LittleMissMagic's ~INDEPENDENCE~ Christmas Cruise **Photo Review**

16444207251_80e7950b73_b.jpg

Legend of the Seas by vshingl, on Flickr

16445972025_d4f6683bfb_b.jpg

Labadee by vshingl, on Flickr

Labadee

We had been to Labadee once before in 2008, but a lot has changed since then. Before launching mega-ships Allure and Oasis, Royal Caribbean added a dock to Labadee so that passengers can walk straight off the ship, rather than tendering ashore (imagine doing that on a 6,000 passenger ship).

Now, I had heard that Royal Caribbean had really up'd their game with Labadee in the past few years. They've added other amenities/novelties like a roller coaster and water slide. And, of course, there is the zipline over the water... but that was there back in 2008 (only back then it was $75 per person, and now they're asking a whopping $95).

16445971835_4623eff92e_b.jpg

Novelties are great, but we came for the beach. While there is a lot of beach, it should be noted that swimming is only permitted in designated areas along the south side of the island (though there were plenty of people wading in the water on Adrenaline Beach, anyway).

16259738609_58fb6d33a7_b.jpg

Labadee Map by vshingl, on Flickr

We tried for the beach at Columbus Cove, first, but it was already pretty crowded, so we moved on to Adrenaline Beach. Every five minutes or so, you hear screaming of the people riding on the zipline.

15825898363_defeaa51a4_b.jpg

I tried to nap on the beach, but between the random periods of rain, screaming zipliners, and the terrible smell of secondhand smoke drifting my way, I wasn't able to get much rest...

15823481034_8a69cc9df8_b.jpg

Smoking on the Beach by vshingl, on Flickr

16258605980_449b392586_b.jpg

16445057572_f874c8e563_b.jpg

I was a little disappointed in the limited dining hours on Labadee. The buffet was only open from noon to 2PM which resulted in long lines during the entire two hour period. I'm a hangry person... I don't do well with long lines for food.

16258334378_41a16b4c13_b.jpg

Island Buffet by vshingl, on Flickr

I had a little giggle with Labadee's tram system. Disney's Castaway Cay uses the same trams on the island as they do in their theme park parking lots - very sturdy vehicles built to carry thousands of passengers per day. So I couldn't help but smile to see Labadee's passenger cars being pulled by tractors!

15823479344_6e145da027_b.jpg

Labadee Tram by vshingl, on Flickr

The wait was long, but the buffet was worth the wait. It was perhaps the best lunch food I had eaten all week (maybe even the best food all week?). Dad and Rachel had hamburgers and said they were better than anything they had eaten on the ship, including Johnny Rockets.

16446004755_2b772f7a6f_b.jpg

16444240411_58ee29ef4c_b.jpg

The wait was long, but the buffet was worth the wait. It was perhaps the best lunch food I had eaten all week (maybe even the best food all week?). Dad and Rachel had hamburgers and said they were better than anything they had eaten on the ship, including Johnny Rockets.

I am really surprised to read that. Either the food on Labadee was really good your week or the food on the ship was really bad. The only reason I ate on Labadee when we were there is because the Windjammer was closed.

We had been to Labadee once before in 2008, but a lot has changed since then. Before launching mega-ships Allure and Oasis, Royal Caribbean added a dock to Labadee so that passengers can walk straight off the ship, rather than tendering ashore (imagine doing that on a 6,000 passenger ship).

Now, I had heard that Royal Caribbean had really up'd their game with Labadee in the past few years. They've added other amenities/novelties like a roller coaster and water slide. And, of course, there is the zipline over the water... but that was there back in 2008 (only back then it was $75 per person, and now they're asking a whopping $95)

Welcome back! :)

I think they ruined Labadee. Used to be such a peaceful beach spot...and now it's like Disney...everything paved over, activities everywhere.

Glad you had a good lunch- you must have hit the buffet right when they replenished the food because everytime we've been there, the food was lukewarm, picked over, and blech!

Edited by micmacmissy

I think they ruined Labadee. Used to be such a peaceful beach spot...and now it's like Disney...everything paved over, activities everywhere.

Glad you had a good lunch- you must have hit the buffet right when they replenished the food because everytime we've been there, the food was lukewarm, picked over, and blech!

I agree. I think that they turned Gilligan's Island into Coney Island.

I agree. I think that they turned Gilligan's Island into Coney Island.

Lol, could not agree more! I have photos from our first trip there (in 2007) and it was unspoiled and beautiful. Nothing there, except a small food area, and some local vendors set up, playfully haggling with passengers. Sigh. It's a real three ring circus now.

I tried to nap on the beach, but between the random periods of rain, screaming zipliners, and the terrible smell of secondhand smoke drifting my way, I wasn't able to get much rest...

I was a little disappointed in the limited dining hours on Labadee. The buffet was only open from noon to 2PM which resulted in long lines during the entire two hour period. I'm a hangry person... I don't do well with long lines for food.

Welcome Back. As always a very well done review, but I'm getting the feeling that perhaps you are not feeling the WOW on this cruise. Hopefully your next cruise will be better. Do you think it was a mistake to return to Royal?

Edited by Cruising_Tiger

Maybe she was very hungry is why the food was so good lol. Food always tastes better when you're starvng :)

I totally agree with Labadee being "ruined". I've been 4-5 times both before and after the development and I now avoid itineraries going here. If I ever do come back here I may try the upgraded excursion to Malfini Beach cause I heard it was good, but having to PAY for what used to be all over the island for free is sad.

I did a little island exploring after lunch. I didn't take photos of the market because I didn't want to stop. Just walking through, vendors were trying to dress me in jewelry (they're really aggressive) - I knew if I took a photograph, I would have to buy something, and I had no paper money. So this is the closest photograph of the market to be had...

16446004415_f5cfcd7cf2_b.jpg

Labadee Tram by vshingl, on Flickr

16258331998_0639083921_b.jpg

Water play area for children... I also kept my distance here as not to seem like a creep.

16259752309_27eb6a5eea_b.jpg

Plenty of chairs for sunning, but you cannot swim on this part of the beach -

16444238511_3ff596ce9c_b.jpg

16258329668_d74f40993b_b.jpg

16444237241_713d75c40d_b.jpg

Dragon's Lookout Point

Perhaps the coolest part of the island is Dragon's Lookout Point which has preserved natural rock formations and provides great views of the island, as well as back towards the ship.

16258596840_11d88afba7_b.jpg

Dragon's Breath Point by vshingl, on Flickr

16258324438_c66fd05661_b.jpg

16420003606_d812b6034a_b.jpg

16445047102_86c7b49e71_b.jpg

16259744039_b9a2ec2418_b.jpg

16260087217_400a6d0e7a_b.jpg

The waves crash into the water here and create some pretty epic splashes.

16420001396_b25a737a0d_b.jpg

Perhaps with the gimmick of the zipline and aqua park, this area seems to be overlooked. It was hardly crowded at all and is a wonderful location for tourist-free photos.

16260086307_b5277807e2_b.jpg

16258320688_e42639f337_b.jpg

16260084997_4a3f8a039f_b.jpg

16419999196_68e1c35a7e_b.jpg

15823465494_0a5b6e2009_b.jpg

Maybe she was very hungry is why the food was so good lol. Food always tastes better when you're starvng :)

I totally agree with Labadee being "ruined". I've been 4-5 times both before and after the development and I now avoid itineraries going here. If I ever do come back here I may try the upgraded excursion to Malfini Beach cause I heard it was good, but having to PAY for what used to be all over the island for free is sad.

I agree- I just feel like I never need to go back. It's hard to avoid Labadee if your top cruise lines are RCL and Celebrity though! And I can't even imagine being there with two ships in port- ugh! It's crowded enough with one.

I agree- I just feel like I never need to go back. It's hard to avoid Labadee if your top cruise lines are RCL and Celebrity though! And I can't even imagine being there with two ships in port- ugh! It's crowded enough with one.

I also try to avoid itineraries with Labadee on it. The exception has been Indy's 8 nighters out of FLL. I figure Labadee is a trade off for an extra day on the cruise.

Barefoot Beach Club

I was not special enough to enter this gated beach area reserved for suite guests (grand suite and larger). The two gates were heavily monitored with security guards, too.

15823463474_d5d106cd77_b.jpg

Behind the Barefoot Beach Club, there are some lovely-looking ruins.

15823463184_dbbbbfe2bb_b.jpg

15823462384_dec4d2cd1c_b.jpg

Columbus Cove

Along the south side, swimming is allowed here.

16445987295_547b45329b_b.jpg

There's also an aqua park (which, of course, is an additional fee for a designated time of use).

15823461294_b8ed8a4dea_b.jpg

16260078907_eb940e6437_b.jpg

16419992876_68d9a9cb76_b.jpg

Adrenaline Beach

I made my way back to our spot on Adrenaline Beach and tried out Labadee's signature drink, the Labadoozie. Bleh. The bartenders walk around with the drinks pre-mixed and already in souvenir glasses, as well as a bottle of rum which they add to your drink when you purchase it (this way, they can also sell it virgin). Of course, this means that all of the rum is on top of your cup, and frozen drinks aren't the easiest to mix, so chances are that you're going to end up with a lot of rum at the end... if you make it that far. For me, I just didn't care for the taste. It reminded me of a Four Loco or a Strawberita... neither a taste which I associate with good decisions.

16419992426_c3a3eea74c_b.jpg

Labadoozie by vshingl, on Flickr

16258313118_0c4bd26b71_b.jpg

16259733719_33540a2904_b.jpg

We like to spend as long as possible on private islands (one port where they really can't sail away without us). It's so relaxing when the beach empties out (and the herds of screaming zipliners slow down).

15823459014_03d1c37227_b.jpg

15823458444_f745ee086b_b.jpg

16445980235_97c3ce8f80_b.jpg

16258578810_38f6087025_b.jpg

Enjoying the last day in paradise...

16445979175_1bb91956bc_b.jpg

16445978115_89ce56795a_b.jpg

As far as private islands go, I will rank Labadee a steady Number 2... but that being said, I don't think they are even on a level to compete with Disney's Castaway Cay (which, in my opinion, is the best cruise line-owned private island by far).

Bon Voyage!

We lingered for a while longer, then made our way back towards the ship. Legend of the Seas was already sailing away.

15825904743_237179c788_b.jpg

Independence of the Seas by vshingl, on Flickr

"I just can't help my selfie."

16419984056_b76c93fd77_b.jpg

Ship Selfie by vshingl, on Flickr

16444211791_89cbb56104_b.jpg

Legend of the Seas by vshingl, on Flickr

15825903723_06d95b7fe3_b.jpg

Independence of the Seas by vshingl, on Flickr

After returning to the ship, we were able to watch Legend of the Seas sail away. I've said this before, but I love watching ships sail away because everyone is waving at one another. Just think of how many people - strangers - are waving at once. It's not something you see as people depart on airplanes or in trains... but cruise ships, perhaps due to the Love Boat, just encourage people to wave, Bon Voyage!