PRIDE 8/7/05 Mexican Riviera cruise review

etluv2cruise

PRE-CRUISE

We started our vacation on Friday, because my daughter wants to attend the campus tour at University of California, Santa Barbara. She falls in love with the campus, UCSB has now replaced University of California, San Diego as her #1 choice for college. I personally still prefer UCSD, but ultimately it's her decision because she is the one attending. Anyway, we arrived at Long Beach on Friday evening, checked in to the Holiday Inn by the airport. The hotel is okay, easy access on/off the freeway, and the room is pretty roomy. Not bad for $79/nite with my Entertainment membership. We checked out of H.I. on Saturday morning.

When we booked the cruise in early January, we were just planning to arrive a day early, i.e., on Saturday, and had booked with Coast Long Beach for their 'Park & Sail" package. So, when my daughter made plan to attend the campus tour at Santa Barabara in June, Coast is all booked and can't accomodate us for our Friday nite stay. I'm glad that we kept our reservation at Coast, because my family really enjoyed their stay there. It is a neat place, walking distance to Queen Mary, and the free bus service that takes you over to Long Beach downtown stop outside of the hotel lobby. From the stop at downtown, it is only a short walk to "The Pike". We stop by to have lunch at a very cool restaurant called "Islands", both the food and services are great there - the decor makes you feel like you are in Hawaii. After lunch, it was another short walk to "Shoreline Village", with lots of little interesting shops. We walked around the waterfront area, and got to see the other side of Queen Mary and the White Dome, which will be the place for our cruise early check-in and embarkation the following morning. At 5:30 p.m. we took the last Aquabus (a ferry) from Shoreline Village, ($1 per person), which dropped us off at Queen Mary. There were various functions being held at Queen Mary that evening, we were able to walk into Queen Mary and did the self-guided tour without any charges. It was a very interesting experience.

My husband decided on walking back from Queen Mary to Coast Hotel, and take in the harbor scenery, while my son, daughter and I waited for the free bus shuttle service outside of Queen Mary. When we got back to Coast, my son and I went to hang out for a little while at the pool, which is right below our building, while my husband and daughter hang out at our room balcony enjoying the view. There are 4 building complex within the grounds of Coast Long Beach. Our room is at the top floor of bldg. 2, we love being on the top floor, instead of having a flat roof, we have vaulted ceiling, due to the architectural nature of the building. We ordered some food from the hotel restaurant and took them back to our room to eat, because we felt very comfortable there.

EMBARKATION

Our Sail & Sign package includes 2 free buffet breakfasts at the hotel restaurant. I have never been a big breakfast eater, and knowing that there will be unlimited availabilty of food on the cruise, I decided on just having coffee with bagel and cream cheese, while my son, being a typical teenage of not being a morning person, just wanted to have cereal with banana. So, it came out fine, my husband and daughter went to the buffet line, got some eggs, fruits, danishes, bacon, sausages, cereals and juices for their breakfast.

We had made arrangement on Saturday with the front desk for the 10:00 a.m. shuttle to the pier. After breakfast, we checked out of the hotel around 9:45 a.m., dropped our luggage outside of the hotel lobby entrance, park our car as instructed near the tennis courts area by building 4, and waited in front of the lobby for the shuttle. My parents, brother and sister's family, who drove down to Long Beach Sunday morning has arrived at the parking structure around 10:15 a.m., and was calling for our whereabouts. The hotel driver for some reason was busy with other matters that morning and did not get around to driving us until almost 10:30 a.m. But it was only a short drive to the pier, and we were there in no time. Our party of 11 all met, gave our luggages to the porters, tip them and said goodbyes to our luggages for the next few hours. There were Carnival personnel directing us to the direction of Queen Mary for early check-in. A very nice Asian Carnival gentleman, even told me that a nice buffet has been set up at the Lido deck of Pride awaiting our arrival. There were probably around 10 people ahead of us when we arrived at Queen Mary, among the 11 in our party, we had 3 cabins all on the Upper deck. We were done with early registration slightly after 11:00 a.m., and was assigned to Zone 1, so we all started walking towards the dome area. Vendors have their booth set up along the walkway there. Keep the Zone 1 slip given to you (1 slip or each cabin) with your Sail & Sign card and cruise documents. You'll need to show the Carnival rep at the door when you entered the dome. When we get to the dome area, there were still passengers from the previous week's cruise getting out of the terminal, and there are also people that have done their early check-in seating around the grass area in front of the dome. No formal lines have started yet. It was a nice sunny day, and people were just enjoying the beautiful surroundings.

I have called Carnival's Customer Relations line a week earlier and informed them that my dad who is in his late 80's could not stand and/or walk for too long of a period of time / far of a distance; but due to being stubborn, refused to use a cane or wheelchair, might required some preferential treatment during embarkation process. They faxed back to me a note allowing him to be classified as the "Special Needs" group. Margarita, the Carnival rep at Long Beach told my dad to wait by the area where the sign "Special Assistance" is located, which is next to the wedding parties and VIP lines, near the entrance of the dome.

At approximately 11:45 a.m., the carnival rep. started a line right by the Zone 2 sign, these are the people who have missed early check-in at Queen Mary. Shortly afterwards, we saw lines formed for the wedding parties and VIPs, as well as the "Special Needs" group. (I was under the impression that only 1 person other than the individual with Special Needs can embark under that classification, but my brother who is sharing the cabin with my parents was able to get on). When all these lines started to form, mysteriously, people started lining up for Zone 1, so our remaining party got up from our seats along the ledges, and got into line at that time. There might be around 30 people ahead of us. At approximately 12:15 p.m., the wedding parties/VIPs lines started to head into the dome, those line moved rather quickly, the "Special Needs" line followed shortly, this line move slower, we eventually saw movement from the beginning of Zone 1 line. YEAH! Once it started moving, it went rather quick, a Carnival personnel was at the dome entrance checking for the Zone 1 slip, the cruise doc, and each of our Sail & sign cards. The first checkpoint once inside, will be metal detector and x-ray inspection of our carry-on luggages. much like the airports. The next stop will be your embarkation photo spot. Once done, you will head up the escalator and head towards your next stop, where they scanned your "Sail & Sign" card and took a photo of you, so as to match your photo to your card. From this point onward, whenever you get off or get back on the ship at port, they will scan your card and your photo will pop up, it served as your identification card. Finally, you made it out of the dome on the other side, onto the gangway, one more stop by the ship photograher, they will take a picture of you with Pride as the backdrop. Don't put away your S & S card yet, at the end of the gangway, you need to show it one more time to a security staff. After that, you're finally boarding PRIDE, you will encounted two crew members standing on the exterior promenade passing out the pocket size deck plan of PRIDE, walk further down through the doorway, you will be stepping into the Atlantic deck, where a Carnival staff will be directing you towards the (left) aft of the ship to head up to Lido deck for lunch. It was pecisely 1:05 p.m., we passed by the bank of 3 atrium glass enclosed elevators, photo gallery, Raphael Lounge on our left and Raphael Room to our right, then there is another bank of 4 elevators, further down will be stairways. and finally the balcony level of Normandie Dining Room. My sister wanted to stop by the restaurant to speak with the Maitre'd, because her family of 4 was assigned to a different table (249) then the rest of us 7 (table 243), and I was curious as to where our tables are. However, the dining room is not opened. Throughout the entire cruise, I might have taken the elevator maybe once or at most twice, I used the staircases, as execises to burn off the extra consumption of food while cruising. Since my cabin is rather close to the rear stairwell, I decided to stop off at the upper level and see if my cabin is available (We were told that our cabins might not be available till 1:30 p.m.) We found our cabin door closed, and when opened it looked "ready". We decided to drop off our carry-ons before heading up to Lido deck. On our way out, I bumped into our cabin steward, Alwyn, and he told us it's okay to leave our luggage at the room. Whereas, my parents as well as my sister's room are not ready yet. We head up to Mermaid's Grille to have our first of many meals there.

I'm going to sleep now, will continue tomorrow with our 1st day experience on Pride.

So far, so good! Very detailed review. We'll be on the Pride 10/2 and are looking forward to hearing more.

Quick question....how was the security at the Coast parking lot?

I want to stay there but DH doesn't want to leave our vehicle in a "hotel parking lot out in the open" for a week. He thinks it would be better guarded at the pier....as if there's a high demand for mini-vans!

Thanks! I too look forward to more of your review. We are staying at the Coast on the same package but won't have a car; rate was better including breakfast and taxes. Is the Islands on the bay with marina views? What type of food did they serve?

Quick question....how was the security at the Coast parking lot?

I want to stay there but DH doesn't want to leave our vehicle in a "hotel parking lot out in the open" for a week. He thinks it would be better guarded at the pier....as if there's a high demand for mini-vans!

Hi bleuseas:

We had a mini-van also, and we felt that the parking lot, though is in an open area is rather safe. The hotel is located in a pretty secluded area - with very light traffic. There is only a restaurant "Reef" at the corner and Coast Hotel on that block. You should be okay there.

etluv2cruise

I am on the Pride in March 06. We are also staying at the Coast hotel for pre crusie.

Hi Slineberry:

You will like the Coast Hotel. It is such a cozy place, not mentioning that it is clsoe proximity to the Shoreline Village and The Pike, with lots of neat stores and eateries. It is also the closeout hotel to Carnival terminal at Long Beach, excluding its neighboring hotel Queen Mary.

etluv2cruise

Is the Islands on the bay with marina views? What type of food did they serve?

Hi Nanatravel:

The Islands is not on the bay with marina views. It is located in the Pine Ave. area just across the street from the Long Beach Convention Center. They serve American food, specializing in hamburger. My DH order a Hawaiian Burger, and he demolished it; DS order a Bacon Cheeseburger with a vanilla milkshake - He loves the juicy burger and thick creamy shake, my DD ordered the Fish Taco Plate, and she absolutely love it; and I had Salsa & Nacho with lemon ice tea, which is also great. The wait staff is very conscientious, they kept filling up my glass of ice tea. As you can tell that they have a pretty diversified menu.

If you wish to eat @ a restaurant with harbor view, you might want to consider the Parkers' Lighthouse or Yard House, which is located at the Shoreline Village.

etluv2cruise

We are booked at the Coast with a military rate $100 per night. We will be there 2 nights, March 10 $11. We are on the Pride on March 12. We won't have a car. We are planning on using the super shuttle from LAX to the hotel.

Hi slineberry528:

For $100/nite, do they include breakfast, gratuities and taxes, and is it for room with Bay view or Garden view?

etluv2cruise

What happened after chowing down at the Lido deck ???:)

Hi Wennfred:

Sorry, :o I accidentally started a new thread rather than continuing on with this one,:confused: and don't know how to merge them. So please refer to the heading of PRIDE (8/7/05 - 8/14/05) Mexican Riviera cruise review to continue on with my review.

etluv2cruise

Archived