Before I go: movies and books

bethohio3

We've booked a cruise tour (Star Princess) in September 2015 along with (so far) 15 other friends.

Before our last cruise (UK), we watched several movies and I read several books (historical novels and one history) set in some of the areas we were visiting. When I actually got to Normandy, or Guernsey or Stonehenge or Dublin, it really came more alive for me and I think I got more out of the experience because of the books and movies.

So, what do people recommend for reading and watching before a trip to Alaska?

Thanks!

Of course there are plenty of documentary movies or travel movies, as well as the ongoing and tedious recounting of the Kilcher family's life on the last frontier, filmed in HD and relentlessly moving from one "crisis" to the next. A quick hunt on Netflix reveals numerous such, as well as Amazon instant video.

Do a quick search on this board for threads about books - I know there's a recent one.

For movies with actors etc., the one that I'd strongly suggest (and you'll have to buy it for $25) is called "Spirit of the Wind," the story of the great musher George Attla. You can buy it from the Fur Rendezvous people in Anchorage - https://rondy-shop.myshopify.com/products/spirit-of-the-wind-dvd

It was done in the 1980s, but the story is very moving, and, while not filmed entirely in Alaska, it tells a very convincing story about Attla's life and gives a real perspective on the Alaska of pre- and early post-Statehood days. Highly recommended.

For a historical take on Alaska there are several books. “On The White Pass Pay-Roll” by Graves tells about the building of the WPYR from Skagway.

One of my favorites is “Where the Sea Breaks Its Back” by Ford The Russian expedition to Alaska with Vitus Bearing and naturalist Georg Steller. Also “Steller’s Island” by Littlepage.

For a historical take on Alaska there are several books. “On The White Pass Pay-Roll” by Graves tells about the building of the WPYR from Skagway.

One of my favorites is “Where the Sea Breaks Its Back” by Ford The Russian expedition to Alaska with Vitus Bearing and naturalist Georg Steller. Also “Steller’s Island” by Littlepage.

Thank you. I'll look these up.

For videos, I know that I can search my library for "Alaska" (and 137 recordings pop up)--I was hoping someone would be able to recommend ones they've seen and are worth my time :-)

My top Alaska movie, and one of my favorite movies of all time, is Never Cry Wolf. Came out in the early 80's starring Charles Martin Smith. It is an amazing film.

It's surprisingly adult oriented to be a Disney film.

While it is fiction, the movie was based on the original authors account of his time in Alaska. Filmed on location in the Yukons and in Alaska.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by Freehike