Hilo shuttle from port

Blamar

The last time we did a Hawaii cruise I was really amazed at how long the line ups were for the shuttle. And the shuttle just goes to Hilo Hatties and Wal-Mart in a part of Hilo that looks like anyplace USA. I was just planning our winter trip to the Big Island and came across this bit of information in the Hilo Farmer's Market web page. The Farmer's Market has a shuttle that will take you from the ship to the historic downtown market. Now I haven't done this - so if you have I would appreciate your opinion. Here is their web page, the only downside I can see is that you have to email them to let you know they are coming. http://www.hilofarmersmarket.com/frshfrcrsh.html

I'm not familiar with that shuttle ... but there's so much of interest to do beyond what you can access by free shuttle ... or maybe you've already explored some of those areas? When you mention "anyplace U.S.A." I agree, and VNP, the Botanical Gardens and/or Akaka Falls would be so much more enjoyable than downtown Hilo.

The Farmers Market is across from the tourism office right on the waterfront. So if you're talking about going away from the area, maybe you should look up where you want to go and get a taxi. We actually went to the Farmers Market a couple of cruises ago -- and if you're a hardy person, you can actually walk to it --but again, it's part of the waterfront. Probably the reason you would need to email them is that (I think) they're not open every day. They sell some crafts and fruits (unless you get specially packed ones, you would have to consume these before you return to California).

You can catch the county bus across the street from the pier at the Keaukaha Market. The cost is $2 per person and it will take you to the bus terminal which is located across from the Farmers Market. Be aware that the bus doesn't run on Sundays and Holidays. You may check out the bus schedule at http://www.heleonbus.org/schedules-and-maps (The route you need to click on is the "Intra Hilo Keaukaha"

There is also the Hoppa On Hoppa Off bus that is based at the cruise pier. You can purchase an all day pass for about $15. It makes stops at various points of interest around town and is highly recommended on TripAdvisor. I have not done this personally, but I have seen the buses around town and it looks like fun. I know some of the stops are at waterfalls, beaches and the historic downtown Hilo area.