My Trip Report: Quantum of the Seas 11/23 8-night Bahamas Cruise

WOW thanks for the great review so far.

So now I know what an obstructed view is like. No worries I'm good at looking around things...

Looking forward to hearing/seeing the rest...planning to take this in March next year but waiting to hear more.

Question: Is it easier to fly in to Newark, staying in NJ for a night and then going to the cruise port or, should we go into NYC and then to the port like you did?

Question: Is it easier to fly in to Newark, staying in NJ for a night and then going to the cruise port or, should we go into NYC and then to the port like you did?

It depends if you want to do anything with your stay. For one night, it would probably just be easier to stay in NJ unless you had something you really wanted to do in NYC.

Thanks for writing up this trip report. I'm enjoying reading as I do with all your others. We were on the same sailing as you. I'm glad you mentioned the Vitality water (the lemonade and fruit drinks with no calories and extra vitamins) because I had the same issue with it as you did and I thought I was being inept. Sometimes it would come out fully flavored and other times I couldn't get anything out of it but colored water. Too funny!

I have asked before QoS began her actual cruises without anyone being able to answer but you mentioned that you and your parents like to read. Is there a library on board as on most other RCCL ships or do we have to bring our own reading material with us. Small point but an impact on airline luggage limits!! Thank you.

I have asked before QoS began her actual cruises without anyone being able to answer but you mentioned that you and your parents like to read. Is there a library on board as on most other RCCL ships or do we have to bring our own reading material with us. Small point but an impact on airline luggage limits!! Thank you.

Yes, the library is on the 2nd level of 270, I believe.

Ports of Call

Port Canaveral, FL

15326366574_0cfa17fb0b_z.jpg

Lunar Lander by cmong, on Flickr

As I mentioned earlier, the itinerary for this particular sailing was less than stunning. After leaving on Sunday evening, we arrived early Wednesday morning (the day before Thanksgiving) at Port Canaveral. I was at a bit of a loss of what to do at this port … I have left on cruises quite a few times from Port Canaveral and have spent my fair share of time on Cocoa Beach, visiting Ron Jon’s, etc. I’ve also been to Disney World a decent number of times in the last decade, and while I was interested in returning to see the expansion of the Magic Kingdom, I thought that the $36 RCI bus + $100 gate entrance was a little steep considering the day would be at least a little limited (ie, returning to the ship on time before park closing) and I was also afraid of holiday crowds. One thing I’d never done, however, was visit Kennedy Space Center … which is funny because in the course of taking a cruise, I’ve actually been in Cocoa Beach for a shuttle launch. In the end, I figured this might be a good use of our OBC, so my dad and I signed up for the tour through the ship (mom had no interest and did not think she would like such a long, 8-hour excursion).

15761227708_ca246a88dd_z.jpg

Saturn V Center by cmong, on Flickr

We had heard conflicting information about getting off the ship … all coming from the cruise director. At one point (in his TV show perhaps), he mentioned that we would need to take ID and clear immigration when we went ashore and to plan 15-20 minutes or so to do that. Later, after an evening show, he did not mention that, instead saying that all tours met on the pier and that we needed to make sure we brought our IDs and SeaPass (instead of just the WOW band). Since our tour was scheduled to depart at 8:30, and the ticket advised showing up 15 minutes early, we were not quite sure how early we should try leaving the ship (if there would be immigration, backup, etc). In the end, we grabbed a few pastries from Café Promenade, ate them in the Diamond Lounge (which had better pastries, FYI) with some specialty coffees, and headed off the ship around 7:45. In the end, of course, there were no delays or immigration checks. We were directed to the Kennedy Space Center busses parked at the very end of the lot (they were actually KSC busses) and we boarded bus 1 (we were probably beat there by 20 people).

I will say right now that we did make a mistake that morning. Before leaving, we went out on our balcony to see what the temperature was like. It felt warmish, so we left with shorts and without jackets. Well … mistake. First of all, we were blocked from the wind. Secondly, when we stepped outside, that was actually the high for the day. The day alternated from being gray and cool to raining and cool with a steady breeze. It was not horrible, but … duh. I should have checked the weather on my phone given we were in a US port.

15762919337_db18a15d7f_z.jpg

Astronaut Ken Cameron's Talk by cmong, on Flickr

In the end, I thought the KSC tour was very interesting. When booking it, I had no idea how in the world the tour would take 8 hours. In the end, I probably could have taken a little more time. I had no idea how big the different areas of KSC were or how many attractions there were for visitors. Our tour guide offered interesting information on the 20-minute-or-so ride to KSC, and we started out in the Saturn 5 staging area. After our time at that complex, we were dropped off at the main visitor’s center where we were able to attend a “Meet an Astronaut” talk and Q&A. Then we had free-time for lunch and were gathered together again to see an IMAX movie and then head into the Atlantis experience (which includes the actual Atlantis shuttle). After that, we had a brief amount of free time my dad and I used to explore the rocket garden.

15762632049_4c84fa1095_z.jpg

Atlantis Experience by cmong, on Flickr

It was a very nice experience (except for the weather) on almost all accounts except for lunch. When we were excused for lunch, we had photos taken with the astronaut instead of heading straight to the cafeteria. Once we arrived there, the line was absolutely massive. We ended up grabbing a single hot dog and waffle fries from a counter-service grill outside and taking the rest of the time to explore the gift store instead. There were a nice variety of things for sale and the prices were fairly reasonable given that it was, well, a gift shop with a captive audience. We returned to the ship around 5 PM quite tired and hungry and were quite ready for dinner at Silk that night.

15762934637_a5a1b27e02_z.jpg

Space Toilet by cmong, on Flickr

Nassau, Bahamas (Thanksgiving day)

Quantum did not dock in Nassau until around 1 PM (and was staying until midnight). At one point I had thought about heading to Atlantis to see about getting tickets to the basketball tournament starting then, but the first session started at 1 PM and the second session did not start until 7 PM. It seemed like either way we’d miss a chunk of the 2-game session which, after ticket prices and the cost to get to/from Atlantis, did not seem worth it (though I really wanted to see Butler play … funny to see an Indiana team there when we were there).

Since we had all been to Nassau quite a few times, we did not plan anything. Once the ship cleared a bit, my dad and I headed around to take pictures while my mom read in the aft seating area at the top of the ship. My dad and I got off the ship twice … once to take pictures in the day (we were parked next to the Norwegian Breakaway) and once to take pictures of Quantum at night when the other two ships (also Carnival Magic) were gone.

Coco Cay, Bahamas

It was quite windy in Nassau and I had a feeling we would not be visiting Coco Cay. This turned out to be the case as the waves were to rough for tendering through the small inlet to the island’s pier. This was a bit disappointing, but not the first time it has happened to me (in fact, may be two times in a row it has been cancelled). While I had wanted to get some pictures of Quantum from the island, I was admitted a bit relieved that we would not be the guinea pigs for Quantum’s tendering process. I had asked previously about tender tickets, etc, and was basically consistently given a shrug and explanation that tendering really had not been explained to crew yet.

15329056163_e713b51b33_z.jpg

Felicia Not Impressed with NCL by cmong, on Flickr

15773634420_e2b3bbf885_z.jpg

Crowds around RipCord by cmong, on Flickr

15958955351_2ac571fcdb_z.jpg

Quantum Sports Experiences by cmong, on Flickr

15338652114_25a58790d2_z.jpg

Quantum in Nassau by cmong, on Flickr

15761303618_5086b3de84_z.jpg

Nighttime Quantum in Nassau by cmong, on Flickr

15946757581_4a980446f2_z.jpg

NorthStar Recovered After Lightning Strike by cmong, on Flickr

RCI Shows

Mama Mia

Let me make a few statements. I love musicals of the more modern era (ALW and beyond). Book of Mormon. Loved it. Les Miserables. Wonderful. Avenue Q. Hilarious. Wicked. Entertaining (though the second half drags). I had previously been dragged along to see a touring production of Mama Mia when I was still a student at Purdue. Most of my feelings from that production are still valid … it is an interesting attempt to string plot together in order to sing ABBA songs. The characters are fairly flat and I don’t really see the premise of the show (or some of the discussions/songs) as being very family-friendly. However, it is a generally fast-paced, fun musical that at least can put a smile on your face while you are in the theater.

With that being said, I thought the Quantum rendition of Mama Mia was as good, if not better, than the national touring production I saw. The quality of the acting was great. The singers were mostly excellent. The staging was spot-on identical. It is obvious a lot of time, money, and energy went into this production. I enjoyed myself even though I wasn’t too excited about seeing it again. My mom really liked it and she was originally none-too-excited for it either. My dad … well it got perhaps a grunt of approval from him, so not too bad.

I’ve said it before in my reviews from other ships, but I much prefer the idea of having a full musical presented by the cast as opposed to a mash-up production show. If I’m going to invest the time, I’d like to see a whole story, not just hear snippets in a show where basically the only value is determining whether or not you can recognize the music. I write this even though I absolutely hated Saturday Night Fever on the Liberty. I’d rather at least be able to see and judge an entire show then get one song. I’d even sit through Cats on Oasis, even though I’m almost positive it will not be my cup of tea, just so that I can at least have experienced that production.

Here is how I would rank the shows I’ve seen on RCI biased by how much I liked the source material:

1. Chicago. It’s not my favorite musical, but I enjoy it quite a bit and I thought it was a great show for the Allure. Some complained that it was not family friendly, but again … really neither are Mama Mia (IMO) and Saturday Night Fever. I like the jazz music and it has a good movie version that can be watched at home.

2. Mama Mia. Great production. Fun tunes. Fun-while-it-lasts musical thought not a lot of substance you can chew on after the show. The movie version is middle-of-the-road to terrible.

3. Hairspray. Fun but without as many catchy songs. Some interesting exploration of themes that is overshadowed by a little bit of cheap humor.

4. Saturday Night Fever. A downer of littler interest to me. Had not seen the movie, did not know the story, and had no interest of following up after this performance. Technically interesting.

Starwater

I believe (though I may be wrong) that we had reservations for the first performance of Starwater for this cruise. RCI really pooched this particular performance. We had a few after-dinner drinks in 270 and just stuck around for the performance (and yes, our reservations were confirmed while we were in our seats). As the space began to fill, it became apparent they were having issues with the projects for the “back screens” or the windows to the room that were being projected on. What had been a curtain was having issues in the center. Come show time, a few characters walked around the area, but the screens were black. Evidently, the decision was made to just run the show without those back screens. The robot screens worked. The projects from the ceiling onto the floor (and dress) worked, but without those back screens, you could not really tell what was going on. The show was quite horrible without the main technological element. At no point was there an announcement that the should would be running without it’s proper background. At no point was an alternative showtime offered (all reservations had already been booked out for the entire cruise). Instead, we got the cruise director coming in at the end clapping his hands and exclaiming how wonderful the show and the technology was (I’m assuming no one let him know it was not working as he came to send off the crowd).

15958968721_460d5a17be_z.jpg

Starwater Night by cmong, on Flickr

15338665784_8d35e3d943_z.jpg

Starwater Skyfall by cmong, on Flickr

15774931569_f592678c2a_z.jpg

Starwater Underwater by cmong, on Flickr

15935172396_0e0bb81f45_z.jpg

Starwater Explosion by cmong, on Flickr

In a nutshell, what irritated me the most was the attitude. I work with technology. I know it can have issues, especially when it is still being rolled-out. However, to not only waste our time with half of a show, but also fail to at least acknowledge the issue … irked me. Own the mistake (which was obviously not life-threatening or a major issue in the scheme of things) and I would take a better view of just ignoring it and essentially pretending that we had actually seen Starwater. Take the pictures above and delete the background ... not engaging at all.

I managed to duck out of a theater show later in the week and slip into 270 during a different performance of Starwater later in the week to catch part of it and it was a completely different experience … I’m not sure I would have loved it, but I would have loved the chance to see it in its entirety.

Three minutes of StarWater

Sonic Odyssey

This was the most hyped show of the cruise and one we were constantly told that we would be seeing for the first time anywhere. With all of that hype (and what I had read online), I left the theater … unimpressed. The Earth Harp was interesting, but I guess I had thought it would be a more engrossing musical experience (I was sitting in the middle balcony section reserved for Gold card and D+ and above). I don’t know … maybe I was thinking there would be more of an emotional or feel-it-in-your-bones type of experience.

Beyond the Earth Harp, I did not find too much else compelling. There was an interesting drum piece, but even that part seemed fake. I’m not sure if it was just because the timing was off, but my feeling was that the action on stage was sometimes moving to noise being created elsewhere … ie, the “drum clothes” and the drum “background” were all choreographed sham. The show just did not gel for me, but I know some others loved it.

Although I enjoyed all the shows you are spot on about them. I was at the first run of starwater and if I didn't see it again later I would never have known the big screens weren't working. As it was the show was 10 times better when everything worked. I thought the cast walking around before the show staring down audience members was a little weird. All the drum jackets other than the lead guy with the long hair were fake during sonic oddesy. Even the long hair guys jacket failed during his solo. You could see him signal the actual drummer above the stage for help. The violin bust lady was fake too. They didn't look like they had much practice so I figured that part was a late add. In their defence I was sitting in the first row. If I was a little further back I don't think I would have seen so many errors.

Sit-Down Dining (complimentary)

Dynamic Dining

I know I’ve already said my piece about making dynamic dining reservations online. The system did not work well and it does not favor late bookers. All of our reservations were printed for us when we arrived in our cabin and they were also visible on the Royal IQ app. Once I tried to change a reservation using Royal IQ and it told me that there were no spots available (which was no different than the website before arriving).

Note: Some percentage of guests had their reservations lost. I heard many stories of how long lines were to try to make reservations that were no longer available and wrangling for tables. This does not reflect my experience but I know lots of weird things happened.

15329082163_c6c4b0ee61_z.jpg

American Icon Entrance by cmong, on Flickr

Many people have ranted about lines to get into the dining rooms even with a reservation. We did run into some short lines, especially arriving at 5:30 when the dining rooms open. People line up early and it takes some time for the employees to work through and check everyone in. The process was fairly painless. As you waited, a crew member would approach with a tablet. They would hold it against one of our WOW bands to bring up our reservation. If that did not work for some reason, they would ask for our cabin number. They would confirm how many for dinner, then either hand us off to a waiter to show us to a table or take us to a table themselves. One time for dinner we were asked if we would like to share a table. We said yes and about 15 minutes later a couple was seated with us.

15948044392_3300737c42_z.jpg

Silk Entrance Table by cmong, on Flickr

Note: There was a little “confusion” at some points with the lines as some would bypass them because “they had a reservation” … as if everyone else in the line was an idiot and did not. These people would then stand in the doorway, usually making loud, rude comments about waiting, and then be rewarded by being helped before the others waiting their turn. This does support the notion I’ve seen from others that there perhaps needs to be two types of lines: reservations and no reservations.

We like to eat early and, perhaps because of that, we occasionally had a brief wait in line but there was always a table ready for us. In fact, several times we arrived 30 minutes before later reservations we did not really like and were seated without even a comment about being early. At some points, we were eating at 6-7 and noting that there were many open tables. Perhaps the experience was different by the time tables needed to be turned over for late-eating guests, but we never had an issue with waiting in line or even horribly slow service. I actually thought the meals tended to go faster because the menus are set up differently (appetizer-mains) instead of (appetizer-salad-mains) and I know we usually ended up with fewer appetizers/salads. Though we generally had decent to good service, it was nowhere near the experience of having a server get to know you over the length of the trip.

15329082763_43ccd9883f_z.jpg

Grande Entrance Table by cmong, on Flickr

Note: For those who have read my reviews, there are two very positive outcomes of dynamic dining I must mention. First, there was no singing and dancing. I hated this nightly event on Carnival and I still did not like it 2-3 times a cruise on RCI. No more (unless you have a special occasion). Also, in a related bonus, without music and dancing, there were no more passengers being encouraged to spin and twirl soiled napkins. Yay!

Breakfast

American Icon is the only dining room venue open for breakfast and we ate there almost every morning. I noticed not real improvement in food quality from standard breakfast in the dining room on other RCI ships. There were some different options (such as the bodega breakfast sandwich) and eggs benedict was on the menu (but I did not think the quality was great … the hollandaise was very thin the two times I tried it). The same smaller tables were available for breakfast, but as with other ships, they tried to fill the larger tables first unless you did not want to sit with others. This was a good time to talk with others on the cruise (though it did occasionally lead to a complaint-fest).

15341243343_1cc0569516_z.jpg

American Icon Breakfast (front) by cmong, on Flickr

15960861165_afa7dc6985_z.jpg

American Icon Breakfast (back) by cmong, on Flickr

Note: I really wish there would be a concerted effort to right some of the neglected RCI versions of breakfast food. The pancakes are always just terrible because they are so over-mixed that they are rubbery instead of fluffy. The biscuits offered in the buffet are likewise terrible. Grands frozen biscuits would be 500% better than what is served. I know it is low priority (and a pipe dream), but I would love a little effort at making true American versions of food if they are going to offer it on the menu (and I know … mass-produced food … but like I said, I’m just wishing).

Lunch

As with breakfast, American Icon was the only dining room venue open for traditional lunch. There was nothing similar to the tutti salad from other dining room lunches. Instead, a pared-down or slightly altered American Icon dinner menu was offered. The food was decent, but after one lunch and knowing we had two dinner reservations at AI as well, we did not return because of lack of variety. I suppose that they could have slightly altered the different lunch menus, but I did not check and did not have faith they would.

15341231803_b920058f0b_z.jpg

American Icon Lunch menu by cmong, on Flickr

Individual Restaurant Reviews

I’m not going to spend a lot of time going into detail about the individual restaurants just because food and tastes are so subjective.

American Icon

15775164327_5f89854de4_z.jpg

AI Entrance by cmong, on Flickr

15338606144_82ac78819f_z.jpg

AI Dinner by cmong, on Flickr

15773605130_718e7b5b61_z.jpg

AI Dessert by cmong, on Flickr

As I mentioned before, the food at American Icon was definitely repetitive after a lunch and dinner. For the second dinner, I opted for the hamburger as my fallback choice because nothing else seemed to appetizing. The only thing we all agreed we really liked was the clam chowder. I thought the buffalo mac and cheese was fine, though the hot sauce taste pretty much overpowered any cheese taste for me. The Thanksgiving dinner was the standard turkey “roll” (ie, not carved turkey) served on other ships. The chicken wings were more of an Asian prepared wing than an American one as the sauce was not recognizable as “buffalo” sauce. The web menus advertised chicken and waffles, though it was changed to chicken and biscuits. I was told by the waiters that people did not appreciate the taste of the cheese waffles. Personally, (with my note about RCI’s versions of biscuits above) I did not think the biscuit could have been much of an improvement. The chicken was decent, though the pieces were not cut like you’d expect from an American chicken chain. I heard someone describe the food at American Icon that I would probably agree with … it is a foreign approximation of American food from people who have probably not had the “real” thing. It’s a shame that they could not get an American chef to put curate the menu and recipes, but I thought the food was fairly typical cruise fare.

15774864329_7266b2ce8f_z.jpg

AI Chicken and Biscuit by cmong, on Flickr

Chic

15960933645_9c32b2dacb_z.jpg

Dinner at Chic by cmong, on Flickr

Chic was the only restaurant that we had a single reservation for. The décor was modern and reminded me the most of Celebrity. I did not really care for the chairs as many of them had a beaded skirt (you kick something and wonder what it is at first) and also tended to bend back. Since I’m a big guy, I felt like I was leaning back or sitting in a hole.

15958963951_0ce3ec4413_z.jpg

Chic Menu by cmong, on Flickr

15960934665_bdf6491f94_z.jpg

Chic Dessert Menu by cmong, on Flickr

I thought there was some pretty decent food at Chic (or “chick” as I heard way to many people pronounce it). As fairly usual on with cruise food for me, I thought that the strengths were in the appetizers over the mains. I enjoyed the beef carpaccio and the crab cake. I’m sure some New Englanders would scoff at the crab cake offering, but it tasted pretty good to me. I tried the crispy chicken for my main and it was fairly non-crispy. My dad got the steak, my mom the lamb, and both looked to be good cuts and were reported to have decent flavor. The ribeye was served more like prime rib than a grilled steak. The dark chocolate torte was the hands-down winner for best dessert (if you like chocolate) though the gelato was not bad.

Grande

We had dinner at the Grande (or as I heard so many people say, Gran-Day) on the second night as an homage to formal night. My dad grumbled about having to bring a jacket on this trip (I made sure we used it in NYC once, too), so I made two reservations here to at least try to make it worth while. We ran into the longest line here, but it wasn't too bad. We were seated and served a bit of complimentary house champagne (or American Chateau de Tuesday).

Note: From all I saw, jackets were enforced as part of the dress code. I heard stories of jackets being offered to a few gentlemen who were at least wearing ties with others dressed down even more denied entry. That is second hand, but in general, dress was definitely suit or better if not exactly formal.

15960206312_32f7bbd0bd_z.jpg

Grande Dinner Starters by cmong, on Flickr

15960852565_17e361aa24_z.jpg

Grande Dinner Mains by cmong, on Flickr

15935084256_65f1d8c72c_z.jpg

Grande Desserts by cmong, on Flickr

The three of us agreed that our meal at the Grande was our most disappointing meal of the cruise. While some of the food was fine (the shrimp cocktail was definitely bigger than the bait shrimp used on other ships), most was either typical or disappointing. The escargot was made exactly the same as you've ever had it on RCI and presented the same way. The lobster thermidor was simply not very good. The waitress removed it from the shell for me and it still had a few "shell" pieces stuck to it. Besides that, it was a bit chewy and did not have a great taste. My mom did enjoy her lamb shank. The lava cake for dessert was OK, but was not as good as what Carnival offers nightly without having to wear a jacket.

In the end, we were so disappointed with our first meal at the Grande that we did not return for our second reservation.

15773582530_bff5f59320_z.jpg

Shrimp Cocktail by cmong, on Flickr

Silk

Our favorite complimentary dinner onboard came at Silk. Admittedly, my dad and I were starving. We had spent the day off at Kennedy Space Center having eaten only a light continental breakfast, a hot dog (my dad), and waffle fries (me). We were ready to eat and eat hard come our time to visit Silk. We were seated very quickly and staff bowed to us as we entered. We were placed at a nice table next to the window and informed by the waiter that, unless we had specific allergies, they would be brining us appetizers “family style” so that everyone could share. We ended up having the tacos, short ribs, egg drop soup (own bowls for that), crab Rangoon, and shrimp shumai. We were starving but we got through it all. Highlighs were probably the soup, short ribs, and crab Rangoon, though the tacos and the shrimp dumplings were not bad by any means. Fried wanton and dipping sauces were also the “bread” served and we probably ate too much of that fried treat.

15773495398_07c25ef8fa_z.jpg

Silk Dinner by cmong, on Flickr

15774881449_0c1fa2ea37_z.jpg

Silk Dessert by cmong, on Flickr

For mains, I opted for the chicken tikka masala, my dad had the hibachi steak, and my mom had the salmon. They were all quite good. The chicken tikka had a bit of spice to it but it wasn’t flaming hot. The steak was tender and had a good teriyaki taste to it. Dessert was probably the weakest portion as many of the offerings had nuts which we were trying to avoid.

15774882129_c7c5cc38e3_z.jpg

Looking out of Silk by cmong, on Flickr

We returned to Silk one other night and, while the experience was not quite as good, it was still very nice. The only downside was that they had run out of fried wanton and were substituting papadum instead which were not quite as tasty to me. Perhaps one reason I enjoyed this restaurant so much more than the other complimentary fare was that it was honestly different than “cruise basic” food. I would not have been surprised at running into most of items on the other menus on any other cruise (especially once you get out of the 7-day rotation). This food was different, had good flavor (perhaps more comfortable for the cooks), and did feel a bit more like a for-fee restaurant.

Note: I did hear a lot of grumbling about Silk. Mostly it was from older passengers complaining about the spice level and how it was just "hot" food. I thought that this characterization was unfounded for the most part. However, I am thankful to get a cruise meal that actually had some flavor besides salt. If you don't like Asian food, Silk won't change your mind, but it is a good offering for someone who likes the cuisine or would like to try something out. My dad ordered the chicken tikka the second night (much to my surprise) and enjoyed it ... and I never thought I would see the day when he would willingly order Indian cuisine.

• 3 weeks later...

I just saw this review while looking for info about the DO category rooms. We were neighbors on the inaugural as I was in 6566 with my two minions.

It appears that Royal at least delivered consistency, because I could have been reading my own words and thoughts. (Though I don't feel as generous about the reception process at the restaurants). Silk was our favorite as well, and we were disappointed to learn that AI was the daily lunch, making it an overworked menu. We tried to change our second AI dinner to Chic, but the system showed no availability....most every word like yours. [emoji1]

Thanks again, I look forward to reading more of your reviews.

- Rich