Genoa: How to reach MSC cruise port from Piazza Principia station

Pinkali

Hi,

Can anyone tell me where exactly MSC cruise ships dock in Genoa? We are going to take the MSC Splendida from Genoa this month. We are arriving at Genoa Piazza Principe station. How to reach the cruise port from there? Does the Splendida dock at the Statzione Maritime which seems to be within walking distance from Piazza Principe station? Can anyone give a map to show the exact location of MSc ships at Genoa?

http://www.isango.com/ActivityLocationMaps/GenoaMAP762.pdf

This is the HoHo map. The port is at stop#9.

When we were there a few weeks ago an MSC ship was also in port. Genoa is quite a small city so nowhere is too far.

The port is 5 mins on the Hoho bus from Piazza Principe (#8) so by taxi even less. I would not suggest walking though.

Edited by helpthejuggler

It can be easily walked. Stazione Marittima is a 5-10 minute walk from Piazza Principe depending on which exit you come out of (there is a main one and a smaller one). There really is no need to take the HoHo bus (especially for the price) or a taxi (There aren't many in Genoa and it is so close by). I have included a map with arrows between the two.

1 - Stazione Marittima

2 - This is a shortcut from the bottom plaza to the road beside the station. These are steps but there aren't too many and easily do able. Alternatively you can follow the road and turn left past the bus terminus and on towards stazione marittima

3 - This is the approximate location of the side entrance should you come out there

4 - This is the main entrance to piazza principe station (the one on the large piazza)

If you need anything else please do ask (I used to live there)

164623237_ScreenShot2014-12-04at23_35_19.jpg.5b0d3d16470ecddb550a21b08cda0e28.jpg

It can be easily walked. Stazione Marittima is a 5-10 minute walk from Piazza Principe depending on which exit you come out of (there is a main one and a smaller one). There really is no need to take the HoHo bus (especially for the price) or a taxi (There aren't many in Genoa and it is so close by). I have included a map with arrows between the two.

1 - Stazione Marittima

2 - This is a shortcut from the bottom plaza to the road beside the station. These are steps but there aren't too many and easily do able. Alternatively you can follow the road and turn left past the bus terminus and on towards stazione marittima

3 - This is the approximate location of the side entrance should you come out there

4 - This is the main entrance to piazza principe station (the one on the large piazza)

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply. Although the thumbnail you posted is too small to see the details, I have figured out the path from google earth. It seems that the main entrance to the Piazza Principia station is in the Piazza Aquaverde. Is the side entrance on Via Andrea Doria?

I have uploaded the route I have found. Is it the same that you suggested? Is it the correct route? Is the side entrance/ exit to the station on this route?

Thanks again

Genoa direction to port.pdf

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply. Although the thumbnail you posted is too small to see the details, I have figured out the path from google earth. It seems that the main entrance to the Piazza Principia station is in the Piazza Aquaverde. Is the side entrance on Via Andrea Doria?

I have uploaded the route I have found. Is it the same that you suggested? Is it the correct route? Is the side entrance/ exit to the station on this route?

Thanks again

The main entrance is in piazza aquaverde and the side entrance is on via andrea doria. Those directions are good but you don't need to go as far ponte doria as the entrance for cruise ships is at stazione marittima on ponte dei mille. I have re-uploaded as a pdf so hopefully it can be seen more clearly.

1 - stazione marittima on ponte dei mille

2 - The steps leading from the road above to the piazza below. From here you should see stazione maritimma behind the elevated road. You can't really miss it as it is a big white ornately decorated building with flags flying outside of it.

3 - The approximate location of the side entrance

4 - The main entrance to the station

To be honest, if you come out of the main entrance it will only add a couple minutes extra walking time but it is useful to know there is a side entrance should you come out that way instead.

Screen Shot 2014-12-09 at 23.44.25.pdf

Thanks again Flygirl25 for all your help.Yes, it is helpful to know the location of the other exit of the Piazza Principe stazione, in case we come out of there. I planned till Pont doria as I thought( and saw on Google earth) MSC ships are docked there and we have to go till there. So you are confirming that to board a MSC ship I will have to enter the Stazione Maritime and not go to Pont Doria.

Thanks again

Is this the short cut route you described? I marked it with a red pen.

Yes it is. Everytime a cruise ship docked the HoHo buses waited at stazione marittima for the cruisers to get off and according to the website it is. As far as I am aware, the ships may dock on ponte doria but there is no direct access to there from the street as far as I'm aware. According to everything the embarkation point for cruises should be stazione marittima.

• 3 years later...

Does anyone have this original file?  I printed it awhile ago (stupidly instead of saving it) and wanted to put it on my phone for reference, but the print-out is too blurry, so I am in need of the original file, since it doesn't look like it is there anymore after the upgrade  :(   Thanks!!

ACFrOgD03BNQP0nCFMOspjyjv59IqN1SCWAZwZaALBnoReSDmsSTPkevh91xj3wAI3JVIkV8O6z15njbb60qkENVEWWW0MlsEXLpsGDVbZgH0G-rqrsZmg4B0c0r56c=.pdf

• 5 months later...
On 12/4/2014 at 10:54 AM, Flygirl25 said:

1 - Stazione Marittima

164623237_ScreenShot2014-12-04at23_35_19.jpg.5b0d3d16470ecddb550a21b08cda0e28.jpg

I have a similar geography question. We are staying at NH Genoa Marina the night before a cruise on MSC Grandiosa in November. Can we walk from hotel to cruise port as we have light luggage and if so how?