What is the hurry to board?

gertieginsc

Carnival gives you the option to board earlier. But, you have to pay.

I didn't know that. I guess that is what you get on a budget cruise line. Yet another reason why Carnival is my absolute last choice for a cruise line. ;)

Edited by fortinweb

The ship does not sail until 8pm. Why do guests board early instead of taking advantage of sightseeing - especially on a one way cruise?

Thanks,

GertiginSC

For one thing, the ship usually sails between 4.30 and 6. For another, Southampton isn't all that scenic.

And as I've never yet been on a cruise line that hasn't got the cabins ready before boarding starts, there is no issue with carrying luggage.

One of the luxuries of being retired is being able to fly in several days early and stay several days later to enjoy the port city. Since we live in southern New Hampshire, which saw sub zero temperatures just a few days ago, we are looking forward to our cruise out of Fort Lauderdale later this month.

On the other hand, one of the problems is the check out time at hotels. Most hotels are excellent at accommodating early check-ins on arrival day when you are basically thrown off of the ship or may be at the mercy of an early arriving flight. If they are to accommodate such folks, it usually means not allowing late check-outs in an effort to turn around the rooms. Many hotels have check-out times at 11 or even 10 a.m. Thus, what do you do with your luggage? I suppose you can put it in storage, go sightseeing, maybe continue to enjoy the pool or you can board the ship early and begin the next aspect of your vacation. I prefer to begin the next part of my vacation!:D