OCD Planner's Mah-valous Mediterranean Adventure on Serenade of the Seas

ace1zoe2

Julia,

We really enjoyed the apartments. It was great to have room to spread out, hang out, enjoy time together yet have separate rooms. It also gives the option to do meals at the apartment if so desired. It puts you in the heart of the neighborhood you choice to be in to "live" and "eat" like a local.

And the best part, at least for us, we saved money over what separate hotel rooms would have cost each of us. I think we stayed 2 nights for what 1 night in a hotel would have been.

Cindy

I never really considered an apartment. I will keep that idea in my idea file!

I am hanging onto every word. I know it is a lot of work to do a review as I have done a few and yours truly is mah-velous! Keep it coming. The picture/script ratio is just right.:)

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

Raxter,

I'm not sure about that... we didn't actually go on the bridge as it is all jewelry & shopping from what I had read... and I'm not a shopper. Maybe someone else will comment if they know for sure.

Cindy

I had to read to the end (currently page 7) to check that this question hadn't been answered. I'm enjoying your review enormously - it's interesting to see Tuscany and Rome through other eyes and brings back happy memories of many holidays spent in this region - before we discovered cruising :-) Please continue posting photos!

Now, I can help here with some information here.

The upper level of the Ponte Vecchio is "The Vasari Corridor". In the 16th century The Medici family wanted a way to get from their "home" (the Pitti Palace) which is on the left hand side of the picture, to their office (or "Uffizi" - where the gallery is now housed). So, the architect Vasari was commissioned to find a solution and the walkway was built (in just 5 months!) - think of it as a commuter route, but just for one family! Your friendly search engine will provide more reading on the subject.

WT

it's so nice to rent apartments when there is a group, we did that in Venice when there were 7 of us, much nicer than 3 hotel rooms ;)

Could you post where you stayed in Venice and any good or bad about it?

Julia's Journey, could you answer this question since it was your group who rented in Venice.

Thanks!

I never really considered an apartment. I will keep that idea in my idea file!

I am hanging onto every word. I know it is a lot of work to do a review as I have done a few and yours truly is mah-velous! Keep it coming. The picture/script ratio is just right.:)

It's a great alternative to a hotel if you're staying 2 or more days, especially if you are traveling with others and can share the expense.

There are many different listing sources such as VRBO (vacation rentals by owners), Home Away, Latch Key, Agritourismo and more. All have pictures, pricing and reviews. Just be sure to read recent reviews and look at pictures posted by renters before reserving.

I had to read to the end (currently page 7) to check that this question hadn't been answered. I'm enjoying your review enormously - it's interesting to see Tuscany and Rome through other eyes and brings back happy memories of many holidays spent in this region - before we discovered cruising :-) Please continue posting photos!

Now, I can help here with some information here.

The upper level of the Ponte Vecchio is "The Vasari Corridor". In the 16th century The Medici family wanted a way to get from their "home" (the Pitti Palace) which is on the left hand side of the picture, to their office (or "Uffizi" - where the gallery is now housed). So, the architect Vasari was commissioned to find a solution and the walkway was built (in just 5 months!) - think of it as a commuter route, but just for one family! Your friendly search engine will provide more reading on the subject.

WT

Very interesting information, thanks for posting. When time permits I will have to read more about it.

I appreciate you taking time to read my report and to encourage me to go on. I hope you will continue to follow along and post comments if you have additional information or experiences.

Cindy

Since we had a larger group we decided to all split up for lunch since most of the dining places were smaller in size in the area where we were.

Our group (myself, hubby, my older daughter's inlaws - the outlaws Kerry & Sue, Aunt Deb & Uncle Karl) stopped at a nearby pizza place and had a slice of pizza with a drink for 4 euro each. It was pretty quick in and out and we sat outside on the sidewalk and people watched.

We all agreed to meet in front of the McDonald's near the metro stop closest to the Vatican area and take the trip together. Metro tickets were 1.50euro per trip. Since most of our time would be spent walking we only purchased tickets as needed.

Since it was the first time for mass transit for most our our group, in a foreign country, using a machine which we had to figure out it was quiet comical. Luckily our daughter & son-in-law have lived in and traveled extensively in Europe so they stepped up front to help everyone figure out what they were doing.

IMG_2941_zpse36aa812.jpg

Next was getting everyone thru the gates and onto the platform in time for the next train. That is our daughter, Taryn, on the far left, and son-in-law Paul in the middle helping make sure everyone got thru. After turning our tickets every which way but the right way, they got us all straightened out.

[69f410f0-aae9-4c5e-a63a-35eb6310149c_zps8188037e.jpg

Next it was on to the escalators. We had to remind everyone to stay to the right hand side of the escalators so that others who were in a hurry could run right past them on the left hand side.

IMG_2945_zps0426c4c5.jpg

Then we were finally on the platform... and this lovely train arrived... not what we were expecting (with all the graffiti)

IMG_2946_zps5c1681de.jpg

At least they were clean on the inside! We all took a space and held on for a quick trip to the Coloseum metro stop. That's pretty much half of our group there in the middle, with my 2nd cousin Darlene in the close up.

IMG_2944_zps2a4f505d.jpg

I think we had to go 6 stops to Termini (the central station at the center of the X) and then change lines to the B line for another 2 stops. The entire trip took about 20 minutes once we were on the first metro. We arrived at the Coloseum by 12:45 for our 1:15 tour. I went to the pre-purchased ticket booths, bypassing the extremely long line outside, and picked up our tickets within about 5 minutes. We then headed around the inside of the Coloseum to our assigned waiting area for our tour.

Up next: The Underground & Third Ring Tour of the Coloseum

I for one am not saying anything much because I am over awed by your trip.......there may be some questions, but it feels like talking in the middle of a movie or live show....Great job...........keep it all coming!

Well said!

We don't even have many ports in common and I am sailing on a different ship but I LOVE reading your review so I here I am!

Your meal in Viterbo had me drooling! What a wonderful lunch, I hope we stumble across something like this at one of our stops!

I want to thank you for sharing photos of Sant'Ignacio! Maybe a little unknown gem?

I can not wait to see what you do in Florence and Nice!

I for one am not saying anything much because I am over awed by your trip.......there may be some questions, but it feels like talking in the middle of a movie or live show....Great job...........keep it all coming!

Thanks so much for chiming in. You guys are keeping me motivated!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well said!

We don't even have many ports in common and I am sailing on a different ship but I LOVE reading your review so I here I am!

Your meal in Viterbo had me drooling! What a wonderful lunch, I hope we stumble across something like this at one of our stops!

I want to thank you for sharing photos of Sant'Ignacio! Maybe a little unknown gem?

I can not wait to see what you do in Florence and Nice!

Thanks again for following along. We had a short afternoon in Florence and the commentary and pictures are posted early in the thread. We actually went there the first afternoon we arrived in Italy.

We also had a great meal there but I forgot to take pics. Wish we would have had more time but there were too many great places I wanted to at least get a peek of.

Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really appreciate your posting of pictures. Those trompe l'oeil paintings were fantastic. Actually looked like a piece of cameo jewelry....

They were fantastic... I think I took around 100 or pictures just at the Vatican. I believe if you click on one of the picture it will take you to my Photobucket where you can browse thru lots of great examples of the treasures there.

Cindy

I'm just taking it all in and loving the photos!!

Thanks you so much for commenting!

I participated in a focus group this evening for a couple of my older (2nd) cousins who are attorneys getting a wrongful death suite ready for trial. It was very interesting but it was 3 hours long and an hour drive each way from home... that cut in to my trip report time for tonight...

So hopefully tomorrow at lunch I can get the Coloseum pictures posted.

Cindy

We do expect you to continue your life, LOL! We will be waiting (kind of) patiently for the next installment.:)

NO!! Never mind living your life - GET POSTING!!! MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Loving this! thank you so much!!

So much pressure!

Live? Write? Post? Sleep?

In what order ;)

I'm back at it today on my lunch break and hopefully more after dinner tonight. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alrighty then! As promised, I am back during my lunch break to bring you the much anticipated next installment.

When we left off yesterday, we had checked in and were holding in the waiting area for our tour director. The tour ended up being around 20 people with 12 of them being from our family & friends group.

My first glimpse:

IMG_2948_zpsf275055b.jpg

We entered thru a gated area that was restricted to only the Underground Tours. After going thru the first gate we entered the arena thru an archway. You could almost imagine what it might have felt like centuries ago entering here with the crowds cheering on the gladiators:

IMG_2953_zps7206e9bb.jpg

IMG_2954_zps15dda5b2.jpg

Once on the main ring we stood on a platform area to get a view of the interior. The platform overlooked the "underground" rooms/cells, tunnels, etc. where the animals would have been kept. It was on the same level that the original sparring field was on. From here you could envision the seating stands

IMG_2958_zpsd9fff5fc.jpg

IMG_2955_zpsfec85ba3.jpg

Entering thru the underground tunnels:

IMG_2974_zps492a2c52.jpg

Down below the cages/cells were at eye level and it was easier to see how small they actually were. There appeared to be 100's of these areas to keep animals of all shapes and sizes. All of what is depicted here would have been covered with the floor to the arena which was made of wood. It had been covered and soaked in blood from the animals and Gladiators.

IMG_2975_zps989f60a9.jpg

Some of the original brick floor which had been concreted over at some time:

IMG_2976_zpsb49a26b1.jpg

One of the holding areas:

IMG_2977_zpsfbb6c0be.jpg

One of the aqueducts passes below the open area in the picture. They still provide water to this day.

IMG_2981_zpse0239e7f.jpg

Looking from one end of the Coloseum to the other:

IMG_2982_zps785e989d.jpg

IMG_2984_zpscb0c08a8.jpg

Restoration work happening on the third ring:

IMG_2992_zps12a301e4.jpg

Awesome views on the third ring:

IMG_3000_zpsb5bbe059.jpg

This shot shows the platform on the far end where we originally entered and began our tour:

IMG_3002_zps88bf4777.jpg

Did you notice in the last picture how small the people are? That thing is huge! I am still in awe every time I think about how old these historical sites are. Some of them were built before Christ and are still standing today! AMAZING.

Close ups of the Arch of Constantine:

IMG_2993_zps7bdcfd25.jpg

IMG_3011_zpsfce152ee.jpg

The Arch of Titus was built in 82AD! The first panel represents the spoils taken from the Temple on Jerusalem:

IMG_3019_zpsc9967b73.jpg

The next panel shows Titus as the Triamphator with Winged Victory crowning him with a Laurel wreath:

IMG_3018_zps466e5063.jpg

Close up details of the coffered ceiling underneath the archway:

IMG_3020_zpsdf8edb31.jpg

The Arch of Titus:

IMG_3016_zps93cf7b26.jpg

The Roman Forums are expansive and there is a lot to see. Since we were close by we chose to go ahead and do them and Palentine Hill right after we finished up at the Coloseum. I had downloaded Rick Steves' Audio Europe app for free and had the audio guide available to do the entire forum... but I got caught up in taking pictures and just enjoying strolling along. I had listened to the entire audio guide sitting at my desk at work months before so I had a general idea of what I was looking at as I went along.

Next I am just going to post various pictures that I took with out narration. There is plenty of information online and on the apps that you can get a full description of everything I saw.

IMG_3023_zps1c5fe1f8.jpg

IMG_3024_zps76fad315.jpg

IMG_3025_zpscfc9d522.jpg

IMG_3026_zpsb0a5167e.jpg