Aloha~! A Photo Trip Report of the POA - 10/11/14

Miicah

DSC01152.jpg~original

DSC01146.jpg~original

The sailaway party has begun! Felt kinda bad for the crew members because not too many people were really participating. If I was more bold (or had bold company, haha), I totally would’ve been all over that.

DSC01156.jpg~original

DSC01157.jpg~original

DSC01158.jpg~original

DSC01159.jpg~original

DSC01178.jpg~original

DSC01186.jpg~original

The black spot is Diamond Head!

DSC01192.jpg~original

It’s sorta hard to tell, but there are a billion stars up in that sky. It’s one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen.

DSC01195.jpg~original

My mom started to get sea sick, so we headed inside. It was ironic because small boats don’t phase her and large ships do, haha. Good thing we bought Bonine at the ABC Store before, especially since our cabin was forward and you could also feel the rocking there, too, haha. I liked it, though.

DSC01210.jpg~original

We had dinner at the Aloha Café—the ship’s buffet, and my least favourite place to eat on of all the places we went to. I don’t know what it is about this place but it just did not rub me the right way. We tried to have breakfast here once and it was just chaotic—the only reprieve Cagney’s has regarding breakfast.

DSC01201.jpg~original

DSC01203.jpg~original

DSC01204.jpg~original

DSC01205.jpg~original

DSC01207.jpg~original

After that, it was time to call it a night. A fun-filled day awaited us tomorrow!

DSC01215.jpg~original

More to come later!

This has got to be one of the best reviews I have ever read!!! I have enjoyed so much reading about your trip and looking at your pictures. We have been blessed enough to vacation the past two years in Hawaii and I loved getting to relive my trip through your pictures. :) Can't wait to read all about your cruise. We are cruising with NCL in July on the Getaway. Also wanted to say, you are a great daughter to have taken your Momma on a vacation such as this. You made memories of a lifetime!

Thanks for a wonderful review. You pictures are simply amazing; your in depth descriptions for all the pics are great. I feel like I am reading thru a travel brochure for Hawaii. Keep up the superb review.

Thank you so much! I don't know how you manage it, the cost of living there is so high. You are definitely lucky! I hope I don't get any information messed up, haha. Thanks again for following along!

We are very fortunate for the opportunity to live here. My husband is in the military and we were transferred here for 4 years (we were stationed in Milwaukee for 4 years prior to here).

Your review and pictures are amazing!!

I'm enjoying your review very much, and the photos of course.

My cruising experience is very limited but I'm surprised at the difference between the appearance of the POA and the ship I sailed on as well as the other ships I've seen via YouTube. The POA is very colorful, but that's fitting for a Hawaii cruise.

I'm impressed by the variety of activities offered. They all look great but I wonder how many people will have the time and energy to go to them considering all there is to do on the islands.

As far as the food goes, I'm curious why you disliked the buffet so much. I'm a fan of most buffets as I like the variety of foods offered and the fact that you can get in and out quickly.

I'm looking forward to your continuing adventures.

I'm so glad you enjoyed your time on our island! We are thinking about stopping in Toronto on our way to Rome in 2016.

I know it’s been a while since I swam in the ocean, but I don’t recall it being so rocky! I ended up cutting up my leg on the rocks when I went out to swim, though I didn’t even notice until my mom pointed it out to me…then promptly told me to go back into the ocean so that the saltwater will clean my wounds haha

Yes, the ocean here has a lot of rocks. The islands are volcanic. The white sand is shipped in to make some of the beaches more people friendly. The reef is also what helps make the waves so large.

We passed by the University of Hawai’i Honolulu Campus on our way, and I think further along on this street it was like a tent city of some homeless people. It was a reminder that even paradise has its own difficulties just like everywhere else.

I didn’t think Waikele Premium Outlets was all the great personally. It was definitely the smallest outlet mall I’ve ever been to, and though there was construction here also it seemed more cosmetic than anything else. But we did some shopping at Kate Spade so it wasn’t a total loss haha

The majority of our homeless are actually from the "colder" states who give them 1 way tickets here rather than pay the heating costs during the winter for shelters. Our legislature this past session has decided to start sending the homeless back to their homes. Yes, it's warm here, but we can't afford to take care of so many either. We asked those states to send us money to help defray the cost, but that's not going to happen.

The only place I really wanted to see was Kaena Point, as the travel book that I got mentioned that it had the most beautiful sunsets, which we would be in time for if we did the typical counter-clockwise tour of the island. Unfortunately, I had to choose the one place on Oahu that all the tour guides (that I talked to, anyway) would just not go to, haha. Evidently, the west side of Oahu is sort of their high-crime area because it’s mostly locals living there—sorta like their Jane and Finch, for any fellow Torontonians. Cars are often broken into there, and we would’ve needed a four wheel drive vehicle for the terrain, which most tour companies don’t use, so we were out of luck there. Not sure if I’ll ever make it out there if I do end up going to Oahu again, but I’ll cross that bridge when I get there, haha.

There are two access points to Ka'ena Point. North Shore side and Leeward Side. Yes, Nanakuli and Waianae are lower income areas. BUT I feel perfectly fine leaving my car parked and going hiking. The beach park at Ka'ena Point on The Leeward side is beautiful and it's a shame he wouldn't take you. You also missed Ko'Olina on the way that is a beautiful place. Please try to visit next time you are here.

After that, we continued on our way. Not sure which mountain this was, but you could climb it much like Diamond Head (I actually think we saw this from Diamond Head). Considering how much steeper it looks, I don’t think I’ll be climbing it any time soon, haha.

Koko Head Crater. It's a fun hike. If you can do Diamond Hear from KCC you can do Koko Head ;)

Ron said this was a military hospital.

Tripler Army Medical Center. The VA is also there. :)

It's a shame you didn't get to see Pearl Harbor. The USS Arizona, USS Missouri, and The Bowfin are very interesting places. The Swap Meet is also at Aloha Stadium on Sat, Sun, and Wed. Ward Centers near Ala Moana (1 block away) also has great shopping along with movie theaters, a Dave and Busters, and more boutique shopping.

Thank you for the review. I've always wondered about POA. ;)

great review - making me very nostalgic and sad at the same time.

makes me want to pull my finger out and finish my pictorial review too!

keep up the good work! can't wait to see what you got up to on day 2+ of the cruise :)

So glad you are doing this review! My DH gave me a POA cruise for Christmas...we sail in February:D

We will be in the suite next door to the one you were in, so I am looking forward to hearing more!

Subscribing now.

Oh wow, that is an amazing gift! Congratulations, haha! You'll totally love it! If you get the same butler and room steward, they are just amazing!

This has got to be one of the best reviews I have ever read!!! I have enjoyed so much reading about your trip and looking at your pictures. We have been blessed enough to vacation the past two years in Hawaii and I loved getting to relive my trip through your pictures. :) Can't wait to read all about your cruise. We are cruising with NCL in July on the Getaway. Also wanted to say, you are a great daughter to have taken your Momma on a vacation such as this. You made memories of a lifetime!

Aw, thank you so much! That is definitely lucky of you to be able to go to Hawaii the past two years! I'm happy you're able to relive your vacation through this review and that you're enjoying it! And aw, thank you so much! I owe my mom so much and it's a nice feeling to be able to give her something in return.

What a gorgeous suite!! :D Enjoying your cruise review!

It certainly was a beauty! They say once you got a taste of the suite life you can't go back, haha. Thank you so much for reading!

Really have been enjoying your review. Love your pictures! We were in penthouse suite 13518 in March and loved it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Forums mobile app

Thank you for reading! I'm glad you've been enjoying it! They certainly are great suites.

Could you share some of the photopackages they sell as well as at what price?

I thought I had a paper somewhere about it but it turns out it was just a list of when they had their photoshoots :( I only ever saw their list of packages and prices when they showed me in the shop. The only one I know for sure is the one I got-- 10 pictures for $134.37. I believe there's one for 20 and 50, and they also sell each photo individually (and then there's the ones of the ship and the places in Hawaii that I got for free). Since the larger ones are more expensive than the smaller ones, it's best to make sure you don't pick too many small ones if you get a package since the package might then end up costing more than if you bought it separately.

Thanks for a wonderful review. You pictures are simply amazing; your in depth descriptions for all the pics are great. I feel like I am reading thru a travel brochure for Hawaii. Keep up the superb review.

Thank you so much for your kind words! ^_^ Hawaii and the POA are definitely ones that don't get reviewed all the often or in that much depth so I wanted to do it some justice.

We are very fortunate for the opportunity to live here. My husband is in the military and we were transferred here for 4 years (we were stationed in Milwaukee for 4 years prior to here).

Your review and pictures are amazing!!

Oh, wow! That must be partially scary because of what your husband does, but it's sorta nice to be stationed in a beautiful place, eh? Thank you, though!

I'm enjoying your review very much, and the photos of course.

My cruising experience is very limited but I'm surprised at the difference between the appearance of the POA and the ship I sailed on as well as the other ships I've seen via YouTube. The POA is very colorful, but that's fitting for a Hawaii cruise.

I'm impressed by the variety of activities offered. They all look great but I wonder how many people will have the time and energy to go to them considering all there is to do on the islands.

As far as the food goes, I'm curious why you disliked the buffet so much. I'm a fan of most buffets as I like the variety of foods offered and the fact that you can get in and out quickly.

I'm looking forward to your continuing adventures.

Thank you! My cruising experience was zero before this, haha, so I don't have anything to compare it to other than reviews of other ships I've read, but I've read that the POA is definitely different compared to a 'normal' cruise.

I think the evening activities definitely got the most traffic (if you weren't dead tired after the day at port, haha), but those who went to any of those trivia or games during the day must've found it easy to win some prizes, haha.

I think it was more of the atmosphere than the food at the buffet that just bothered me. The food itself wasn't terrible or anything, and as you said there was a wide array of choices. I just didn't feel like I could really relax in there. If it wasn't crazy busy it was eerily quiet-- the times we ate there at night was usually right before they closed for a half an hour for the transition for the late night snack, and they'd take all the food away so we couldn't go back for more and it always felt like we were going to be asked to leave or something (though we never were). Just couldn't enjoy it.

Amazing photos!

Thank you!

I'm so glad you enjoyed your time on our island! We are thinking about stopping in Toronto on our way to Rome in 2016.

Yes, the ocean here has a lot of rocks. The islands are volcanic. The white sand is shipped in to make some of the beaches more people friendly. The reef is also what helps make the waves so large.

The majority of our homeless are actually from the "colder" states who give them 1 way tickets here rather than pay the heating costs during the winter for shelters. Our legislature this past session has decided to start sending the homeless back to their homes. Yes, it's warm here, but we can't afford to take care of so many either. We asked those states to send us money to help defray the cost, but that's not going to happen.

There are two access points to Ka'ena Point. North Shore side and Leeward Side. Yes, Nanakuli and Waianae are lower income areas. BUT I feel perfectly fine leaving my car parked and going hiking. The beach park at Ka'ena Point on The Leeward side is beautiful and it's a shame he wouldn't take you. You also missed Ko'Olina on the way that is a beautiful place. Please try to visit next time you are here.

Koko Head Crater. It's a fun hike. If you can do Diamond Hear from KCC you can do Koko Head ;)

Tripler Army Medical Center. The VA is also there. :)

It's a shame you didn't get to see Pearl Harbor. The USS Arizona, USS Missouri, and The Bowfin are very interesting places. The Swap Meet is also at Aloha Stadium on Sat, Sun, and Wed. Ward Centers near Ala Moana (1 block away) also has great shopping along with movie theaters, a Dave and Busters, and more boutique shopping.

Thank you for the review. I've always wondered about POA. ;)

Hey, another Hawaiian! I certainly did enjoy myself there, thank you! That's interesting that you're thinking of stopped in Toronto on your way to Rome. After Hawaii, I think it'll be quite the disappointment, haha. But definitely check out the CN Tower!

I never really thought about the volcanoes having something to do with why the ocean there had so many rocks! Now it makes sense, haha.

And that's crazy that other states ship their homeless to Hawaii :( They could've used all that plane ticket money to help them instead of sending them away. That's a shame. I hope that gets settled.

Yeah, I read that it's easier to reach Kaena Point from the North, which was why I was kinda hoping to do it during a tour of the island since we'd end up at the north, but none of the tour guides I talked to would go there :( It looks like I will have to drive myself there if I want to go (or taxi my way there, haha).I'll be sure to have my license the next time I do manage to return to Oahu, especially if a Hawaiian says it's a must see! ^_^

Ah, Koko Head Crater! Thanks for the name, haha. Is it really a fun hike? Haha guess I better add it to my list ;)

I did feel kind of bad about not visiting Pearl Harbor and the like but my mom nor I or big history or military buffs so it wasn't a huge priority for us. I have heard about that swap meet, though.

Thank you for your comments! Have you ever visited the other islands outside of a cruise?

We sail on the POA in Sept 2016. I'm enjoying your review & your pictures are wonderful!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you! You're going to love it! ^_^

great review - making me very nostalgic and sad at the same time.

makes me want to pull my finger out and finish my pictorial review too!

keep up the good work! can't wait to see what you got up to on day 2+ of the cruise :)

Yeah' date=' I'm making myself kinda sad and nostalgic just writing the review, haha. I'll definitely read your review if/when you do get around to it! ^_^

Thanks so much! I was hoping to do the next installment today but time has run away from me and I'm dead tired now, haha. Tomorrow I'll have more up![/font']

Yes, we go outer island often. We love Kauai. Maui has a lot to do. My husband was born in Hilo, and we have plans to get up to Volcano National Park in the next year to see the lava flows with our girls.

North Shore Ka'ena Point doesn't go through any residential, and would have been an easy and fast detour for a tour guide. It's only about 20-25 minutes from Haleiwa. The North Shore Marathon starts in Haleiwa and goes out to Ka'ena Point and back. It's a great run.

We were thinking of stopping in Toronto because a friend of ours from there says air to Europe Is way cheaper from Toronto than the U.S. ;)

Yes, we go outer island often. We love Kauai. Maui has a lot to do. My husband was born in Hilo, and we have plans to get up to Volcano National Park in the next year to see the lava flows with our girls.

North Shore Ka'ena Point doesn't go through any residential, and would have been an easy and fast detour for a tour guide. It's only about 20-25 minutes from Haleiwa. The North Shore Marathon starts in Haleiwa and goes out to Ka'ena Point and back. It's a great run.

We were thinking of stopping in Toronto because a friend of ours from there says air to Europe Is way cheaper from Toronto than the U.S. ;)

Oh that's awesome! I know some Oahu locals haven't be able to see the other islands so it's nice that you have :)

Yeah? Ah, well. I'll have to cross that off my list on my own! You participated in that marathon I'm guessing? ^^ I'm not much of a runner but with the weather and views in Hawaii I might just become one, haha.

And that's crazy! Usually we're told to go to New York for cheaper flights :p At least we're cheaper for something, haha.

Your review is outstanding! Really enjoying reliving our cruise through your review. Thank you so much for taking the time to do it, it's very much appreciated.:)

OMG, I like constantly read your review while I was waiting for my trip, haha. I'm glad you like mine! :o Thank you for taking the time to read it!