Ruby vs. Crown

Shmoo here

Grand Princess has some structural differences. No central staircase, no Skywalkers, no Adagio Lounge, and a few other differences. The Grand has the One5 Lounge on deck 15.

Given a choice, and this is just my own personal preference, I'd sail the Crown over the Grand if they were sailing the same itinerary.

Any decor difference between sister ships Ruby, Crown, and Emerald are minor (carpet color, etc). The layout and ambiance is the same.

The Grand is the first of the Grand Class ships and is older but went through a massive retrofit in 2011. I believe it was the biggest retrofit in Princess history. The Grand is about the same gross tonnage size of the Ruby, but carries 500 less passengers and is therefore significantly less crowded, which is the major advantage it has over the Ruby and her sisters. I prefer the Grand Class ships over the Ruby for that reason alone.

If the itinerary is a TA or a cruise where weather may not be the best, I'd be more likely to do the Grand. The centre pool onboard is covered so you can still swim or lounge by the pool if the weather isn't optimal for it.

The Grand does have Alfredo's, so as a total pizza junkie :o, she'd be my first choice but the Crown was our first ever cruise, so I have a soft spot in my heart for her. It would be a hard choice either way. Plus, the Sabatini's on the Crown is in a much better position up on deck 16 Aft with beautiful views off the back of the ship.

• 2 weeks later...
OK, but are they decorated the same? Or is the themeing onboard different?

Princess doesn't do "themeing" the way Carnival, for instance, does. Most Princess ships look the same in terms of decor. I haven't sailed the Crown (but will soon) so I can't speak to that, but I have been on the Ruby. I like the Ruby very much. I never felt crowded. Adagio bar is spectacular. I'm looking forward to the one on Crown.

OK, hubby and I are discussing taking a Princess cruise. Any thoughts on Ruby Princess vs. Crown Princess?

I know they are the same size (class?), but are the interiors (décor) different? If so, what's the difference?

Your question is Ruby Princess vs. Crown Princess.

They are sister ships and looked the same to me.

If you've been of one of them previously, you'll know exactly where everything is on the other. ;)

LuLu