons preserves? No, it’s the unsightly crease in the middle of the place setting... Totally avoidable and sadly shows a lack of interest in maintaining standards. Any good section-headwaiter would nip that sort of complacency in the bud...

Melon Platter...

DSCF2961-2-1-2_zps9b6c2f1c.jpg

Very good Full English; but bacon a little underdone...

DSCF2962-1-2_zpsf1e7e27b.jpg

DSCF2255-1_zpsbf3f7538.jpg

DSCF2256-1_zpsbad10df3.jpg

Paté by any other name; but very well executed, quite a delicious plate...

DSCF2257-1_zps8595ade3.jpg

Fish curry, one of my favourites, and this one hit the spot...

DSCF2261-1_zpsd189c0a0.jpg

Close-up showing the Bhindi Bhaji; the main ingredient is okra. Truly slimy and vile... unless curried; in which case it is almost tolerable...

DSCF2259-1_zpsc2aa7a96.jpg

The Apple and Cinnamon sponge was rather dense and too dry; a dollop of rum and raisin ice cream helped a bit...

DSCF2264-1_zps7713adb8.jpg

At home, lunch would have been skipped after such a large breakfast but cruising is a time to over-indulge. So we headed to the Britannia Restaurant for waiter-service lunch; a dining experience rather than the grab-and-go atmosphere of the Lido buffet. One thing I really appreciate is that the Britannia Restaurant opens for lunch every day, not just on sea days. What a lovely meal. So relaxing and two of the three courses were really good.

All this eating meant one thing was unavoidable – an afternoon nap. After all it has to be slept off to make room for Afternoon Tea in the Queens Room... coming next time...

wonderful review. Hope to see your dinner and dessert photos to whet my appetite for my next cunard cruise!

Many thanks for your comment. Unfortunately there aren't many MDR Dinner photos. I can imagine how annoying it could be for fellow guests to have someone at the table glued to a camera, making adjustments to settings, changing angles and taking repeated photos with different focal points, so I have cut back.

I do cover part of Day 3 Dinner, which will be coming soon.

Kind regards

megacruiser

megacruiser, Thank you for your excellent review & photos. Without doubt one of the best and informative reviews that has ever been posted on this Cunard board.

It's a pleasure to read so far, and without any rude interruptions from miserable nit pickers.

Still following;

We are Cunard ! ;)

megacruiser, Thank you for your excellent review & photos. Without doubt one of the best and informative reviews that has ever been posted on this Cunard board.

It's a pleasure to read so far, and without any rude interruptions from miserable nit pickers.

Still following;

We are Cunard ! ;)

Thanks again Bell Boy. Yes, I have been on tenterhooks because of my Line Dancing photo in which faces of actual living people could actually be seen. Probably tempting fate now...

Cheers

megacruiser

Afternoon Tea is a special daily event on Cunard, and the Queens Room provides the ideal backdrop for the elegant, formal service by white-gloved waiters. The string quartet plays background music that adds to the feeling of timeless sophistication that permeates this splendid venue. I put on a jacket and tie but it was apparent I need not have bothered. Shame really; the thing about dressing up is that it enhances not just the wearer but also the surroundings and really adds to the sense of specialness of the occasion; just like formal night in the Britannia Restaurant.

This experience is not quite The Ritz; but then it is included in the cruise fare, not £50 ($80) per person; and it is an excellent and highly enjoyable experience nonetheless. The sandwiches are fine, if unexciting. The scones are good and the cakes just okay. Oceania’s food offerings at Afternoon Tea are better but the feeling of ceremony is largely absent. This is where Cunard leaves the competition standing. No other ship has a venue more suited for this purpose than the Queens Rooms with their double-height ceilings. Afternoon Tea and the themed-ball events are probably two of the most evocative occasions harking back to ocean-liner traditions dating back to the golden era of transatlantic crossings.

DSCF2269-Edit-1_zps516124fe.jpg

DSCF2269-1_zps0b5915de.jpg

DSCF2268-1_zps7d5aae4e.jpg

DSCF2266-1_zps20d47b96.jpg

DSCF2277-1_zpsf11024b3.jpg

Edited by megacruiser

Love your review, megacruiser. And, as an editor, I appreciate your thoughtful writing. Your photos are exquisite. Will follow your entire journey. Thank you for taking the time to write it for us.

Very kind of you to say so. I find on these photo reviews that sometimes the writing gets a little neglected in my eagerness to make progress.

Kind regards

megacruiser

Oops! I meant to post this before the Afternoon Tea...

Let’s take a quick look at some of what featured in the buffet this day, rather than in the dining room. Quite honestly, not much of interest... It remains a mystery to me why so many folk choose to eat at the Lido when a much superior dining experience awaits down below, especially on a sea day when there is no rush. Something I haven’t seen before is the special Baked Potato Oven...

DSCF2241-1_zps54857ab9.jpg

DSCF2244-2-1_zps064f2d57.jpg

DSCF2245-1_zps990de80f.jpg

DSCF2254-2-1_zps2509610e.jpg

DSCF2246-1_zps529c5356.jpg