Aloha~! A Photo Trip Report of the POA - 10/11/14

Miicah

Miicah,

I was wanting to know a few things about the tour you took through NCL to the Haleakala Sunrise. Would you recommend this tour? We are looking into getting a rental car while we are in Maui and are trying to decide if this is something we could do on our own or if we should just book the excursion with the ship. Would you do this tour again, and do you think you could have driven yourself? Thanks for the info!

Micah, Oh my! This is by far the best review I have ever read! You should do this for a living! (What fun would that be?) You have definitely inspired me to look into my big trip for 2017, on the POA and discovering Oahu. Thank you so much for a wonderful review!!

Thank you for such a wonderful review. Having grown up on Oahu I can tell you really covered a lot of the island. We were there in Oct and stayed a week at my brothers place in Makaha then did the Pride of America. We had such a great time. Thanks again for all of the great pictures I really enjoyed them.

Thanks so much for reading! I'm glad that I was able to cover a lot of the island, that makes me really happy to know, thank you! And OMG, I just realized we were on the same sailing back in October! That's crazy! I'm glad you enjoyed your trip and this trip report ^^

Hi Miicah it's me again:o. I recall you said you had wished you had discovered Skyline for breakfast sooner, was it that much better than Cagneys, a different menu or the atmosphere?

Did you have the mini fridge emptied and did it go a good job of keeping water or soda cold...not just cool?

One more for now, the lovely photo of you, your mom and the captain, when and where was that taken?

I'm getting giddy with excitement I started on the clothing thing and have our summer clothes all over the place.:eek:

Hey Lorey lol For Skyline I think it was more of the menu for me. I've been told you could order the same things from Skyline at Cagney's but it's not listed on Cagney's menu's and I wasn't too keen on ordering off the menu. I found the atmosphere on both to be quite lovely.

I did ask to have the fridge emptied, and I guess it was cool? Not like the fridges at home, that's for sure lol But the drinks weren't warm, and that was good enough for me. Oh, and the picture with the captain, that was on the 'formal' night, the second day in Maui for us. Not sure if it changes or not. It'll be listed in the Dailies. And it was taken in the captiol atrium-- where the fancy staircase is lol.

And yay, excitement is awesome! Nice to bring those summer clothes out after such a long winter!

I loved the review and the pictures. We went on this cruise in Dec 2010 and had a blast. We spent the first 2 1/2 days on the island. You can see my photos below. Your detail of the cruise makes me want to go back. Thanks for taking your time to do this review

Awn, thanks so much for reading, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I will definitely take a look at your pictures (I saw that you also went parasailing, too, isn't that a blast?).

Miicah, thank you so much for this; it is exactly what I was looking for, and I spent a big chunk of my day reading it. The housework I missed will still be there tomorrow. ;)

Hi Jennifer! Haha, oh noes, well, at least it was better than doing chores lol Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for reading!

I logged onto NCL yesterday and checked in for my cruise 296 days away. How will I wait?! Guess I can re-read this great report.

It looks like our cruises are so far away, eh? I don't know how we'll make it, I'm itching to go now lol But yay for reviews keeping you going ^^

Miicah,

I was wanting to know a few things about the tour you took through NCL to the Haleakala Sunrise. Would you recommend this tour? We are looking into getting a rental car while we are in Maui and are trying to decide if this is something we could do on our own or if we should just book the excursion with the ship. Would you do this tour again, and do you think you could have driven yourself? Thanks for the info!

I would totally recommend this tour, though only if you're:

a) prepared for the chance that you might not see the sunrise (as we didn't),

b) willing to get up that early (there was a portion of an extended family in our group who didn't manage to convince the rest of their family to wake up that early lol)

and c) take the small van tour over the large bus tour that NCl also offers (I'm not too fond of the large groups and they don't have the option of going to Kula Lodge for breakfast. I don't think they have extra sweaters in case you get cold, either).

I can't comment on driving up there on your own as I haven't done it myself lol But it'll be dark (obviously, since the sun hasn't come up lol) so you should have some idea where you're going as I'm not sure how the visibility will be for signage, but other than that it's totally doable on your own. Once you hit the mountain there's a whole train of people you can follow up to the top. I'd get there early, too, to claim a parking spot and a spot near the railing for a good view.

Thank you so much for a w serf ul review. We've looked at this cruise and never really had the I formation until now

Thanks vey much

Awn, glad my review could be of help! Thanks so much for reading!

Micah, Oh my! This is by far the best review I have ever read! You should do this for a living! (What fun would that be?) You have definitely inspired me to look into my big trip for 2017, on the POA and discovering Oahu. Thank you so much for a wonderful review!!

If only I can do this for a living, eh? lol Thank you so much for that compliment, and for reading it in the first place! I'm so glad I could inspire you! I hope that dream trip goes well, and thanks so much again!

We just got back from our trip to Hawaii. We spent 14 glorious days there, including the POA cruise 3/28 - 4/4, and a few days pre and post cruise on Oahu. I was so inspired by Miicah's trip report that i was determined to do one too. I tried to take good helpful notes and pics to share. I've begun my trip report on a different thread. Here's the link to that thread if anyone is interested:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2194766

Aloha and mahalo Miicah for being an inspiration! :)

If any of you haven't already checked out BnAv10 review yet, go go go! It's super amazing so far!

So pleased to see all your details about POA. Holding out for a price drop but flights are booked for August.

I'm glad it could help! I'm crossing fingers for a price drop in flights for you!

Thank you so very much for your review.

I booked the 2 bedroom family suite with 3 of my friends yesterday because of the reduced deposit;) When the representative explained all the suite perks my friends were overwhelmed lol

today I checked and category SG is pricing out cheaper debating on switching for more square footage. I saw from your review that you originally booked this suite were you able to compare them?

Woooohoooo, I am now booked on POA. For any Australians researching this cruise check out NCL Aus website for Aloha Australia Mahalo Month deals. I tried to find out today from their hopeless call centre how long the promotion goes for but internet seems to say 1 April-30May (long months in Hawaii???). Prices are in AUD and although it doesn't include any OBC or sweeteners there is an option to add prepaid gratuities when booking and for my oceanview guarantee cabin it was only an additional AUD213.30 for the two of us. Came in at AUD1903.22 inc grat and tax per person.

Hi Miicah,

Fellow Canadian here! Loved reading your review. I learned so much. Thank you for doing it. We've done 5 caribbean cruises and I've never felt this overwhelmed trying to plan. Your review was extremely helpful.

One question, what time did you leave the POA to start the Haleakala Sunrise Tour and what time did they bring you back to the boat? Looking into doing this and see that it's also offered by private companies and just trying to establish the difference.

Happy sailing and thanks again!

Rhonda

• 4 weeks later...

Holy posts, Batman! I totally didn't get emails about these; I'm so sorry if these responses are too late!

Thank you so very much for your review.

I booked the 2 bedroom family suite with 3 of my friends yesterday because of the reduced deposit;) When the representative explained all the suite perks my friends were overwhelmed lol

today I checked and category SG is pricing out cheaper debating on switching for more square footage. I saw from your review that you originally booked this suite were you able to compare them?

Thank you so much for reading!

That's awesome that they had the reduced deposit going on, since suites have higher ones haha There certainly do seem like more perks than you know what to do with, right? lol That's funny how you're also debating between the two-bedroom and a penthouse. Since I never ended up staying in the two-bedroom I can't say anything from experience, and since one was in the aft and one was forward I never managed to get a glimpse of it either lol If space is important than I'd totally go for the penthouse-- the space in the bathroom alone might really do it for you lol Though considering how long ago your post was you probably already made a decision! xP

Thank you for the detailed review!! I am taking notes for our May 2016 cruise!

Thank you so much for reading! I'm already excited for you and it's still a year away haha

Woooohoooo, I am now booked on POA. For any Australians researching this cruise check out NCL Aus website for Aloha Australia Mahalo Month deals. I tried to find out today from their hopeless call centre how long the promotion goes for but internet seems to say 1 April-30May (long months in Hawaii???). Prices are in AUD and although it doesn't include any OBC or sweeteners there is an option to add prepaid gratuities when booking and for my oceanview guarantee cabin it was only an additional AUD213.30 for the two of us. Came in at AUD1903.22 inc grat and tax per person.

Yay, have a great trip! Dunno the conversion off the top of my head but in CAD that sounds awesome lol

Hi Miicah,

Fellow Canadian here! Loved reading your review. I learned so much. Thank you for doing it. We've done 5 caribbean cruises and I've never felt this overwhelmed trying to plan. Your review was extremely helpful.

One question, what time did you leave the POA to start the Haleakala Sunrise Tour and what time did they bring you back to the boat? Looking into doing this and see that it's also offered by private companies and just trying to establish the difference.

Happy sailing and thanks again!

Rhonda

Hiya Rhonda, a fellow Canuck! Thank you so much for reading! Ah, I'm doing my first Caribbean cruise soon-ish, so it'll be a change for the both of us! =D I love planning trips but there is just SO many things to do and not enough time, I can totally get how crazy it can be.

Oh gosh, that Sunrise tour. I want to say stupid o'clock but that's not a real time LOL It was so early! Hmm, I believe it was 3:30am that we met at the pier. And after the breakfast and the small shopping stop at the store across the street I think we maybe got back around lunch? If not around 11AM-ish or so. I know I was looking into some private companies, too. I really wanted to go to Kula Lodge for breakfast and I wasn't sure if any of them offered that. Whoever you choose it'll be a magical experience!

Ha, I just saw your review Miicah. Great job.

(My wife and I were on the POA the same time as you)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hey! I remember you from the roll call. It's a shame that never really panned out...or it did and I totally wasn't aware lol Thanks so much for reading! Did you make a review as well?

• 2 months later...

Enjoyed your review and all of the fabulous pictures. My DH and I will be sailing on her next May, and have already booked Valley Isles Excursions for Road to Hana (he liked the idea of unlimited soft drinks and the design of their website :D) VI emailed me last night to confirm my booking and mentioned they depart from the cruise dock at 8:05am (when the PoA only gets in around 8am) Did you find that the van kept to its schedule, or were there a few passengers disembarking at 8:10, etc? Just concerned that we miss the bus. It may convince us to upgrade to a suite again so that we have priority disembarkation again like our last cruise!:)

Enjoyed your review and all of the fabulous pictures. My DH and I will be sailing on her next May, and have already booked Valley Isles Excursions for Road to Hana (he liked the idea of unlimited soft drinks and the design of their website :D) VI emailed me last night to confirm my booking and mentioned they depart from the cruise dock at 8:05am (when the PoA only gets in around 8am) Did you find that the van kept to its schedule, or were there a few passengers disembarking at 8:10, etc? Just concerned that we miss the bus. It may convince us to upgrade to a suite again so that we have priority disembarkation again like our last cruise!:)

I'm glad you enjoyed it! You will definitely enjoy your trip in May! =D

I don't remember what time the van left the parking lot, but I know there were three vans there from Valley Isles and one left before us and one left after us. It all depended on which group had all their members there and left accordingly. We were able to disembark from the ship early, though, so maybe that also played a part in them waiting. I can't imagine them wanting to leave anyone behind but I don't think they'd wait 20 minutes for someone, either. I don't think you'll miss it, though! ^_^

We just returned from our trip last week. As Micah said, the vans pretty much left as soon as everyone was there. Our van was blocked in by another, so we had to wait a minute or two, but it seemed like all of them were leaving around the time they were supposed to. I was impressed by how much respect everyone showed for being on time.

I just added our Valley Isle Road to Hana day to my review, along with a few pictures. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2252994

Thanks to the both of you! I feel a little better about timing. Actually, we upgraded to a suite over the weekend, so with priority disembarkation, I'm not going to need to worry anymore (couldn't resist the suite life again...hehe)