PATH Safe at Night with Senior and Teen??

rclibertygirl5

We are going to be staying at the Doubletree in Jersey City for our pre-cruise stay in early April. We are planning on going into NYC on Saturday morning and we probably won't come back to the hotel until after dinner. We are planning on using the PATH. It will be myself (46yo female), my 13yo daughter and my 66yo mother. Will us ladies be safe traveling on the PATH particularly when we are returning back after dinner? How long is the walk from the PATH station to the Doubletree?

Thanks so much for all your help!

You should be fine. It's about 4 blocks to the Doubletree along the main drag Washington Blvd. When we stayed at the Courtyard there were folks out on the street at all hours. Newport mall is open until 9:30 pm and the whole area is a mix of offices, apartments, restaurants, and shopping.

If you're really concerned, just go to the Courtyard right there at the Newport Station and ask them to get a cab for you.

You should be fine.

I agree, I go to the Movies that are at the Mall late showing getting out 11p and walk to the PATH station and feel safe with my DW.

While a lot of this walking is within the office tower between the PATH station and the Mall we do cross Washington Blvd and have walked to some of the restaurants and to BJ's warehouse (though not that late, closer to 9pm) and feel fine.

rclibertygirl5, just adding my voice to that of the previous posters here to reassure you that, yes, this is in fact one of the safest and most convenient areas where you could stay. There are no "dodgy" stretches or run-down buildings between the Doubletree and the Newport PATH station or anywhere nearby--quite the contrary, you'll find yourself on a clean, well-lit, well-traveled boulevard with a mix of modern office buildings, restaurants, and upscale condos and shopping facilities. The place is not deserted after dark; you'll encounter plenty of other pedestrians strolling along happily.

The PATH trains themselves are modern and clean. Most of your fellow PATH-riders will be people much like yourselves coming home to Jersey City from New York City. It's just a five- or six-minutes' walk from the Newport PATH station to the Doubletree along Washington Boulevard.

Of course, muggings can happen anywhere, but the difference between the Jersey City waterfront area here and certain other urban areas is like night and day. Not only won't you be afraid--you'll be positively impressed. When you return home you'll be telling your friends and neighbors what a great location this is!:)