advice needed Tokyo

CJcruzer

Have a chance to participate with other CC members on day pre cruise tour, using public transportation..

to be seen:

Tsukiji Fish market

Asakusa - Nakamise shopping street/Sensoji temple

Meiji shrine

tea ceremony at Happoen gardens

imperial palace plaza/east gardens

Shibuya street crossing

8:30 - 4:30 using subway, train and walking

is this doable in one day - without rushing around ...will we actually fit all this in?

would it be better to arrange a tour with transport by car/van rather than public transportation? I would think public transport, despite the walking to and from, and wait times - might be better due to traffic congestion of vehicles?

Carol

Edited by CJcruzer

In Tokyo, using public transportation is definitely the better choice. Traffic is a nightmare. The subway lines are incredibly convenient, run flawlessly and seem to have stops nearly everywhere you want to go.

I spent about 10 days in Tokyo with my son and we used the subway for everything.

While I probably wouldn't squeeze as much into a day as you are doing, that's not to say it isn't possible.

Have a chance to participate with other CC members on day pre cruise tour, using public transportation..

to be seen:

Tsukiji Fish market

Meiji shrine

Shibuya street crossing

is this doable in one day - without rushing around ...will we actually fit all this in?

We did 2,4,5 on your list along with the Tokyo Tower with a well known tour company and it took most of the day. To do all on your list you would really have to rush.

We are going to be in Tokyo 2 nights but less than that for sightseeing. We have chosen to have a car and guide because I think that even if we are in traffic that time in car is really rest time while walking to public transportation and getting up and down to subway from where you want to see things is too much for my getting older legs. Pick up and delivery by car I'm hoping will cover more sites (Using Discover Japan tours on custom plan).

As for the Fish Market if you don't get there until something like 9 AM there will not be that much to see and do. The action happens for the fish auction at 4:30 AM and that is where the folks are actually displaying and selling the fish -- according to the several guide books that I have read. Imperial Palace and gardens in early March will not take us long either -- expect cold and wet much like Boston or Buffalo in US.

Because our trip is long (10 days pre then 16 day cruise port {semi} intensive then 7 day post in Japan) I am planning less for the Japan part because you can always add an activity and not feel bad about it. Dropping things due to exhaustion and grumpiness makes for bad travel memories especially if traveling with a group with unknown factors (ones I travel with have 25 years experience traveling with each other and if we are honest know what to expect and can plan for it.)

We went to the fish market at 9 am and it was still busy. Lots to see and very interesting...I wouldn't miss it.

Going but not at 4:30 AM. Need that beauty sleep too much so I don't become the Ugly American Tourist:D

to be seen:

Tsukiji Fish market

Meiji shrine

Shibuya street crossing

would it be better to arrange a tour with transport by car/van rather than public transportation? I would think public transport, despite the walking to and from, and wait times - might be better due to traffic congestion of vehicles?

Carol

Public transportation is the way to go with such an intense itinerary. I do fear you will feel rushed and personally, I would eliminate the tea ceremony at Happoen given transpo logistics and the time it takes for a tea ceremony.

I also wonder if you intend to visit the sites in the order you have listed them. If so, you would waste some precious time crisscrossing the city at certain points.

I would suggest:

Tsukiji

Asakusa

Imperial Palace

That would probably cover your morning and then you could head "uptown."

I would do Meiji Shrine first in the Harajuku district. It is something of a walk from the entrance to the main shrine, so you should budget some time for that.

If you do not do Happoen, you will have a bit more leeway with time and there are a few options I can think of after Meiji Shrine. You can go down Omote-Sando dori (street) to the heart of Harajuku for shopping at Oriental Bazaar, which is the best place for souvenirs: kimono, porcelain, woodblock prints, antiques and the usual trinkets. I believe they have an English website these days. From there it is one stop to Shibuya from either Harajuku station or Omote Sando station.

Another option if you forgo Happoen, but want to see a traditional garden is to take the subway from Harajuku one stop to Omote Sando and walk 5 - 6 minutes to the Nezu Museum. The garden there is not as expansive as Happoen, but it is one of the loveliest traditional gardens in Tokyo.

If you went to the Nezu, you would double back to Omote Sando station and from there it is only one stop to Shibuya. In front of the famous street crossing is the Hachiko station plaza. The statue of the famous dog Hachiko is there and it is popular among tourists (Japanese and foreigners alike) to take a photo standing next to the statue.

Shibuya is a good place to end up......for those who want to return to their hotel, there are many train lines for easy access and for those who want to linger, there are many restaurant/cafe options.

Whatever you decide, I hope you will enjoy Tokyo.

Kate

Public transportation is the way to go with such an intense itinerary. I do fear you will feel rushed and personally, I would eliminate the tea ceremony at Happoen given transpo logistics and the time it takes for a tea ceremony.

I also wonder if you intend to visit the sites in the order you have listed them. If so, you would waste some precious time crisscrossing the city at certain points.

I would suggest:

Tsukiji

Asakusa

Imperial Palace

That would probably cover your morning and then you could head "uptown."

I would do Meiji Shrine first in the Harajuku district. It is something of a walk from the entrance to the main shrine, so you should budget some time for that.

If you do not do Happoen, you will have a bit more leeway with time and there are a few options I can think of after Meiji Shrine. You can go down Omote-Sando dori (street) to the heart of Harajuku for shopping at Oriental Bazaar, which is the best place for souvenirs: kimono, porcelain, woodblock prints, antiques and the usual trinkets. I believe they have an English website these days. From there it is one stop to Shibuya from either Harajuku station or Omote Sando station.

Another option if you forgo Happoen, but want to see a traditional garden is to take the subway from Harajuku one stop to Omote Sando and walk 5 - 6 minutes to the Nezu Museum. The garden there is not as expansive as Happoen, but it is one of the loveliest traditional gardens in Tokyo.

If you went to the Nezu, you would double back to Omote Sando station and from there it is only one stop to Shibuya. In front of the famous street crossing is the Hachiko station plaza. The statue of the famous dog Hachiko is there and it is popular among tourists (Japanese and foreigners alike) to take a photo standing next to the statue.

Shibuya is a good place to end up......for those who want to return to their hotel, there are many train lines for easy access and for those who want to linger, there are many restaurant/cafe options.

Whatever you decide, I hope you will enjoy Tokyo.

Kate

thank you so much for the information! I had not listed the sites in any specific order, just as they came to mind!

I have decided to spend a day or so extra, and get to see more of Tokyo, but I will keep in mind what is in central, north or west Tokyo to plan strategy:)

thanks to everyone who took the time to respond.

Carol

We will be staying at the Hilton near Narita and need to get to Harumi cruise ship terminal. Taxis and car services are ridiculously priced. Will only have rollaboards so hopefully there's a way to go by train? Specifics will be appreciated.

Would it be possible? yes, just.

Would it be exhausting? Yes, absolutely.

Would it be enjoyable ( in my opinion)? No, see above.

Spent two weeks in Tokyo in May this year, so yes we had the luxury of time, and we did everything on public transport. Public transport is surprisingly easy to navigate and all signs and announcements are in English. The fishmarket, or more specifically the market area adjacent to the fishmarket, Was absolutely fascinating to us and we spent about five hours there including lunch. Anyway, just noticed plan to spend longer there. A very good idea in my opinion as there is so much to see in Tokyo.