Storage of insulin?

Hi

I know im not away on the anthem till next june but my grandmother is coming and she is diabetic and her insulin needs to be stored in a fridge - i know there is mini fridges in the room but my experience is that they are not too cool at all:rolleyes:

so can we request a cold fridge? or will be requesting a bucket of ice everynight?

thanks

Hi

I know im not away on the anthem till next june but my grandmother is coming and she is diabetic and her insulin needs to be stored in a fridge - i know there is mini fridges in the room but my experience is that they are not too cool at all:rolleyes:

so can we request a cold fridge? or will be requesting a bucket of ice everynight?

thanks

I would contact Special Needs at [noparse]special_needs@rccl.com[/noparse].

Hi

thanks

Many insulins do not need to be kept cold and can be room temp for 30 days. Check with pharmacist.

The recommendation that insulin must be kept refrigerated was so that users would immediately know where it was

You might want to read this from the American Diabetes Association.

http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/medication/insulin/insulin-storage-and-syringe-safety.html

I keep the two types of insulin I'm using at room temperature. No need to refrigerate on the ship, but use caution to keep insulin cool while on shore excursions. A ziplock bag filled with ice inside a lunch bag works well for shore excursions. It's a great place to store snacks in case blood sugar drops too.

Edited by Grannycb

I know there are people who have already mentioned the insulin being okay out of a fridge for up to 28 days ( I take Lanus and that's how long mine can be out) But I wanted to mention that you take either some juice boxes (small kids size ones work great) or something we call "fruit leather" You can bring those easier then juice but its great for a super fast sugar high.

If she is out in the sun or having to walk more then usual her sugars could drop quickly.

These fruit strips are very portable and will help her if she crashes.

Have fun!!!

My daughter uses Humalog which is a very common insulin. We get 3 months of insulin at a time and the supply is kept in the fridge. But the bottle she's actually using is not refrigerated during the 2 weeks or so it's being used. The only precaution needed with that bottle and the insulin in her pump is that it's not sujected to very hot temps for too long.

Bring an extra bottle of insulin and plenty of sets for the pump or syringes. I've been burned in the past when my daughter's diabetes kit was thrown away by somebody that wanted my table in the windjammer.

My daughter uses Humalog which is a very common insulin. We get 3 months of insulin at a time and the supply is kept in the fridge. But the bottle she's actually using is not refrigerated during the 2 weeks or so it's being used. The only precaution needed with that bottle and the insulin in her pump is that it's not sujected to very hot temps for too long.

Bring an extra bottle of insulin and plenty of sets for the pump or syringes. I've been burned in the past when my daughter's diabetes kit was thrown away by somebody that wanted my table in the windjammer.

My gran is on humalog but each cartridge only lasts her 2.5 days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi

thanks

My daughter is diabetic and uses both Lantis (which has to be refridgerated) and Novalog, (which does not need to be refridgerated.) We have asked for the "real" fridge to be brought in and we've also taken a very small cooler (about the size of a cigar box) which just takes a handful of ice everyday. Either way, we've never had a problem keeping it cold enough. :)

Bring extra. My DH accidentally dropped our granddaughter's glass bottle of insulin and it shattered. We were on land in a big city and it took a lot of phone calls to get more right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'd add to double what you think you'll need and then divide it between carry on bags. I had everything together and had it was stolen in Rome. I didn't realize everything was missing until the ship had sailed. Ever tried to find a meter and test strips in Egypt? Thank goodness our guide and the ship's medical center could help. Supplies were out of date and rationed, but something was better than nothing. My insulin was in my purse. Thank Goodness for that!

Edited by Grannycb