Must-do's in Tokyo?

lovely_serenity

Hi! :)

I'm going to be spending a few days (4 full days) in Tokyo on the week of Christmas! What are some tips, and perhaps suggestions of what I should not miss? It's my first time going there (I'm travelling with family) so I'd like to get as much done in those few days as possible!

Thanks! ^^

Edited by lovely_serenity

MY must see every time I go to Tokyo: The Tsukiji fish market and the surrounding food markets. Tsukiji is the largest wholesale fish market in the world and the rest of the food market is only surpassed in size by Hunt's Point in NYC. It is simply fascinating to me to see those huge tuna go up for auction and the fighting over price (albeit in very quiet Japanese fashion-this is NOT NYC where a lot of screaming goes on at the auctions). Who knows-the day you are there may be a day a world record tuna is sold. World record is over a million dollars for a 488 pound fish-$3600 per pound. Now that is some EXPENSIVE sushi.

This is NOT your average tourist trip. You must be up and at the market by no later than 4:30. They only allow 100-120 visitors into the auctions and it is truly first come, first served.

But if you likes sushi and other Japanese foods, there is nothing fresher than sushi in Tsukiji. Right off the boat. And totally fascinating to see the global food chain at work.

One helpful hint-you can buy a Japan rail pass which is good on everything EXCEPT the highest speed EXPRESS trains. Saves a LOT of money over buying train trips piecemeal or taking tours that include rail. You can always hire a guide when you get to your destination. BUT you must buy it BEFORE you enter Japan. VERY easy to exchange your voucher for the rail pass right at the airport. http://www.japanrailpass.net/. Good on buses, most subways and the Narita Express, which gets you from the airport to downtown Tokyo. That trip alone is worth the price of the rail pass-airport transit is VERY expensive if purchased separately.

Enjoy!!!

A lot will depend on your interests: Museums, gardens, shrines, historical sites, viewpoints, street scenes nightlife, etc. Whatever you do it will be a lot of fun.

A place to start is the very good Japan-Guide:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2164.html

By the way, the only way a 7-Day rail pass will pay off is if you take the Shinkansen bullet train at least from Tokyo-Kyoto round-trip. Otherwise, just buy a Suica card for local transportation.

The Japan-Guide website gives several options for airport transport depending on what part of the city you are staying. For example one of the cheapest/fastest way to Ueno area is Keisi Skyliner for about $24US. Other areas you may prefer the Narita Express direct to Tokyo Station for less than $15 US using a foreign passport to buy the ticket at Narita.

Tom

We returned home from Japan just over three weeks ago and loved Tokyo. We bought a Suica card and just topped it up when we were running low. We visited the very beautiful city of Nikko which we loved. We took a local train and spent the day there. If you have more time, then an overnight stop would be ideal.

We also loved seeing the Meji Shrine which is set in a wonderful forest, the Shibuya Crossing (which is the world's busiest intersection, the basement of one of the Department Stores around Shibuya Station with all its wonderful displays of fresh food, the view from the top of the Metropolitan Government Building which is free and visiting Koishikawa Korakuen Gardens. We loved using the trains and found it very easy to get around Tokyo. We just wished we had more time in that interesting city.

Jennie

Asakusa Shrine is one of our favorites. It's close to the metro station of the same name, and there are a lot of traditional craft stores near the shrine. It's like going back in time while munching on tasty rice cakes (you can buy in the stalls leading to the shrine).

Visiting any of the large depato (department stores) is a fantastic experience (not talking about shopping because there's a lot of non-Japanese merchandise on sale that's subject to stiff import taxes and thus very expensive):

-- If you are there when Mitsoukoshi (in Ginza) opens in the morning, you'll be treated to the daily store opening ceremony (several of the employees come out of the main entrance, do a speech about welcoming the customers, and then as you enter the store, all of the employees are lined up in their respective counters/areas from which they greet you by bowing).

-- If you're there when the depatos are about to close, go to the basement food level (get there in time so you can see the wonderful produce, prepared foods, food boutiques from the fanciest european stores, etc.) because most meals-to-go are half off and there's a frenzy to sell them before the stores close.

-- You can find reasonably priced souvenirs at the depatos, experience fantastic customer service (even if there is a language barrier) and get the most elegantly wrapped gifts ever.

-- If you like crafts or DIY projects, go to one of the Tokyo Hands stores. The one in Shibuya, for example, it's a seven-story home project extravanganza, like combining Michael's with Home Depot, and putting everything (plus crafts you did not know existed) in a tall narrow building.

-- Candy! A stop at 7/11, Lawson's or any food store is a thrill. Even if you don't like KitKats, how can you resist the seasonal special flavors? A custard with eyes, hands and feet inviting you to buy a bag of marshmallows filled with custard pieces? Can you say no to Hello Kitty dressed up like Santa?

Another vote for Meiji Shrine. It's such a peaceful spot in the middle of Tokyo. It's close to Hajakuru, where all the cool teenagers wear the trendiest clothes. Kind of parallel to Hajakuru is Omotesando Street, where the pricey stores are located (but where you won't feel like an uncool old person even if you're just 26). Oriental Trading is on Omotesando. Although we avoided that store in previous trips because it's in all the guidebooks as the place where you can get authentic Japanese items and souvenirs, my sister was in Tokyo last week and says that, yes, the item selection is very good and the prices are excellent.

We have taken the standard tourist day trips to Nikko (in addition to the shrine and lunch, you're taken to see the "National Geographic" monkeys, the ones with white hair immersed in hot springs) and to Mount Fuji (Number 1 Mountain!). While I prefer to do things on my own, both day trips ended up being good ideas because we could take a break for very intense Tokyo sightseeing, a break for our minds and our feet.

Re Kyoto, if you only have four days in Tokyo, I would stay in the capital and perhaps do one of the day trips to Nikko or Mount Fuji. So many things to do in Tokyo. After visiting Asakusa and Meiji (and the Imperial Palace's gardens and Ueno Park), you'll have an idea re the wonderful shrines and temples you'll find in Kyoto, Nara and elsewhere on your next trip to Japan.

The metro is fantastic. Traffic can be awful, so take one of the express trains (very comfortable Keisei to Ueno, or the train to Tokyo Station) from the airport. The buses to the hotels are convenient, but get snarled in traffic and it could take a couple of hours for you to get to the hotel.

I could go on and on, but what I most love about Tokyo is the people. If you are lost, just ask someone. There will likely be a language barrier (one can learn how to read and write English at school, but one might not have had a lot of practice speaking it), but you'll be helped. The person will either tell you (or point) where to go; take you to one of the police stations (one in almost every block, it seems, which helps because street numbering is not consecutive but depends on when buildings were built) for help; or ask you to follow him/her. Yes, we have followed strangers in Tokyo for blocks and blocks, something we would not do at home. At our destination, we have said lots of "arigatos" and even bowed to our helpers who took time to go out of their way to help us. Smiles all around!

Enjoy your four days in Tokyo! We'll be there on our way to Singapore in three weeks -- can't hardly wait!

MY must see every time I go to Tokyo: The Tsukiji fish market and the surrounding food markets. Tsukiji is the largest wholesale fish market in the world and the rest of the food market is only surpassed in size by Hunt's Point in NYC. It is simply fascinating to me to see those huge tuna go up for auction and the fighting over price (albeit in very quiet Japanese fashion-this is NOT NYC where a lot of screaming goes on at the auctions). Who knows-the day you are there may be a day a world record tuna is sold. World record is over a million dollars for a 488 pound fish-$3600 per pound. Now that is some EXPENSIVE sushi.

This is NOT your average tourist trip. You must be up and at the market by no later than 4:30. They only allow 100-120 visitors into the auctions and it is truly first come, first served.

But if you likes sushi and other Japanese foods, there is nothing fresher than sushi in Tsukiji. Right off the boat. And totally fascinating to see the global food chain at work.

One helpful hint-you can buy a Japan rail pass which is good on everything EXCEPT the highest speed EXPRESS trains. Saves a LOT of money over buying train trips piecemeal or taking tours that include rail. You can always hire a guide when you get to your destination. BUT you must buy it BEFORE you enter Japan. VERY easy to exchange your voucher for the rail pass right at the airport. http://www.japanrailpass.net/. Good on buses, most subways and the Narita Express, which gets you from the airport to downtown Tokyo. That trip alone is worth the price of the rail pass-airport transit is VERY expensive if purchased separately.

Enjoy!!!

Thank you for such a long response! :) My parents have actually been to Tokyo once before, and have visited the Tsukiji fish market! They thought it was very interesting, but they also said it was kind of dangerous the way these cars/forklift-things zoomed around people. o_o" They were very worried they would get ran over! They have however, mentioned how fascinating the tuna auctions were (:

Thank you for the suggestions regarding transit too! (: (We'll probably just be staying in Tokyo, though, since we only have 4 days)

A lot will depend on your interests: Museums, gardens, shrines, historical sites, viewpoints, street scenes nightlife, etc. Whatever you do it will be a lot of fun.

A place to start is the very good Japan-Guide:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2164.html

By the way, the only way a 7-Day rail pass will pay off is if you take the Shinkansen bullet train at least from Tokyo-Kyoto round-trip. Otherwise, just buy a Suica card for local transportation.

The Japan-Guide website gives several options for airport transport depending on what part of the city you are staying. For example one of the cheapest/fastest way to Ueno area is Keisi Skyliner for about $24US. Other areas you may prefer the Narita Express direct to Tokyo Station for less than $15 US using a foreign passport to buy the ticket at Narita.

Tom

Thanks for the link! (we're more into shopping, food, shrines, the must-see tourist attractions) && Ohh I see, okay, thanks! I will take note of these transit tips too!

We returned home from Japan just over three weeks ago and loved Tokyo. We bought a Suica card and just topped it up when we were running low. We visited the very beautiful city of Nikko which we loved. We took a local train and spent the day there. If you have more time, then an overnight stop would be ideal.

We also loved seeing the Meji Shrine which is set in a wonderful forest, the Shibuya Crossing (which is the world's busiest intersection, the basement of one of the Department Stores around Shibuya Station with all its wonderful displays of fresh food, the view from the top of the Metropolitan Government Building which is free and visiting Koishikawa Korakuen Gardens. We loved using the trains and found it very easy to get around Tokyo. We just wished we had more time in that interesting city.

Jennie

Wow, that's sounds amazing!

I've actually put Meiji Shrine and Shibuya Crossing onto my list, as well as the Shibuya area in general! ^^

I have a question, as a female, did you ever feel unsafe in the subways/metros/trains? Because I've read about some safety tips, and all of including something or another about getting groped or touched inappropriately by strangers while it's very crowded. I know there are women-only cars, but it is unlikely that we will be using it, as our group will be including my father and brother. I'm sure there isn't an incredibly high chance of people in groups being victimized, but it's still a concern, you know? (just hoping for a confidence booster here ^^")

The Japanese are such polite people, I doubt if they would ever dare touch you. We were on crowded trains where the men in uniform with white gloves have to push you in but at no time did I ever feel threatened. In fact, I believe that Japan and Singapore are the two safest countries in this world to visit.

Jennie

Asakusa Shrine is one of our favorites. It's close to the metro station of the same name, and there are a lot of traditional craft stores near the shrine. It's like going back in time while munching on tasty rice cakes (you can buy in the stalls leading to the shrine).

Visiting any of the large depato (department stores) is a fantastic experience (not talking about shopping because there's a lot of non-Japanese merchandise on sale that's subject to stiff import taxes and thus very expensive):

-- If you are there when Mitsoukoshi (in Ginza) opens in the morning, you'll be treated to the daily store opening ceremony (several of the employees come out of the main entrance, do a speech about welcoming the customers, and then as you enter the store, all of the employees are lined up in their respective counters/areas from which they greet you by bowing).

-- If you're there when the depatos are about to close, go to the basement food level (get there in time so you can see the wonderful produce, prepared foods, food boutiques from the fanciest european stores, etc.) because most meals-to-go are half off and there's a frenzy to sell them before the stores close.

-- You can find reasonably priced souvenirs at the depatos, experience fantastic customer service (even if there is a language barrier) and get the most elegantly wrapped gifts ever.

-- If you like crafts or DIY projects, go to one of the Tokyo Hands stores. The one in Shibuya, for example, it's a seven-story home project extravanganza, like combining Michael's with Home Depot, and putting everything (plus crafts you did not know existed) in a tall narrow building.

-- Candy! A stop at 7/11, Lawson's or any food store is a thrill. Even if you don't like KitKats, how can you resist the seasonal special flavors? A custard with eyes, hands and feet inviting you to buy a bag of marshmallows filled with custard pieces? Can you say no to Hello Kitty dressed up like Santa?

Another vote for Meiji Shrine. It's such a peaceful spot in the middle of Tokyo. It's close to Hajakuru, where all the cool teenagers wear the trendiest clothes. Kind of parallel to Hajakuru is Omotesando Street, where the pricey stores are located (but where you won't feel like an uncool old person even if you're just 26). Oriental Trading is on Omotesando. Although we avoided that store in previous trips because it's in all the guidebooks as the place where you can get authentic Japanese items and souvenirs, my sister was in Tokyo last week and says that, yes, the item selection is very good and the prices are excellent.

We have taken the standard tourist day trips to Nikko (in addition to the shrine and lunch, you're taken to see the "National Geographic" monkeys, the ones with white hair immersed in hot springs) and to Mount Fuji (Number 1 Mountain!). While I prefer to do things on my own, both day trips ended up being good ideas because we could take a break for very intense Tokyo sightseeing, a break for our minds and our feet.

Re Kyoto, if you only have four days in Tokyo, I would stay in the capital and perhaps do one of the day trips to Nikko or Mount Fuji. So many things to do in Tokyo. After visiting Asakusa and Meiji (and the Imperial Palace's gardens and Ueno Park), you'll have an idea re the wonderful shrines and temples you'll find in Kyoto, Nara and elsewhere on your next trip to Japan.

The metro is fantastic. Traffic can be awful, so take one of the express trains (very comfortable Keisei to Ueno, or the train to Tokyo Station) from the airport. The buses to the hotels are convenient, but get snarled in traffic and it could take a couple of hours for you to get to the hotel.

I could go on and on, but what I most love about Tokyo is the people. If you are lost, just ask someone. There will likely be a language barrier (one can learn how to read and write English at school, but one might not have had a lot of practice speaking it), but you'll be helped. The person will either tell you (or point) where to go; take you to one of the police stations (one in almost every block, it seems, which helps because street numbering is not consecutive but depends on when buildings were built) for help; or ask you to follow him/her. Yes, we have followed strangers in Tokyo for blocks and blocks, something we would not do at home. At our destination, we have said lots of "arigatos" and even bowed to our helpers who took time to go out of their way to help us. Smiles all around!

Enjoy your four days in Tokyo! We'll be there on our way to Singapore in three weeks -- can't hardly wait!

Wow! Thank you for such an amazing and thoughtful post! I will definitely take on many of your suggestions! && We are indeed going to stay within Tokyo the whole time. Also, we are going to visit Tokyo Disneyland! :) It will be either on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, so I'm really looking forward to that! (Brb I'm gonna go take notes on what you wrote LOL)

The Japanese are such polite people, I doubt if they would ever dare touch you. We were on crowded trains where the men in uniform with white gloves have to push you in but at no time did I ever feel threatened. In fact, I believe that Japan and Singapore are the two safest countries in this world to visit.

Jennie

Ohh, that's good. Thank you! & Was the squishing into the train very sardines-in-a-can-like? :D

Ohh, that's good. Thank you! & Was the squishing into the train very sardines-in-a-can-like? :D

Yes it was but then that is the fun of travel. You have new experiences every day and it is something that doesn't happen here at home.

Have a great trip. We loved our time in Tokyo and Japan and would love to again return one day.

Jennie