Conquest and Running Track

onegroundcafe

I will be in the midst of half marathon training for our upcoming cruise. Does anyone know how many laps around the running track is a mile for the Conquest? Also does anyone know how many laps around a regular deck would be? Just trying to plan some things out so I don't have to use the dreadmill so much.

I will be in the midst of half marathon training for our upcoming cruise. Does anyone know how many laps around the running track is a mile for the Conquest? Also does anyone know how many laps around a regular deck would be? Just trying to plan some things out so I don't have to use the dreadmill so much.

There really aren't any regular decks that go all the way around the ship where you could run.

Also, don't forget, depending on your itinerary, there may be mapped routes for runners in your ports. I think Map My Run has several, and there may be other sites out there. Additionally, remember that it's the weekly long run and the interval sets that count most in long distance training. So if your goal is to just finish before the course closes, dropping your ship based runs to 2-3 miles won't hurt your training. If you're following an easy/hard schedule like Jeff Galloway promotes, make your cruise week an easy week. And don't become a "no-rest zombie" in training. Skipping or backing off a bit hallway through isn't going to prevent you from reaching your goals or endurance capabilities.

Running on a ship is different. It is not too bad on treadmill in the spa looking out the window. But hours on a treadmill just don’t cut it for me. At the right times the running track is almost empty. I hate counting laps so I just run a set amount of time. Sometimes I ride the elevator all the way down and walk up the stairs to the top. Have a fun cruise.

I was two-three weeks out from my last half-marathon when we were on a two-week NCL cruise in November. I NEVER vary from my schedule. Therefore, we had to run 10 miles on a treadmill one day as it was raining and the seas were high. OMG. It was not fun trying to run and not fall off the treadmill. You can use your GPS watch as long as the ship is in port. We ran 8 miles one day while in port. It was hot but doable. Lots of laps. People will stop in the middle of the track, take pictures, look out at the sea, etc. Its just like the walkers who start at the front of a race with no intention of going fast. LOL. We use polka chips/rubber bands or just about anything to try to keep track of laps. Just move rubber bands from one wrist to another after each lap and then start putting them back to the other wrist after first mile. Good luck to you in your race!