Ruby Princess to Alaska - should I keep E725 mini or move up to Dolphin?

yndygo

I know there's a ton of debate about the Dolphin minisuite decks b/c they are uncovered and after reading a bunch of Cruise Critic posts, I opted to book E725 on the Emerald deck instead.

But now I'm second guessing myself. More research shows that it's above Club Fusion on the "quieter" side... only I'm totally annoyed by 'bass through the floor' (DH & DD can sleep through anything.) Apparently there's a smoking area "Starboard Aft" 2 floors down on the Promenade too? Does the smoke drift up or will the wind whisk that away? :eek:

The whole reason we're opting for a balcony is so I can sit on it and watch the views - and we're doing a mini b/c my daughter won't sleep in an upper so we are limited on location and would prefer the space.

Are the Dolphin deck balconies really that bad? It seems like it would be awesome to sit and watch the stars... but if it's raining? :confused:

If you've been in one or the other or just have a preference, I'd appreciate any input!! :)

Thanks in Advance!!

Keep the Emerald deck Mini! I've been in E725 on several different ships and you won't hear anything from below. It's quiet and private. You'll appreciate it in Alaska if it's rainy or chilly and you can enjoy your balcony while those on Dolphin deck are inside.

Thank you *so* much!! This is why I come here. No one has better cruising advice than the CC'ers!

Keeping my Emerald.

My folks will be in an aft on Baja - so I'll post pics of both when we get back. :D

I would keep the Emerald ( but I do not know about the noise) in Alaska but when we cruise in the warm Carribean, we go for Dolphin mini , because it is a mini but also because of the open balcony. We escape the snow to enjoy the warm outdoor and love the open balcony.

My vote is to keep it.

1. You have a large covered baloney. Great considering the variable weather in Alaska.

2. It is on the "quiet" side of the Club Fusion. You should be fine.

This is an ideal cabin location in our (wife and I) opinion.

Love the Alaska cruise....Enjoy.:cool:

Thank you *so* much!! This is why I come here. No one has better cruising advice than the CC'ers!

Keeping my Emerald.

My folks will be in an aft on Baja - so I'll post pics of both when we get back. :D

I'll be watching for your photos. We're sailing Princess for the first time next month and I can already tell we're going to love it. We couldn't get an aft cabin (which we prefer) but I'd love any aft cabin photos.

Our cabin on the Grand is E729 --which I booked because of CC members' reviews. It's the last one before the stern so the balcony is longer.

BabsinTX - I'll make a point to get them up then! :) Of course, it's not until May! But I totally get it. I went looking all over too! The views from the aft look divine!

Alaska is one of the cruises that for me is a 'must-have-balcony' because what I want to do is sit on my own balcony and watch the nature go by. Honestly, the cruising bit is more important to me than the port bits! :)