Aloha~! A Photo Trip Report of the POA - 10/11/14

Miicah

We began making our way halfway down the mountain to have (the included) breakfast at Kula Lodge, known for their fantastic views. We saw a lot of the bike tours going down the mountain, which I would’ve love to do if my mom wasn’t so adamant that she forgot how to ride a bike (you never forget how to ride a bike!)

DSC01697.jpg~original

DSC01701.jpg~original

It was awesome seeing the rainbow where the rain was falling.

DSC01705.jpg~original

I believe these two are the islands that are near Maui (Molokai and Lanai).

DSC01708.jpg~original

DSC01709.jpg~original

DSC01710.jpg~original

DSC01713.jpg~original

DSC01714.jpg~original

DSC01715.jpg~original

DSC01716.jpg~original

DSC01717.jpg~original

After breakfast we walked around the outside and to the nearby shops. I forgot I had set Illustration mode in the non-auto settings so some of my pictures came out like this, haha. But it still looked pretty to me!

DSC01718.jpg~original

DSC01740.jpg~original

I don’t know how, but our guide found this baby chameleon on one of the trees. It was so cute I just had to take a picture with it! It freaked my mom out though, haha. She can handle spiders and all those icky insects but reptiles are not her thing, haha.

DSC01743.jpg~original

DSC01745.jpg~original

DSC01749.jpg~original

When we got back to the ship we already had the day’s towel animal!

DSC01751.jpg~original

Our collection is steadily growing!

DSC01752.jpg~original

I thought that was pretty awesome! Haha, the stuffed ship crew was sitting right outside the gangway (where they do offer water and some wet towels at every port as you’re coming back).

DSC01753.jpg~original

The word on the street (er…ship? Haha) was that someone spotted giant sea turtles at a beach near the pier, so my mom and I decided to see if we could spot them. By that time I think it was too hot in the day for them to be out, so we didn’t see any. We did see a lot of crabs, though!

DSC01754.jpg~original

DSC01755.jpg~original

DSC01756.jpg~original

DSC01757.jpg~original

DSC01760.jpg~original

Walked around a bit more after lunch. Didn’t try La Cucina or Moderno, but I thought it was odd that you have to (depending on where you come from) go through Aloha Café to get to Moderno.

DSC01776.jpg~original

DSC01777.jpg~original

DSC01778.jpg~original

Our daily treat of the day. Wasn’t too fond of this one, haha.

DSC01779.jpg~original

I’ve read a lot of pier runners, so my mom and I decided to hang around and watch if there was any coming. Sure enough, after 5:30, names started to be listed off on the PA System haha. I didn’t get a video or picture of them running in, but this was the time they finally made it back on board—a whole twenty minutes after—with a round of cheers and claps, haha. I think we were supposed to leave at 6pm, so they’re lucky, haha.

DSC01780.jpg~original

Since it was Norwegian’s Night Out, and photos with the Captain was tonight (which we did before we ate), we dressed up nicely (as did a lot of other passengers) and decided to eat at Liberty as we were dressed to code. It was a great night to take part in the photoshoots as you were all glammed up, and sometimes photographers also come around to the restaurants and take your picture there too, with your permission (so no food halfway in your mouth kind of pictures, haha). We had a wonderful waiter who wished us a Happy Thanksgiving when he found we were from Canada.

DSC01798.jpg~original

I was carded for my Mangopolitan, haha.

DSC01799.jpg~original

DSC01800.jpg~original

DSC01801.jpg~original

DSC01802.jpg~original

Our waiter gave us an extra dessert, haha. He was totally awesome.

DSC01803.jpg~original

We meant to go watch Showtime: Lights, Camera, Music! at 9pm, but dinner ran too long that it already started that we just decided to head back to the cabin and call it a night.

Next day coming up soon!

Edited by Miicah

I don't plan on getting the soda package but I will most likely order one with dinner and here and there. Do they bring you the entire can or can I request it by the can? The reason I ask is that I plan to avoid the ships water & ice so to try and avoid swollen ankles:o.

I forgot to take a picture of it, but as we were driving up you could see several fires going on down below—I think it was sugarcane or something that the owners were burning. Less hot to do it in the dead of night than when the sun is up.

DSC01749.jpg~original

Sugar used to be Hawaii's largest industry and directed the course of Hawaiian history throughout the 19th and 20th centuries. It was the impetus behind US intervention and annexation, the huge ethnic diversity of citizens, and even the state's current political landscape. For various reasons, sugar production in Hawaii declined and tourism took over.

You probably saw a "cane burning." Hawaiian Commercial & Sugar (HC&S) is the last remaining sugar plantation in the state. They burn the cane to make it easier to harvest, but it's extremely controversial. It creates a lot of smoke and ash, and possibly releases dangerous gases into the air.

The photo you have here is of HC&S's processing plant.

I cannot thank you enough for this review! We sail in August, so your posts and pictures have been a big help. :D

Thank you so much for reading! I'm glad my review was able to be of some help! :D

I don't plan on getting the soda package but I will most likely order one with dinner and here and there. Do they bring you the entire can or can I request it by the can? The reason I ask is that I plan to avoid the ships water & ice so to try and avoid swollen ankles:o.

They didn't bring the can, just a glass of it. I'm sure if you ask for the can, though, they'll give it to you!

It is easy to not realize you are looking at the big banyan tree because it does not look like just one tree but several because of how it goes in and out of the ground.

I knew what to look out for as I've seen pictures of it, but my mom didn't. I would've thought it was an impressive enough sight to warrant a picture even if she didn't know what she was looking at, but alas, haha :p

Awesome review!!! Brings back memories of my trips to Honolulu and Maui😄

Sent from my iPad Air using Forums

I'm glad this was able to bring back some memories! Thank you for reading!

Sugar used to be Hawaii's largest industry and directed the course of Hawaiian history throughout the 19th and 20th centuries. It was the impetus behind US intervention and annexation, the huge ethnic diversity of citizens, and even the state's current political landscape. For various reasons, sugar production in Hawaii declined and tourism took over.

You probably saw a "cane burning." Hawaiian Commercial & Sugar (HC&S) is the last remaining sugar plantation in the state. They burn the cane to make it easier to harvest, but it's extremely controversial. It creates a lot of smoke and ash, and possibly releases dangerous gases into the air.

The photo you have here is of HC&S's processing plant.

Thank you so much for the information! My memory's spotty, but I knew it was sugar-something, haha. That would make it easier to harvest, wouldn't it? Though I can definitely see the downsides of it, too.

Thanks again!

This review is one of the best I've ever read here—and I've read a lot of good reviews! Keep it coming. :D

Oh, wow, thank you so much! Hope you continue to enjoy the rest of it!

This is great review!! More please!! :D

Thanks so much! More is on the way soon! :D

What an awesome review and pictures. !

We have to wait until 2016 for our 4th Hawaii cruise. :)

Patti

Wow, 4th Hawaiian cruise! That's amazing! You don't have to worry about what you weren't able to do last time, haha. Thanks for reading, Patti!