Luggage tags necessary? What docs MUST be printed for boarding?

The Mister

The background:

I originally booked an obstructed OV (OK), and just got an upgrade to a family balcony (B2). HOWEVER, I'm trying to keep it as a surprise for my wife as long as possible (hopefully she'll find out only after we actually board).

But of course, the luggage tags feature our (new) cabin number very prominently displayed, and for obvious reasons. Also, the other documents (notably the cruise ticket) also shows the cabin number, but at least that's not in such a large font.

So, the obvious question: What MUST we actually have printed out to show when we board? Are passports and kids' BC enough to prove who we say we are and get on? Can the luggage handlers print out tags when we drop them off? Can the boarding ticket be printed on-site?

Thanks.

Edited by The Mister

You need your edocs to enter the terminal

While having eDocs makes entry much easier, they are definitely not required to enter the terminal. Even completing the online checkin is not required and one can not even print their eDocs without doing that.

Having IDs is sufficient to enter the terminal, the staff will have the passenger manifest that they can check to grant access.

To OP, you could also carry the old eDocs and have the new ones also printed but hidden for example underneath the old ones and then present them to the checkin staff member.

Also, if you want to optimize to the extreme, you'd need only take the second page (titled Passenger Ticket) from the new eDocs, that is the only page they will take from you at the checkin -- IF you have the eDocs printed.

When we travel, we always have printouts of every hotel/car/flight reservation, boarding pass, eDocs, etc so that's easily 1/4" worth of paper - few extra pages would just blend in easily and unnoticed. :D

P.S. We never print the foldable tags either, as said by others, the porters will have tags and markers at hand when you arrive to the port.

Edited by Demonyte

I don't know how old your children are, but tell your wife no child has ever fallen over the balcony. Use common sense, don't let them out there alone, and the doors have a child safety lock pretty high up and are fairly heavy.