RCCL Experts, I need your help on selecting a cruise!

Jessay

I would go on option 2.

if you and your friends like a laugh then Cozumel will be great for some fun bars for cocktails etc. I also think Labadee is a great experience, the best of the private islands in my opinion.

I'm not hot on Jamaica but I know alot love it and Dunns river falls is a good excursion.

Sent from my D6503 using Forums mobile app

Quite surprisingly, option 3 ends up being the cheapest by like $50 including airfare. Can anyone tell me which port in San Juan RCI goes to? From what I read there are to ports in SJ one in old San Juan and another location.

For what its worth, the balconies on the Adventure are not as nice as the Indy. They are encased in steel and no glass except about a foot. The Indy you can sit and watch the ocean go by, on Adventure I'm not sure that's the case. Plus Indy is a larger class ship.

Just saying....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

For what its worth, the balconies on the Adventure are not as nice as the Indy. They are encased in steel and no glass except about a foot. The Indy you can sit and watch the ocean go by, on Adventure I'm not sure that's the case. Plus Indy is a larger class ship.

Just saying....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

I've only been on Enchantment, as all of my other cruises were on Carnival. I was thoroughly impressed with both Enchantment's overall 'presentation' and my balcony room, which I believe will be a step up whether I choose Adventure or Independence.

Edited by Jessay

Quite surprisingly, option 3 ends up being the cheapest by like $50 including airfare. Can anyone tell me which port in San Juan RCI goes to? From what I read there are to ports in SJ one in old San Juan and another location.

We sailed from the Pan American Pier in San Juan. This is across the channel from Old San Juan. Ships visiting San Juan for the day usually dock at the piers of Old San Juan in front of the Sheraton Old San Juan.

Tom

Edited by tsconley19

AOS docks in Old San Juan but not directly. You have to take a cab. From the Airport it's 10-15 (depends on traffic) minute cab about $20 for 2-3 people. If you find a van you can all jump in.

I did a similar trip on AOS. I will be doing your trip in Nov. 2015.

I selected the trip because of the itinerary and it had the least days at sea.

"Half of a DINK and proud of it!."😜

I've sailed both ships. I did an 8 night Eastern Caribbean on the Independence. Also did a 7 night Southern (A) on the Adventure. The Independence is my favorite ship to date. The Adventure is close behind. We're sailing the Adventure again in March doing the itinerary you posted (B). We've done the (A) itinerary to Aruba etc... And absolutely loved it. For wow factor of a ship I would pick the Indy. For a port intensive itinerary, I would pick the Adventure. The Puerto Rican's on the ship are friendly albeit loud at times of competitions on the ship. Very proud people. Having been to San Juan several times, I never felt unsafe. Old San Juan is absolutely beautiful for exploring. Can be done in 1 day prior to a sailing.

The Adventure has been "refreshed" not "refurbished" that means they added some upgrades on the ship. Large poolside television screen. Touch screen finders near the elevators, and refreshed the cabins. Full refurbishment doesn't come until 2016 when the add a flow rider and additional restaurants etc..

You can't go wrong with either ship. Indy is newer and larger and more of a WOW factor. Eastern Caribbean IMO is better than Western. Southern is better than them all.

Both ships have a Royal Promenade walking mall in the center of the ships. Indy's is slightly larger/wider. Similar shops and restaurants.

Perhaps you could get a consensus of what your friends want to do. Ports vs. ships

Also go to YouTube and type in each ship. There will be many videos posted for you to review. An excellent wat to see real up to date conditions of the ships.

Good luck on your decision, you really can't go wrong with your choice.

Tom

Tom

I'm glad you pointed out that the AOS was "Refreshed" and not "Refurbished". I was about to point that out as well. We just got off the AOS and had a great time but we were disappointed with the condition of the ship. We have not been on the Indy but have been on Voyager and Mariner and both are much nicer that AOS in our opinion. AOS is showing her age. Even the artwork in the stairwells have been "worn" by people abusing it. It's ready for a refurb. The staff was friendly and attentive. I believe they were in the process of turnover of the ship singers and dancers during our cruise so the production shows were lacking. It should be fine by the time you sail.

We went B2B so we got to experience both itineraries which were great. Embarkation and Debarkation in San Juan is great. Easy on, easy off. We stayed at the Hilton Caribe the night before which is a very nice property.

To the OP: You can't go wrong with any option! Keep in mind that itineraries are great but most of your time is actually spent on the ship.

Cheers

Terry

. I've read how cruising out of Puerto Rico isn't the best idea, but I really would love to hear what you all would think is the best in regards to both the cruise and itinerary! Thank you!

I loved cruising out of San Juan and this itinerary, ,but your friends who never cruised before would probably be more wowed with the Freedom class ship.

Just saying....

We don't find the view from Adventure balconies above deck 6 to be that much different than the newer ships. We also like the greater privacy on the Adventure balconies.

I will be celebrating my undergrad graduation this May, and my friends and I are trying to select a cruise. We're all aware that we need to make a decision ASAP, but we're having a difficult time deciding with the many pros and cons of each ship, so I thought that the boards may be able to help.

Thank you on advanced! Below are our options:

Option 1:

INDEPENDENCE OF THE SEAS

Day 1Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Day 2Cruising

Day 3San Juan, Puerto Rico

Day 4Philipsburg, St. Maarten

Day 5Basseterre, St. Kitts

Day 6Cruising

Day 7Cruising

Day 8Fort Lauderdale, Florida

$3,869.40

Option 2

Independence Of The Seas

Day 1Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Day 2Cruising

Day 3Labadee, Haiti

Day 4Falmouth, Jamaica

Day 5George Town, Grand Cayman

Day 6Cozumel, Mexico

Day 7Cruising

Day 8Fort Lauderdale, Florida

$ 3,666.68

Option 3

ADVENTURE OF THE SEAS

13-JunSan Juan, Puerto Rico

14-JunSt. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands

15-JunPhilipsburg, St. Maarten

16-JunSt. John's, Antigua

17-JunCastries, St. Lucia

18-JunBridgetown, Barbados

19-JunCruising

20-JunSan Juan, Puerto Rico

$ 3,436.76

I've done all itineraries (except south carib.), but I'm taking some people who have never even been on a cruise, and I really want them to be impressed. I've read how cruising out of Puerto Rico isn't the best idea, but I really would love to hear what you all would think is the best in regards to both the cruise and itinerary! Thank you!

A close call but I'd go with #3

All are very good itineraries. Unlike some folks, we very much enjoy sailing from San Juan. We always head to port a few days early and SJ has some fabulous beaches and nightlife. It is tougher to get there and isn't cheap but sailing the S Caribbean itinerary out of SJ is always a favorite.

Good luck - you can't make a bad choice here.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app