Looking for tips for touring on your own

Cruise NH

We'll be going to the following ports this coming Feb/Mar and the excursions offered by the cruise line do not, for the most part, inspire us.

Bora Bora, Rarotonga, Papeete, Apia, Suva, Port Vila

So....I'm hoping some of you could give us some tips on selecting 'taxis' or tour operators once docked. I usually do a lot of research about a tour operator before selecting them but in this case we'll be choosing on the fly. Any advice or even specific tours you know would help.

What do you experienced South Pacific cruisers look for?

CruiseNH - On Tahiti, Samoa and Vanuatu I'd rent a car. Driving in all places is easy (Papeete and Vila can be a bit traffic-choked) and then you can get away on your own and explore. On Tahiti you need to forget beaches, do the circle tour and just concentrate on the jaw-dropping scenery. On Samoa you need to drive across the island and head for the amazing beaches where, for a nominal charge or custom fee, you can rent a beach fale. Efate, the main island on which Port Vila is located, has some great scenery, traditional villages and nice beaches. If your ship is a biggie, and I guess it is, all those passengers will be headed for the touristy things like craft markets and waterfalls, all of which are missable in my view and will be crowded anyway.

To be honest, there isn't any really great must-see sight on any of these islands. It's all about soaking up the South Seas atmosphere and the scenery.

We'll be going to the following ports this coming Feb/Mar and the excursions offered by the cruise line do not, for the most part, inspire us.

Bora Bora, Rarotonga, Papeete, Apia, Suva, Port Vila

So....I'm hoping some of you could give us some tips on selecting 'taxis' or tour operators once docked. I usually do a lot of research about a tour operator before selecting them but in this case we'll be choosing on the fly. Any advice or even specific tours you know would help.

What do you experienced South Pacific cruisers look for?

I would do your usual research and book excursions BEFORE you leave, rather than 'on the fly'. If you are sailing a large ship there will be hundreds of fellow passengers that will be chocking up the dockside using what little resources available..Agree the ship tours can be dull and expensive so book private excursions with reputable tours (found on CC, TripA, RCalls of other cruises etc...)In these rural itineraries there are few options for DYI in walking distance of the dock, taxis could be few & public transport nonexistent. Have a plan and book ASAP as good excursions fill fast.

I would do your usual research and book excursions BEFORE you leave, rather than 'on the fly'. If you are sailing a large ship there will be hundreds of fellow passengers that will be chocking up the dockside using what little resources available..Agree the ship tours can be dull and expensive so book private excursions with reputable tours (found on CC, TripA, RCalls of other cruises etc...)In these rural itineraries there are few options for DYI in walking distance of the dock, taxis could be few & public transport nonexistent. Have a plan and book ASAP as good excursions fill fast.

Is this based on your own experience? I've seen on people's blogs that they are lots of tour type people on the docks, if that's not true then that would be a different matter.

Fletcher - I think for the amount of time we'd be places it wouldn't be worth the bother to rent a car but thanks for the suggestion.

There are some options, but nothing like what you experience in the Caribbean. When reading a blog, you also have to consider how many other people were in port when they visited as well as how experienced they are with the area. I wouldn't wait until the last minute to book, otherwise you have no idea what the quality of the excursion will be or if you'll get one at all.

Edited to say that the concept of a port call in FP is also very different. They are small docks, not ports, except for Papeete. There is not a lot of space or infrastructure around them.

Edited by RZ3

Is this based on your own experience? I've seen on people's blogs that they are lots of tour type people on the docks, if that's not true then that would be a different matter.

Fletcher - I think for the amount of time we'd be places it wouldn't be worth the bother to rent a car but thanks for the suggestion.

Based on my own experience on a 10 day cruise March/April 2014.

The only dock that we saw some vendors (reputable??) were Raiatea & Papeete

The limited time you'd be in each port is exactly the reason why a well planned

itinerary is important.

• 2 weeks later...

Based on my OWN experiences, the small So.Pacific Isles have no large 'Cities' except for Papeete,Tahiti. Grab a taxi and go either Left or Right; as you most certainly will cross paths with fellow ship-mates in any event. Your Taxi 'tour' may be a ride fully around the rim of the Island. Or it may be to rendezvous with a snorkel trip with 20 others for 1/2 day at a nearby beach, perhaps a 'snoop' from a lookout above the harbor. GOOGLE up your island stops, carry $5's and $10's, grab your ship's map and plan on a low-key day ashore. Locomotiveman Tom