My Crazy Breakaway Review - Turkey Week

A little about me. I'm early 40's from Baltimore, and this was my 5th cruise, but first with NCL. I always book last minute and always get good deals. Maybe the price I pay has a lot to do with my perception of the cruise. I'm not overly picky. I drove to NYC in 3 hours and then paid a ridiculous amount of money to park, but that's not NCL's fault. Honestly, I think NCL would let us park on the ship for less. I went on this cruise with my girlfriend. She became my ex-girlfriend on or about day 5 of the cruise, but I still had an awesome time and nobody was thrown overboard. Do you know how awkward it is breaking up with someone on a cruise ship? Props to NCL for spreading the fun around and really making it where we only had to bump into each other in the very limited smoking areas.

Let's start with embarkation. It was a breeze for us. My girlfriend's arm was in a sling because she had surgery earlier in the week. One of the NCL staff members got us into priority boarding. Amazingly, my girlfriend wasn't even complaining about the arm at that point. They just saw her in line and insisted on getting her on the ship quickly. Considering we had the Ultimate Beverage package, getting her on the ship quickly probably ripped through NCL's profits like that iceberg ripped through the Titanic. I highly recommend the Ultimate Beverage package for couples that truly want to learn the person that their significant other really is. We had a mini-suite, 14156. It was nice. The steward kept it clean. We got towel animals every night. The towel animals are great. Not just for the terry cloth menagerie aspect of them, but for the fact that it gives you an extra towel. They only put two in the bathroom. I was unfortunately forced to euthanize a penguin and a monkey to take a shower. I will say that rooms in deck 14 seem to fall victim to quite a bit of noise from all the goings on up on deck 15. If peace and quiet is your thing then I would probably recommend a lower deck. Anyone that met my ex on the ship will know that peace and quiet obviously isn't my thing, and I was not bothered by any noise coming from above.

On to the food. Read a lot of complaints about the food before going. I started to think dinner might be like an episode of "Fear Factor". I thought the food was fantastic. It's not Tavern on the Green, but it's not a corner hot dog stand either, although they do have one of those onboard if that's your thing. Invest in the Ultimate Dining package. Just pretend it's part of your cruise fair. It is so worth it. All of the specialty restaurants are great. Cagney's is awesome, and Teppanyaki is really fun and good for a Japanese steak house. You can see the Cirque show for free on the first night as part of the dining package. We did that, and it was cool, but I would be mad if I actually did pay the 40 bucks for it, but that's really because I don't like Cirque shows. That meal wasn't the best, but it was better than popcorn and cotton candy. Look, they are trying to feed you a three course meal while you watch a show. There are limitations. As others have said the portions are small, but I noticed all these free restaurants on the ship where you could feed your face after the show if you were still hungry. I did the Garden Cafe everyday for lunch, and found it to be quite good. I was never up in time for breakfast (you can thank the Ultimate Beverage package for that), so I can't comment.

Entertainment. This is where the Breakaway really shines. I didn't even see a lounge singer that disappointed. Rock of Ages is great. I saw the movie and hated it, but fortunately, Norwegian couldn't afford Tom Cruise and that totally changed my opinion of it. It's actually quite amazing to get a show that good on a cruise ship. Sure beats the Carnival Dancers. Definitely go see Howl at the Moon, the dueling piano show. It's more like snuggling pianos, but very good. Joel and Lori are amazing talents. Brian was great too, but only onboard for that week filling in for someone else. See Howl at the Moon every night you can. It will be your fondest cruise memories. There is a Blues band in Fat Cats that goes by some Nawlins Frenchy name. Sorry, I can't remember it, but they were incredible. Some passenger brought a saxophone on board with him (and I always think I overpack). They brought him on stage and just yelled out a key, which of course was B flat, and they just jammed.

How about the ship and crew, you ask? Well it's a big boat with 6,000 people, but it never feels congested. It wasn't hard to navigate your way around. Design is subjective, so you can make up your own mind there. Plenty of pictures for you to check out on the web to see how you like it before booking. The crew was great. All super friendly and helpful, especially the bar and wait staffs. Tip them well. A lot of people like to comment about the captain and his personality. I don't quite get that. We got through a seven day cruise and the only mustering we did was during the drill, so he gets a thumbs up from me. There were some rough seas, but unless he deliberately steered us into them to take this 150,000 ton ship wake jumping, it wasn't his fault. I think the cruise director was new. His name is JC Sanchez. He's an interesting little fella. I only saw him a couple times. Once during the Newlywed Game, and at the close of Rock of Ages. I like his hat. I think I could pull a hat like that off myself. I'm going to try it. We didn't have great weather, so I really can't comment about the size of the pool or amount of deck chairs. There were plenty for the Canadians on this sailing that thought this felt tropical.

Disembarkation- Let me just put it this way. We left our room at 8:30. I was in the Lincoln Tunnel at 9:15. That was with 2 checked suitcases. Fastest Disembark I have ever had.

Ports- This is the first cruise that I really didn't get off the ship, except briefly in Nassau to get some pictures of the ship and run to a jewelry store. Apparently my room key fell out of my pocket in Nassau and I was questioned by both members of the Bahamian Navy before being allowed back on port. Also walking the streets of Nassau alone, I was offered all sorts of contraband. It made me feel like I was back home in Baltimore.

Due to severe weather we arrived in Port Canaveral late. I stayed on the boat, but I have been there before and highly recommend the Kennedy Space Center tour for anyone that thinks we actually landed on the moon over 4 decades ago and are now scratching our heads on how to go back.

In summary: Broke up with my girlfriend. The weather wasn't great, but NCL still made this one of the best vacations I have ever had. I am trying very hard to come back with my 5 year old son in two weeks. He always tells me he wants to go on the Mickey Mouse Boat, well money is a little tight right now, but I think he'll like the Spongebob boat.

Loved your review, I hope you get your son on that next cruise, No drinking package for that one, I was watching the Web cam while you were in Fl. I thought I was just watching a great lightening storm, didn't know that was you and your X setting off all those sparks! Glad you had a great time, I'm on the ship on the 4th Of Jan ... Can't wait!:p

Your review is hysterical!!! Def get the hat!!Wear it on your next cruise!! lol I agree with all of your observations...food, entertainment and crew were all great!!

ps Didn't want to get in trouble for "hijacking" the smoking thread so I figured I post over here...Thanks for your comments about my daughter singing with Howl at the Moon...It was soooo nice of them to let her sing!! It was the highlight of her cruise!!

Your review is hysterical!!! Def get the hat!!Wear it on your next cruise!! lol I agree with all of your observations...food, entertainment and crew were all great!!

ps Didn't want to get in trouble for "hijacking" the smoking thread so I figured I post over here...Thanks for your comments about my daughter singing with Howl at the Moon...It was soooo nice of them to let her sing!! It was the highlight of her cruise!!

Thank you. The hat is a done deal. I need some sort of mid-life crisis. The Howl at the Moon crew were super nice. Brian (the bald guy) just sent me a text telling me he's playing at a piano bar here in Maryland this weekend. I'm going to try to go see him.

Loved your review, I hope you get your son on that next cruise, No drinking package for that one, I was watching the Web cam while you were in Fl. I thought I was just watching a great lightening storm, didn't know that was you and your X setting off all those sparks! Glad you had a great time, I'm on the ship on the 4th Of Jan ... Can't wait!:p

Ha! Yes, it was quite stormy on and off the boat that night. Actually work is piling up a bit and I may not make that December 14th cruise, which means there is a good possibility I would be on the January 4th one. If you see a 6'4" guy with a 3'4" miniature version of himself walking around, that would be me.

Thank you. The hat is a done deal. I need some sort of mid-life crisis. The Howl at the Moon crew were super nice. Brian (the bald guy) just sent me a text telling me he's playing at a piano bar here in Maryland this weekend. I'm going to try to go see him.

Awesome!!! Tell him we said HI!!!

Ha! Yes, it was quite stormy on and off the boat that night. Actually work is piling up a bit and I may not make that December 14th cruise, which means there is a good possibility I would be on the January 4th one. If you see a 6'4" guy with a 3'4" miniature version of himself walking around, that would be me.

This should read: If you see a 6"4" guy with a HAT and a 3'4" miniature version of himself walking around, that would be me. LOLLOLOL

Edited by gonnacruise
adding

Lived through that one a few weeks ago when sister thought it was a good time to tell her husband she's been having an affair. On a family cruise that my parents paid for! Gee, that was a fun ride!

Your review was hysterical. Sorry about the break-up!

Yikes! Gotta love those family memories :D

Pretty sure we had different Howl players/singers but what bar in Baltimore will your Brian be playing at? Howl is always my favorite entertainment of the cruise. I know we had Ben, who was a bald guy and Nikki but it was her last week. I cannot remember the other's guy name but he looked and sounded a lot like Garth Brooks. They were all great!

Pretty sure we had different Howl players/singers but what bar in Baltimore will your Brian be playing at? Howl is always my favorite entertainment of the cruise. I know we had Ben, who was a bald guy and Nikki but it was her last week. I cannot remember the other's guy name but he looked and sounded a lot like Garth Brooks. They were all great!

He's playing in National Harbor at a place called Bobby McKeys (Ha! Get it). There is a Howl at the Moon in Baltimore in the Power Plant Live complex downtown. From what I was told, Norwegian just bought the name to use on their ships.

There is a Blues band in Fat Cats that goes by some Nawlins Frenchy name. Sorry, I can't remember it, but they were incredible. Some passenger brought a saxophone on board with him (and I always think I overpack). They brought him on stage and just yelled out a key, which of course was B flat, and they just jammed.

Les Getrex. Not a Nawlins Frenchy name, just the guy's name. Pronounced Less, not Lay. (I was thrown by that, at first, as well.)

• 2 weeks later...

Great review!

Props to NCL for spreading the fun around

So did you hear back on how much she liked the Engine Room? :)

I was unfortunately forced to euthanize a penguin and a monkey to take a shower.

This and many other awesome statements make me convinced that there is a good lady for you out there. Good luck!

Thank you so much! I've been married twice, so I'm not so sure, but I am certainly enjoying the search.

From my few years I can only say that searching does not work; being kind and keeping one's eyes open though gives much better results in meeting fun and good people.

There was a recent Person of Interest episode ('Wingman') that had some general tips in it too, the above one was mentioned there too. And if you can read with a bit of salt, Neil Strauss's Rules of the Game is a fun read too on that subject though his Emergency book is a much more fun and interesting read (all depends on what one likes and where one can see the fun in of course)

But yes, the key is what you say 'enjoying the hunt', that is winning a lot already.