Are we Holland America material??

chill6x6

Just my personal opinion, but I don't think the Veendam is reflective of the HAL fleet - at least I hope it isn't:eek: -S.

The Veendam is older and smaller than most of the ships in the HAL fleet. They all have the same basic look (on the inside), though the larger ships have more amenities.

Edited by cruisernewbieman

Looking/considering a Western Caribbean cruise aboard the Veendam. The itinerary looks great featuring Banana Coast and Santo Tomas de Castilla. I haven't seen this itinerary anywhere else, We are 52 and 31 years of age.. You can see what/where we've been over the last few years. Definitely would book at the very least a Veranda cabin.

How do you think we'd fit in? Have basically enjoyed EVERY cruise. If this were once of HA's newer/larger ships I don't think I'd even be asking this question..

Thanks!

IF you use a walker and/or a scooter, you will fit in just fine!

IF you use a walker and/or a scooter, you will fit in just fine!

So in other words I don't fit in, even though I've done many cruises on HAL:eek: I use neither. I don't think kind of comment helps anything, so I hope you were joking.

Edited by Lizzie68

So in other words I don't fit in, even though I've done many cruises on HAL:eek: I use neither. I don't think kind of comment helps anything, so I hope you were joking.

I was joking. Probably should of worded it better. Have never met anyone on a cruise that was not friendly or just plain rude. Have always had a great experience on any cruise line we have been on. Granted Holland caters to the older generation but we have met some really nice people on HAL and still keep in touch! Did not mean to offend anyone..

I was joking. Probably should of worded it better. Have never met anyone on a cruise that was not friendly or just plain rude. Have always had a great experience on any cruise line we have been on. Granted Holland caters to the older generation but we have met some really nice people on HAL and still keep in touch! Did not mean to offend anyone..

No offence taken, glad you clarified.:)

They have done numerous surveys and the passengers on princess average out to a year older than Holland. I think in the old days when HAL was a fancy smancy ship only older, richer people took her. Now it is much more mainstream and has all ages. Longer cruises skew older as retired people have more time to cruise.

we will be sailing on the Zuiderdam in july. we've booked the cruise because of the itinerary, so i hope we're HAL material! :-) we're 35 en 36 and not experienced cruisers, we've done just one cruise for our honeymoon. that was with MSC. The boat was OK, but the crew not very friendly (or competent), embarkation was difficult and the boat was very crowded.

I've spend serveral hours on this forum, and it seems that most people think the crew of HAL is very good, that's one thing that matters for us. And the entertainement, we'll have to see... we're not real party animals and there is just one sea day in our cruise, so we won't be spending a lot of time on the ship during the day, but I do hope there are some nice things to do/see in the evening. and otherwise I guess we'll be spending quite some time in the piano bar ...:)

Looking/considering a Western Caribbean cruise aboard the Veendam. The itinerary looks great featuring Banana Coast and Santo Tomas de Castilla. I haven't seen this itinerary anywhere else,

Oceania's ship Riviera does this itinerary. Different price point. New ship. 1 240 passenger capacity. No formal evenings. No hairy legs contests.

You're on a cruise, how can you have a bad time?

Compared to your other floats, you're going to find HAL a little on the tranquil side--both day and night. So if you're looking for some quiet dignity sorta time while on board, HAL will be just the ticket.

Now if you're looking for things to day say after 9.30 pm beyond scoring a DVD to watch, it'll be you and the crew cutting rug.

You won't have a bad time, just a more relaxed time than other lines.

The question is, does that fit your personality?

Of the 4 Hal cruise ships we took this is my least favorite, I like spending most days by a adult pool without screaming children, this ship does not have that, there is only 1 pool that was loaded with screaming children. Also like all the other Hal ships almost nothing to do after 11pm. But food was good and service was very good. Love the Pinnacle grill.

But the fact is that excursions are very, very slow paced ...

Ah, but on the other hand, if you take one of the more 'strenuous' excursions, you practically have it all to yourself. Mr_Deb and I did the Panama Canal on the Statendam a few years ago. Mountain biking tour? 10 people. Hike through the rain forest? 11 people. Bus ride to see the sights? 150 people. See what I mean :)?

Thanks everyone for some GREAT feedback! I'm seriously considering this cruise! I think it would be a little different than what I'm used to. The aft-facing balcony cabins on the Veendam look GREAT! Generally I like the pool area…yeah all the fun contests that go on there…but I'm game for something different. We are DEFINITELY more outside on the deck people than inside the ship.