1st timer alaska cruise

lasvegaswojo

Never been on a cruise. Never thought I'd want to. 12 lifelong friends of my wife are all going together in Sept 05 and we signed up. I've heard nothing but good things from others who have cruised alaska so now i'm excited. However, it is a bit of a letdown to read various reviews on this cruise -- Sun Princess. But as with everything each person's experience is unique and no two people see things the same way. Anyway -- here are the questions I can think of now and I truly appreciate those of you who take the time to respond. (1) How difficult would it be for me to "stash" a bottle or two of scotch in my luggage so I have something to keep in my room? (2) We are setting up our own rooms at an anchorage hotel the day before boarding so it is not part of our package. However, we do have "bus transfers" (?) for transport to the ship from Anchorage. Someone said we could meet up with the "bus" at the airport or the Anchorage convention center. Any tips or suggestions? I'm 49 and my wife is 45. Any other 1st timer tips would be very much welcomed. Thank you so much! Steve in Las Vegas

Steve,

You are going to love cruising, and love Alaska. :)

Suggest you read the very first post on the very first page “Members share what you need to know about Princess.” Lots of great information in there.

Next I suggest you check out the Alaska portion of these boards – scroll down to the "Ports of Call" area. Again, read, read, and read some more.

Once you have a feel for things, start to post specific questions on the appropriate board, and you will me amazed at all the answers you get.

As a first timer to Alaska – just got back last month - I can say Alaska is about “going and doing.” Look over the excursions available in each port you’ll be in, and think about which activities you’d like to participate in. In some cases, independent excursions will be better than ship line sponsored excursion.

As for the booze, I understand that you can buy a bottle on board for use in your room for about what you would pay for it at home. I’ve never done it, so I can’t say for sure. Also, on the Alaska board, there are many posts about getting to/from Anchorage, so you might want to do a search on that board for that.

Sorry if I could not be more specific, but I’m certain that others will chime in with more specific answers.

Have a great cruise. :)

Jim,

Many, many people smuggle the booze in the luggage--but you can usually buy the whole bottle onboard for about the same as at home. And no worries of broken bottles in the luggage. Check the Princess site under the onboard gifts section to see what the brands are, and plan about 2 dollars LESS cost onboard at the lobby bar. Other brands also available onboard, but the ones they have lots and lots of are in the gift section

I replied to your transfer question under the other question you posted.

Something else to add, take lots of layering clothing, Alaska weather really varies. And now go have fun.

For a group your size, you may wish to consider cancelling your ships transfers (assuming you can get you $$ back) and chartering the Magic Bus.

We used them for our group to go from Whittier to our Anchorage motel, and it was a private tour for about $5 per person more than ships transfers. Had them from 9AM till 3PM. While we waited fro the tunnel to open, we planned out a beautiful day.

Their link is http://www.themagicbus.com/, and if you give Tim a call, I'm sure he will take good care of you. :)

Quick suggestion on the liquor. Rather than lug a bottle in your luggage, consider a trip to your local liquor store, and buy the little plastic "airline" bottles. A bit more costly, but a whole lot lighter and safer to carry with you. We bring scotch (easily mixed with water, or neat on the rocks), rum- easy with Coke, and some vodka (we'll order some extra OJ from room service and stick it in the fridge in the cabin, for screwdrivers before dinner).

Have a great trip- you're going to love it !!

Archived