Purchasing Snorkel gear on ship?

Oceanborn

My wife and I wanted to try snorkeling a bit on our own this cruise but didn't want to have to pack the extra gear for the trip there. From previous cruises I thought I remember seeing that Carnival sold Snorkel gear on ship? Any experiences with it? Cost, quality, etc etc. Thanks for any info!

They sell snorkels at the excursion desk for $5. Not the best in the world but nobody else has been sucking on them. That's all I've ever seen them sell on board. May be some additional gear available in the gift shop.

You might want to stop at Wal-Mart on the way to the port. You can probably get a pretty reasonably priced set of mask, fins and snorkel.

Edited by travler27

If you go on an excursion, equipment will be available there (free to use) next best thing: buy your own snorkel (eBay), or get mask & snorkel (eBay) Try sizes at sporting goods store for correct fit. We always cruise with 2 sets of fins, masks, and snorkels (and my weight belt)

They sell snorkels at the excursion desk for $5. Not the best in the world but nobody else has been sucking on them. That's all I've ever seen them sell on board. May be some additional gear available in the gift shop.

You might want to stop at Wal-Mart on the way to the port. You can probably get a pretty reasonably priced set of mask, fins and snorkel.

If you go on an excursion, equipment will be available there (free to use) next best thing: buy your own snorkel (eBay), or get mask & snorkel (eBay) Try sizes at sporting goods store for correct fit. We always cruise with 2 sets of fins, masks, and snorkels (and my weight belt)

Hmmm, all good info... Sounds like I'll have to do a little more research. Might just get something with good reviews on Amazon then.

The snorkels sold on the ship are perfectly acceptable and the price is right. I think any port with acceptable snorkeling will have dive shops or others who will rent snorkeling gear at reasonable prices if you don't want to lug gear around.

I snorkel enough to justify bringing my own gear.

Adding to this, I didn't see any snorkeling equipment for sale in the Fun Shops onboard Freedom last week. (If I were Carnival, I'd consider having a few mask/snorkel/fin sets available for $100, which is the customary twice the price anywhere else.)

I typically bring my own snorkeling gear -- the bottom of a drop-bottom rolling duffle bag works perfectly for this purpose, too.

I'm really glad I did so this past cruise, since the waves and wind at Grand Turk were both very strong due to Hurricane Gustavo, which was then a Category 3 and not all that far away. I was using an excellent dry-top snorkel from Promate and it was getting overtopped a LOT -- no problem! Those who rented gear from the shoreside rental hut ($10, pretty reasonable)....weren't so lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

The gear is very crappy on board. Do not waste your money.

I am a diver myself, so I tend to have my own fins/mask/snorkel.

But saying that, I have used the gear provided by the excursion company many times.

I tend to get off the ship though and find a dive shop and go that route.

For Cruise ship snorkeling, I have taken to wearing swim goggles. They work as well as my mask but take up a tiny amount of space. Couple with a snorkle that fits alongside in the suitcase, and you are set to go. If you need flippers or a Buoyancy Compensator, the excursion can usually provide those cheaply. (Never needed BC on a Caribbean Cruise, my built in spare tire makes me really buoyant. May have to change to a weight belt next time tho')

I purchased my own gear a few years ago (masks, snorkels, fins) and leave them at my family's house in Orlando. Makes it easier then lugging on airplanes. I also just recently purchased snorkel vests since I don't have a spare tire and have a tendency to sink... I am NOT a floater. I tried goggles just recently and found them not to work for me.. So, my mask is still the best.

And for defogging the mask, some baby shampoo and water mixture. Works GREAT.

The best advice I could give you is to visit your local dive shop, and try on some gear. Masks come in many sizes and shapes, and it is important to get one that fits well. Nothing can ruin a good snorkel trip like a leaking mask. Once you find one you like, then shop on ebay or whatever to see if you can get a better price than the shop will give you. Our local dive shop was able to provide a custom prescription mask for my wife that was not all that expensive, and works great for her. It is also nice to know you are the only one that has used your snorkel.:eek: Whatever you choose, I am sure you will enjoy snorkeling. It is a great way to enjoy the sea.:D

For Cruise ship snorkeling, I have taken to wearing swim goggles. They work as well as my mask but take up a tiny amount of space. Couple with a snorkle that fits alongside in the suitcase, and you are set to go. If you need flippers or a Buoyancy Compensator, the excursion can usually provide those cheaply. (Never needed BC on a Caribbean Cruise, my built in spare tire makes me really buoyant. May have to change to a weight belt next time tho')

I've never had any luck with wearing fins (or at least I prefer to go without them) so I simply pack a snorkel with either goggles or a mask. Very easy to transport and I always have a great time!