How to get from Manhattan cruise terminal to Cape Liberty

grayjay

We're booked on a "Celebrity Summit" cruise (New England cruise) in 2015. To make the long flight from Europe more worthwhile, we'd be interested in booking another cruise before or after. The only possibility open for us because of the dates involved would be a 7-day Bermuda cruise on "NCL Breakaway" which leaves out of New York, whereas the Summit departs from Cape Liberty.

How are out chances to reach both ports hassle-free on the same day? I'm not at all sure if it might be feasible at all - we won't be able to shlep all our luggage up and down trains or subways and costs for private transport might be sky-high.

Any advice from those who know their way around New York ?

Our alternative is to stay land-bound for a few days and explore New York instead of a mega-ship!

What airport are you flying in and out of? That will definitely affect your transportation costs, particularly if you are flying into JFK. Sailing from Cape Liberty you want to try to go in and out of Newark Airport.

The price of a car service to a NY hotel will be about the same as a car service to the NY Cruiseport (NCL sails from Manhattan), so you will have that expense regardless. To get back to Newark Airport from Manhattan you also have the option of the airport bus, which leaves from the street outside Port Authority Bus terminal for $16/pp. If you can arrange a round trip, it is $28/pp.

This means that when you disembark at Cape Liberty, you could take a shuttle to a Newark Airport terminal for $16/pp, pick up the airport bus outside the terminal(buying a round trip), and take a cab from Port Authority to the Manhattan Cruiseport for $10-12, making the cost of that trip about $70-72. Your return to Newark Airport would cost $38-40.

Thank you for your answers! It sounds do-able, but impractical and complicated. I think we'll say godbye to that idea and spend a few days in New York instead to explore that city. We'll fly to Newark , I think because it's near to Cape Liberty cruiseport and look for a suitable hotel in the area. There are a lot of good suggestions I found on cruisecritic for a nice hotel with good access to public transport or even a shuttle service.

We'll perhaps try for an alternative to sail in or out of Manhattan cruise terminal - I mean we'll just have to go on another cruise :rolleyes: - perhaps "Queen Mary" out of Hamburg or Southampton.... I wasn't to keen on a Bermuda cruise anyway...

Thank you again for your help.