Drink Packages no longer include gratuity?

Bowman26

Actually, I think you are mistaken about the prices of the RCCL drink packages changing at all.

I can't speak to the alcohol packages, but my royal replenish package has definitely changed price.

I purchased it for both my Allure and Liberty cruises earlier this year, and each time it was $20/day, tip included (so $100 on my 5-night cruise and $140 on my 7-night cruise). Each time I bought it online through the cruise planner about a month before my cruise.

I will be on Quantum in early Jan and purchased the same package a couple of weeks ago, online through the cruise planner as before. Instead of being listed as $20/day (so $160 for an 8-night cruise), it was listed as $19/day ($152 total). When I went to check out, a 15% gratuity was added, so rather than $152 or $160, it was about $175, or $15 more than I had planned on paying.

In the grand scheme of things, $15 is not a big deal. I find it annoying, though, and am thinking of cancelling the package. I didn't even drink $20/day worth of drinks on my previous cruises, but got the package anyway for the convenience - there comes a point, though, where the convenience isn't worth the extra cost, and it may have hit that point for me.

When I was on Indy for a 6 night cruise this month I did get the drink package for Beer and Wine. That package was advertised in the drink menu for $40 a day. That would make the cost $240 for the whole cruise. When the charge appeared on the TV, I saw it was $241.50, which worked out to #35 + 15% gratuity per day.

I went online to purchase a drink package for my NOS cruise last month and noticed that sales tax was added. I knew that was new and I cancelled the order. As it turns out, our bar bill was significantly less than the cost of the drink package. Made me realize how much you have to drink to make the package a good value!

I went online to purchase a drink package for my NOS cruise last month and noticed that sales tax was added. I knew that was new and I cancelled the order. As it turns out, our bar bill was significantly less than the cost of the drink package. Made me realize how much you have to drink to make the package a good value!

That could very well be a Texas requirement. Some states require sales tax to be added to anything sold at the embarkation port or delivered before the ship sails.

In the grand scheme of things, $15 is not a big deal. I find it annoying, though, and am thinking of cancelling the package. I didn't even drink $20/day worth of drinks on my previous cruises, but got the package anyway for the convenience - there comes a point, though, where the convenience isn't worth the extra cost, and it may have hit that point for me.

If you didn't break even, why get it? There's nothing more convenient about showing your card for a drink being paid by a prepaid package vs showing your card for a drink being paid through your account. It's all showing your card, the tip will be included (either in the package or on the slip), and you'll get your drink.