Booking a cruise

CruiseLover1996

I am taking my first carnival cruise over Xmas. I have gotten the impression that Carnival discourages people from booking with TA's and that it seems to be more advantageous to book directly with them, get a PVp, and try to take advantage of any and all price drops. Thus has not been my impression of the other cruiselines. Am I right? I would like to hear from others to see if I have gotten the wrong idea.

Definitely through the Carnival website. But I'll call up Carnival (my PVP is apparently MIA) and speak to whatever agent I can get to upgrade and what not...I don't do any of that online.

Still a bit new what is PVP? Also we have a Guarantee Inside should I call to see about an upgrade and how does upgrading work?

PVP is personal vacation planner. I book directly thru carnivals website. I'm a bit of a control freak. ;) carnival doesn't usually give free upgrades unless there is a price drop. Just keep watch and if your cruise price drops give them a call and see if they will do something. That's why some like a pvp, someone to call and hopefully help you out. If you book thru a TA then everything has to go thru them.

PVP is personal vacation planner. I book directly thru carnivals website. I'm a bit of a control freak. ;) carnival doesn't usually give free upgrades unless there is a price drop. Just keep watch and if your cruise price drops give them a call and see if they will do something. That's why some like a pvp, someone to call and hopefully help you out. If you book thru a TA then everything has to go thru them.

Thank you, we have guarantee inside and am a nervous wreck I have heard good and bad stories. Never did a G room....:eek:

I use a Personal Vacation Planner (PVP). I like her style, she is not pushy and understands my ways.

For first time cruisers I always recommend either a PVP or a Travel Agent (TA). There are so many categories of staterooms and so many price tiers. It can be very overwhelming. Additionally, since few people actually read their cruise contract, it is nice to have someone to answer questions along the way.

Please note that the person that answers the Carnival 1-800# is not a PVP. They are Customer Service Representatives (CSR). The quality and accuracy of information provided by CSR varies greatly .