Verizon on FOS

Trahlyta

I admit I am technically challenged so after talking to Verizon for a very long time and searching their website, I am still confused. If I only want to send and receive texts from my children who are sailing with me, all I need to do is turn off voice roaming and data roaming and I will not be charged anything extra except $.50 to send texts and $.05 to receive? And the same when we're in port? I am so afraid that I will come home to a huge bill.

Also-what is the catch with the $25/100MB for global data? It seems much cheaper than paying RCL for internet.

Thanks for your help.

You may have already used it, but the trip planner at http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/tripplanner/tripplannercontroller

should give you a feel for the costs in each port. I believe you have to keep "voice roaming" on as that is how texts work as well-just don't take or make phone calls.

Verizon was very helpful when if was wondering about this before our EOS cruise.

You may have already used it, but the trip planner at http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/tripplanner/tripplannercontroller

should give you a feel for the costs in each port. I believe you have to keep "voice roaming" on as that is how texts work as well-just don't take or make phone calls.

Verizon was very helpful when if was wondering about this before our EOS cruise.

I was about to post that same link, very easy planner to use, just pick both country and cruise ship and select your ports and ship.

Turn off data roaming or you will have a huge bill. If you want to use email, you could try to connect to free wifi in one of your ports. Really depends on how much you need to use email.

Thanks a lot for your quick replies! So if I understand right, I only need to turn off data roaming to avoid huge charges on my bill and need to leave on voice roaming to be able to text?

If you are talking about putting your phone into airplane mode, then no, you can't do that if you want to receive texts. Your phone will be able to make and receive phone calls and text. "Voice roaming" is not something I have ever seen as a function that can be turned off and on. On the ship you will be connected to cellular at sea and in port you will be roaming.

We have found it much easier to just use cabin voice mail and post it notes to communicate with family on the ship. Carrying phones can be a pain, especially for kids, if they are going swimming or rock climbing or ziplining etc. We have found they are too much of a liability especially for kids that can lose stuff easily.

Also-what is the catch with the $25/100MB for global data? It seems much cheaper than paying RCL for internet.

Thanks for your help.

It's not really a "catch", but 100MB can get used up rather quickly. I bought the plan the last 2 years. I found the connection onboard EOS painfully slow, so slow in fact that I didn't really get to do much because it was incessantly loading up what I wanted to do, like open fb. When I got home last year, I had used 101 MB & had to pay the additional $25 for the 2nd 100MB. I didn't buy the plan this year. I kept my phone on airplane mode, except in PR. use on that island is just as if you were on the mainland U.S... for phone, text, data... I don't believe that is true on U.S.V.I., but I could be wrong, but you should verify that with Verizon before you leave.

One other thing to be aware of .... while you're receiving texts from your kids, keep in mind that any other texts you or they are receiving from home will also get billed, whether you open them or not. So if their friends are texting them the whole time you're on your vacation, all of those texts will show up on your bill too. Might not be a big deal if they don't text much, but if they do (& then also reply to those texts) you could be in for lots of added charges. Something to consider.

R

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I admit I am technically challenged so after talking to Verizon for a very long time and searching their website, I am still confused. If I only want to send and receive texts from my children who are sailing with me, all I need to do is turn off voice roaming and data roaming and I will not be charged anything extra except $.50 to send texts and $.05 to receive? And the same when we're in port? I am so afraid that I will come home to a huge bill.

Thanks for your help.

Just put it on airplane mode and leave it in your safe

Just put it on airplane mode and leave it in your safe

I'll never understand why people insist on putting comments on a thread that do not answer the question of the OP, and in fact, are something completely opposite of what the OP was posting about. Kind of condescending.

I am following, as I would like to know the answer to the OP's question as well.

Thanks to the helpful answers out there.

I'll never understand why people insist on putting comments on a thread that do not answer the question of the OP, and in fact, are something completely opposite of what the OP was posting about. Kind of condescending.

I am following, as I would like to know the answer to the OP's question as well.

Thanks to the helpful answers out there.

Mickev, sorry my answer wasn't good enough for you. As for condescending, you have that wrapped up. I have Verizon. Too expensive for use at sea. Best bet is airplane mode til you find free wireless in port. Better, Mickev,??? :rolleyes:

Mickev, sorry my answer wasn't good enough for you. As for condescending, you have that wrapped up. I have Verizon. Too expensive for use at sea. Best bet is airplane mode til you find free wireless in port. Better, Mickev,??? :rolleyes:

Nope, since, again, that's not what the OP asked. They specifically asked how to use their phone for texting on the ship, not in port. Telling them to put it in their safe is condescending and rude, not to mention not even addressing the specific question of the OP. I was not condescending, I was simply stating a fact that some people have to make a comment that is neither helpful nor pleasant, and I don't understand it.

If you don't have anything helpful to add, or don't want to find out the same info the OP does (like I do, which is why I'm following the thread), then there's absolutely no reason to make a snide comment that is not helpful in the least. Bottom line.

Nope, since, again, that's not what the OP asked. They specifically asked how to use their phone for texting on the ship, not in port. Telling them to put it in their safe is condescending and rude, not to mention not even addressing the specific question of the OP. I was not condescending, I was simply stating a fact that some people have to make a comment that is neither helpful nor pleasant, and I don't understand it.

If you don't have anything helpful to add, or don't want to find out the same info the OP does (like I do, which is why I'm following the thread), then there's absolutely no reason to make a snide comment that is not helpful in the least. Bottom line.

Love thread trolls. You can text in airplane mode. Perhaps you weren't aware of it. Starting drama, not necessary. Since I just did this, I think my post was helpful. You don't text 24/7. Well, most people don't. Whatever. God Bless, have a great day..

Love thread trolls. You can text in airplane mode. Perhaps you weren't aware of it. Starting drama, not necessary. Since I just did this, I think my post was helpful. You don't text 24/7. Well, most people don't. Whatever. God Bless, have a great day..

How was telling OP to leave it in his/her safe helpful again? I would love to hear that explanation. Never once did you mention texting in airplane mode. Love when people can't handle getting called out so they resort to name calling and changing their story. Very helpful. Never started drama, just stated the truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums